Skype for iPhone Available on App Store

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageSkype for iPhone Available on App Store

Engadget is reporting that Skype for iPhone is now officially available on the App Store in Japan just like we had reported last week. It is expected that Skype will officially announce their iPhone app at CTIA Wireless, a large mobile industry trade event in Las Vegas that starts this...

Read the full story here

Comments

• metromepmb
    metromepmb Posts: 36
    via Wordpress

woo just downloaded it now as my itunes account is setup for australia so i dont have to supply any payment details :D.

having a go now :D

• metromepmb
    metromepmb Posts: 36
    via Wordpress

the call quality is amazing! At least it was on the skype call test echo thingy. Fring sound quality is so bad it isn't usable.

App then crashed after the call *sigh*.

It is indeed a nice little app, however it's got to stop crashing on me :( Anyway maybe I will keep it running with backgrounder.

Lol how do I edit my comments.

• Jim Byrnes
    Jim Byrnes Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

News is abounding that Skype is launching its application for Apple's iPhone tomorrow. This is great news; it promotes the ability to make free and cheap Wi-Fi calls using a VoIP client such as Skype, Truphone, Nimbuzz or Fring.

However, a key point missing from commentary so far is that Skype's application is limited to making calls when the iPhone is in Wi-Fi access.

On the other hand, Truphone -- using its Truphone Anywhere service – enables users to make calls when not in Wi-Fi by routing the first leg of calls over local cellular networks (not data over 3G) and then taking the calls from there over Truphone's network, allowing consumers to make international calls at incredibly low rates while on the move and out of Wi-Fi.

The cost of the call will simply be a local call with a network operator (probably covered within contracted bundled minutes) and then the Truphone rate to the country being called. This applies to calls made using Truphone to other Truphone users, landlines and mobiles around the world, as well as Skype users for IM and calling.

While a welcome addition to the VoIP clients already available for the iPhone and iPod touch, Skype's service doesn't quite offer the options available to Truphone customers, who can use its Skype service AND other popular IM chat and calling communities, such as Yahoo! Messenger, MSN Messenger, Google Talk and AIM, as well as dial mobile and landline calls around the world, all within a single application.

• Steve
    Steve Posts: 326
    via Wordpress

fring much better sound quality is amazing you have a bad set up plus msn wi fi calls all free no one i know on skype either

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

Thanks for the early feedback, good to hear that the call quality is good. We can't wait to get our hands on the iPhone app.

Let's hope that Skype fixes the crashing issue soon.

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

Those are some very good and valid points about Truphone.

In fact, we have written about Truphone when they released an update which made it possible to make cheap International calls over GSM network without Wi-Fi:
    http://www.iphonehacks.com/2008/12/iphone-truphone.html

We missed it in our article, but you're right, it's worth the mention.

We have also found that the quality of calls is good and quite a solid iPhone app.

However, our only complaint about Truphone is that it's a lot more expensive then Skype.

• kavian
    kavian Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

i just downloaded in usa hahah from itunes so its out

• kavian
    via Wordpress

and it works on 3.0 perfectly

• deutsche
    deutsche Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

crashes on iphone 2g 2.2.1? anybody experiencing this?

• smashcz
    smashcz Posts: 10
    via Wordpress

crashes on my 3g 2.2.1 too

• Railz
    Railz Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Skype app now in Northern US app store as of 11:36 CST

• aza
    aza Posts: 5
    via Wordpress

Canada, here we come! Is out!
    It sucks tho' It crashes every 5 minutes!
    workarouns?

• JDC
    JDC Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Crashing for me on 3G 2.2.1 ... *sigh* Hit one letter on the keyboard to log in and it crashes - even after a restart.

• Thrawn
    Thrawn Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

in Germany it is available now too.
    but i do not even get the Keyboard when i try to log in
    Application crashes directly when i hit the screen

• kavian
    via Wordpress

For all of u that the app is crashing
    Probebly u have a jailbroken phone with custom keyboard on or clippy. Disable them and go to safe mode or uninstall mobile....... Idk what it is but it's mobile sub...... Then u gonna be ok

• Thrawn
    Thrawn Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

Thanks man
    Clippy was the problem

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

Thanks for the tip!

I think its Mobile Substrate causing the problem as the crashing seems to have stopped after removing it.

But it's used by quite a few jailbreak apps so they won't work.

Let's hope Skype figures out a way to fix it soon.

• polp
    polp Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Thanks for the tips guys. For me removing Mobile Substrate did the trick!

• TimW
    TimW Posts: 430
    via Wordpress

mobilesubstrate update available, set SBsettings toggle for clippy to off, skype now works
    Not tested with clippy 'on' yet

Hope this helps

• bryan
    bryan Posts: 57
    via Wordpress

It's running just fine on mine with Clippy on after the Clippy & Mobile Substrate updates released this morning.

• Steve
    Steve Posts: 326
    via Wordpress

if i try to phone someone from my iphone contacts through skype it says invalid number it also says i have to buy my number i more money

• smashcz
    smashcz Posts: 10
    via Wordpress
  • Dirk
    Dirk Posts: 21
    via Wordpress

Why would Skype make a fix to a "bug" that only affects illegally jailbroken phones? as far as they are concerned, the apps works perfectly. I'm jailbroken, btw.

• Dirk
    Dirk Posts: 21
    via Wordpress

I think you just have to add a +1 prefix to your numbers in order for it to work...

• trisco
    trisco Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Skype works with VoIPover3G, but you need to install intelliscreen to make it work... and that doesn't play nice with Cyntact (the paid app from Saurik).

If you didn't buy Cyntact, install intelliscreen and switch on performance boosting. That worked for me, at least it did once I switched off Clippy. If you have problems use the performance boost options to disable all extensions and gradually reactivate them one by one until you find out what's causing your troubles.

Again, if you have installed Cyntact, then do not install intelliscreen. (Actually it's the performance booster in intelliscreen that hates Cyntact, the rest is fine, but if you have the boost on with Cyntact, every application on the iphone crashes. All of them. Every one. It's not easy to fix.)

• Barbara
    Barbara Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

The quality of call is good but the application crashes directly when I hit the screen

http://www.itboons.com/remotesupport.html#plans

• iphone developer
    iphone developer Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

not all that impressed with skype. i use on mac but what good over on iphone. video is hte main thing that makes skype cool. and i know how to use a phone already. i guess it helps some with certain comments but as an iphone app, i think it lacks alot of features.

www.phodder.com

• jim
    jim Posts: 128
    via Wordpress

i'm new to this so here i go
    if a get an iphone with out the at&t plan
    and add skype
    will i be able to make phone calls to moble and land line with a skype account

and how do i get a phone without at&t

very new at this
    sorry if you answered this already