iPhone Firmware 3.0 Beta Hacked to Enable USB Tethering

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageiPhone Firmware 3.0 Beta Hacked to Enable USB Tethering

One of the features in iPhone firmware 3.0 that Apple strangely didn't announce was support for tethering but provided some details about the feature during the Q&A session. Irish iPhone developer, Steven Troughton-Smith who had figured out a way to enable Emoji icons in iPhone firmware 2.2 with a simple...

Read the full story here

Comments

• J
    J Posts: 131
    via Wordpress

let me bend over some more AT&T so you can shove another $30 (or even $10) to me for tethering! #%@#%#$#!

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

Few more points:

You won't have to hack your iPhone when firmware 3.0 is released in summer and your carrier supports tethering, Steven Troughton-Smith as this is still beta.

He has mentioned that MMS was enabled in his plans.

Most carriers charge an additional fee for the tethering functionality so its not really about AT&T.

• teyteees
    teyteees Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

How was this iphone unlocked with 3.0? Was it a 2.28 baseband from dev-team's new update beta or factory unlocked?

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

It wasn't unlocked, Steven Troughton-Smith seems to have hacked some settings to get it to work. since he is an iPhone developer he has access to the beta firmware and was able to activate it as he has a dev account.

• maniip
    maniip Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

have you guys noticed the magnifying glass above the mail app?? anyone knows what is it for?

• Brett Simonsen
    Brett Simonsen Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

That's the new search function that will be in 3.0, when you swipe to the right side instead of the usual left side you will get a search menu where you can type anything you want to find on your iphone and it will list everything with those words in it and where it's located on the phone, just press on the one you want and the program will open. Pretty much just like the search function in Windows Vista.

• bastian gatten
    bastian gatten Posts: 43
    via Wordpress

Ok as long as PDAnet still works AT&T and/or any other carrier can take their teathering bundles and shove them where the sun don't shine... A thank you very much.

• Tj
    Tj Posts: 102
    via Wordpress

Well as long as they've made it an official feature it won't take long for a hack to come out that'll enable it for free. All it does is link the two connections together, which is how PDANet does it, but because it's currently so difficult to figure that out they charge for it on jailbreak. Since it'll be within the normal developer API's, it should be much easier to access and use freely. AT&T doesn't know if I'm using my internet connection with the iPhone or the Computer, so it does seem like a relatively simple hack.

• Marcus
    Marcus Posts: 91
    via Wordpress

i for one will use pdanet and try not to use too much data to tip At&t off i wont be taking it up the butt and paying extra fees for it

• Nour
    Nour Posts: 12
    via Wordpress

Pdanet thank you guys.

• Charlie
    Charlie Posts: 41
    via Wordpress

Or spotlight on mac :P

• punktilend
    punktilend Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

tethering should be free, its not like your using anything that you wouldn't if you where to use your phone for internet

• Geoff
    Geoff Posts: 12
    via Wordpress

Yes you are, you download a lot more data when browsing the full site on a laptop then you do on the phone, not to mention it's easier to download files on the computer.

• grumpnet
    grumpnet Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

I agree, if you keep the tethering to a minimum you won't have to take it up the A**! Also, why use Pdanet or any other app, just ssh and port forward it. It's actually better than the other solutions and it's free. I tried them all and found myself uninstalling them to go manual and connect direct.

• what29
    what29 Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

I was a genius and bricked my iphone 2 days ago and was stuck until i found the website that i linked to my name above, just click on my name to go there. They had me up and running in no time and i now have complete access to their Apple developers account with my own user ID and password. It was worth it, just my 2 cents for anyone who is in the same boat i was.