Can we expect these Palm Pre like features in iPhone firmware 3.0?

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageCan we expect these Palm Pre like features in iPhone firmware 3.0?

You might have read our earlier post about Digg's Kevin Rose providing some details on what to expect in iPhone firmware 3.0 which will be previewed this Tuesday. One of the interesting things that he mentioned was that as per his source iPhone firmware 3.0 will have Palm Pre like...

Read the full story here

Comments

• jack
    jack Posts: 149
    via Wordpress

i just want landscape!!!!

• James
    James Posts: 258
    via Wordpress

it seems apple left out all the most basic stuff and vouched to capture their audience with the incredible, and then give them the basics later on. they got me!

• Egypt
    Egypt Posts: 115
    via Wordpress

Need I emphasize how bad i want bluetooth?!?!!?!

• Egypt
    via Wordpress

Btw i dont think that background running is going to happen period because the iPhones ram isnt well enough to support more many programs at a time. While you play a game and listen to music, at times its a little laggy so unless apple optimizes everything on the iphone so it can use little ram, they will have to send everyone hardware upgrades through the mail with a manual on how to install ram on your iphone.

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

Hey Egypt,

We know all about it :) and its a feature quite a few readers want as well.

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

Actually Kevin Rose mentioned no background apps but referred to multi-tasking so not really sure.

You might be right, there could be some hardware constraints to bring full fledged multi-tasking but as an alternative Apple should allow limited number of apps say one or two to run in the background like we had heard last month.

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

Nice way of putting it :)

• Egypt
    via Wordpress

I know kevin mentioned it i was just backing up it up with reasoning =). And i do agree with you on limiting the number of apps so i guess why categories isnt in the appstore. =/

• Nour
    Nour Posts: 12
    via Wordpress

On my jailbroken iphone I have eveything.
    I need only one thing live tv
    

• Kwopau
    Kwopau Posts: 294
    via Wordpress

yea a live tv would be nice but the battery wouldn't last long, for one it's like watching video + signal so there you go, power hungry. In Korea and Japan they have this feature called "DMB (Digital Multimedia Broadcasting)"so with this feature you can watch TV where ever you go. But i would believe you need this chip inside there to able to watch live shows or News"

• Nour
    Nour Posts: 12
    via Wordpress

All of them except live tv!!!
    

• Wii
    Wii Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

I am really looking forward to this update as it seems it is going to fix some of the basic things that have bugged me about it since I got mine.

• ppennza
    ppennza Posts: 5
    via Wordpress

Did anyone else.think the explanation of cut and paste made it seem harder then necessary why not just a tap and drag to highlight then copy or cut option

• freegadgets4you
    freegadgets4you Posts: 9
    via Wordpress

Personally i think all these features will never be on the iphone 3G.

I think it will be on the new iphone though, give's people a reason to upgrade to the new one.

Maybe a couple of months after the new one is out apple will add these features?

Apple and sony - Masters of selling the same product over and over again.

• Ralph Holmes
    Ralph Holmes Posts: 7
    via Wordpress

Bluetooth, txt forwarding, camera with flash and video

• albi
    albi Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

One of the Apple directors said that iPhone 3.0 will not be able to run apps in Background and will not have changes to Bluetooth :(
    But it will have Copy and Paste and maybe MMS :)

• ppennza
    ppennza Posts: 5
    via Wordpress

I agree the mms is outdated but... How many people have email on there phone. With the exception of a few of my friends that have iphones and blackberrys the rest have regular phones and dont have internet and email. It may be old but its what most people have and still usefull

• moz
    moz Posts: 63
    via Wordpress

Oh my god! I can't believe it! Is it Christmas? I mean look at all those new possible features!!!

Huh... Wait! I already got them and even more since I Jailbroke my phone!!!

Does that mean that I would actually downgrade my features in order to get the latest Apple "innovation"? That is definitely not going to happen!

And if Apple thinks that I'll buy a NEW iPhone in order to get all those features that I already got on my phone then dream on!

But then again who am I kidding? Apple don't give a damn about their customers need. As long as there is going to be lambs to fall for their trickery Apple's boat will float.

• TimWetter
    TimWetter Posts: 20
    via Wordpress

To be honest, i'm surprised that apple haven't released a full bluetooth via (cr)appstore and charged us a fortune for the pleasure.
    I'm wondering if (i've said this before on this site) Apple have managed to find a plug for their software that effectively blocks pwning therefore rendering Cydia (and installer) uninstallable. Think Apple & copyrights office (USofA) and eventually the UK patent office where they are looking to make Jailbreaking illegal (like i'm worried!!! all of my stuff has a bill of sale to go with it....NOT!!! )
    Don't know about others, but i'm intending to sit tight on 2.2.1 until the tech heads have examined the upgrade and told me what it's all about, i'm a tad dubious about this upgrade coming so soon after 2.2.1's release, i'm inclined to think that there's going to be a trade off between wanting what Apple offer us and maybe losing Cydia and the wonders within

Over to you...................Anyone else agree?????
    I can imagine the baseband upgrade will be tech hell for dev's everywhere

• Kwopau
    Kwopau Posts: 294
    via Wordpress

I doubt that, even iphone and iphone 3G has the same thing except that iphone (1st Gen) does not have 3G but I wouldn't know about the GPS stuff on the 1st gen. but both have the similarities in function. So definitely iphone 1st Gen, and 2nd Gen will get these features. But of course we will have to find out tomorrow.

• cart
    cart Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

I want Safari Flash support :)

• iPhone Accessory
    iPhone Accessory Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Maybe the bluetooth feature will come in soon!

• OiC
    OiC Posts: 10
    via Wordpress

Hey APPLE! Can ya hear me APPLE! Calendar alarm snooze button (you can't always get to a task that you're being reminded for right away, sometimes a re-reminder is needed beyond the optional two prior alerts!)! External keyboard support! Businessmen need these simple tools! I'm just adding this last sentence because I want to use the exclamation point one more time!

• hatter
    hatter Posts: 10
    via Wordpress

I think there will be a few new features shown tomorrow. But I think it will be more of an announcement of the new Iphone(Iphone Green). Why else would they hold this on St. Pats Day? But that's my thoughts

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

I think Kevin Rose described it based on what his source told him.

So we will need to wait until tomorrow to find out how exactly it is being implemented.

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

Hey Ralph

I think we will need to wait for the next generation iPhone for flash and maybe even for video recording based on Kevin's comments.

• Marcus
    Marcus Posts: 91
    via Wordpress

i agree with you I dont plan on grabbing that upgrade till the jailbreak community comes out with something that gives me the upgrade and i get to keep cydia cause i wont give up cydia ever

• kDub
    kDub Posts: 48
    via Wordpress

this doesn't have much to do with the firmware update..but it would be nice to see the wireless charging in the iphone as in the new palm pre.