AT&T Planning to Launch "Phone Trade-In" Program in June; In Time for the New iPhone?

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageAT&T Planning to Launch "Phone Trade-In" Program in June; In Time for the New iPhone?

BGR has just reported an interesting rumor for iPhone users in the US who are planning to upgrade to the next generation iPhone which is rumored to be launched in June. BGR is claiming that they have got some details on a “Phone Trade-In” program that AT&T is apparently planning...

Read the full story here

Comments

• 1hihum
    1hihum Posts: 15
    via Wordpress

Sounds fishy to me. The iPhone, just like any other product out there, gains power with numbers. The more iPhones out in the public's hands the better. The more phones out there, the more likely developers are to step into app development. Current owners are more likely to sell their old phones, or pass them on to family members, than to just let them sit in a drawer. That means more iFart apps sold, more people buying songs on iTunes, more customers with AT&T, more market share, all of which is good for business. It also introduces the iphone to many people who may not otherwise buy an iPhone. Most people who buy a used iPhone or get one from a family member, would not pony up full price, or sign on for a two year contract. After using an older one, they may be more inclined to buy a new one next time.
    And I doubt that apple is going to be opening up a larger refurb market, especially since the prices for their current refurbs aren't very cheap anyway.
    And as for subsidizing...in these economic times, far fewer people are likely to pay the high price they are gonna be asking. Just imagine how many fewer 3G's they would have sold if they were unsubsidized.
    Just doesn't sound right to me, but what do i know...I still think that emojicons don't hurt anyone, and that MMS should work on my iPhone (shrugging my shoulders)

• Chris Wade
    Chris Wade Posts: 50
    via Wordpress

My guess is that they have made hardware changes in the new phones to prevent jailbreaking as it stands now and they want to get the existing phones that can be jailbroken off the street.

• Jonny H
    Jonny H Posts: 47
    via Wordpress

Why don't they just announce the next iphone already? Dag yo.

• Betty
    Betty Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
  • Dirk
    Dirk Posts: 21
    via Wordpress

just sell it on eBay. if it's jailbroken/unlocked you'll get much more than $200.

• Marcus
    Marcus Posts: 91
    via Wordpress

I will be upgrading to the new one if the features we have been clamoring for are there and then I will give my iPhone 3g to my brother I wont be trading it in for a measly 200 bucks especially since its jailbroke, I might get one of my other cheaper phones out of the drawer and trade those in

• duluen
    duluen Posts: 16
    via Wordpress

I already have a standing order for my phone come June. Getting twice that cause it's unlocked and such. AT&T can keep thier piddly handout. They are just trying to get folks to sell them thier old iPhones so there are no off contract devices out there to put on tmoble.

• MatTt
    MatTt Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

With every new iphone going from the 8g to the 16g original, and from the 16g original to the 16g 3g, I have been able to sell my current jailbroken phone for MORE money than the cost of the newer one. Don't go for the trade in.