InstallerApp: iTunes equivalent for Jailbreak Apps

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageInstallerApp: iTunes equivalent for Jailbreak Apps

RipDev, developers of the Installer app, which simplifies installation of jailbreak apps on the hacked iPhone recently released a native Mac OS X application called InstallerApp. RipDev claims that InstallerApp will allow you to download jailbreak apps from "Cydia" and "Installer" app onto your computer and install them on your...

Read the full story here

Comments

• rtree
    rtree Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

I'm concerning about what happens when we update the iTunes itself.

• Jonny H
    Jonny H Posts: 47
    via Wordpress

I have a similar app called AptBackup that does the same basic thing but easier. But it only works for Cydia apps. Before updating your firmware, you open the app and hit BACKUP, and it saves your cydia app data into the iphone. After updating the firmware, you redownload Aptbackup and hit RESTORE. It will automatically link to that backup data you saved in your iphone and download all of those apps for you at once. Quite convenient, I must say.

• lor
    lor Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

do themes work with this as well?

• Dirk
    Dirk Posts: 21
    via Wordpress

aptbackup is not even in the same ballpark as this. all aptbackup does is create a list of your jailbroken apps, and when you have to restore your phone or upgrade firmwares and re-jailbreak, you have to re-install aptbackup and it "remembers" the jailbroken apps you previously had and then starts downloading them one by one, ever so slowly. InstallerApp sounds like a much more "complete" solution which will hopefully also be able to save application specific settings, with the added benefit of not even needing a jailbroken phone (read: better stability). I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds exciting.

• Dirk
    via Wordpress

that's the big question. If we could still do winterboard themes with this thing, without needing to jailbreak, that would be huge. you'd never have to wait for a new jailbreak to a new firmware ever again. doubt it though, I don't see how you could get a 5 icon dock, or "Stack" on a non-jailbroken firmware...

• John Smith
    John Smith Posts: 10
    via Wordpress

The idea seems interesting; however, i'm not exactly understanding how this is not a jailbreak. In order to use their software you need to put your phone into DFU mode, just like for jailbreaking, to install what they call "synchronization support files". I'm guessing they're using the same DFU exploit the Dev Team uses to gain access to the phone. They also install somekind of a "light daemon." Also while it supports both Installer and Cydia you have to install "DPKG support" in order to install packages from cydia, thus making your disk writable, which in ripdev's words is "NOT recommended by Apple." Considering that a lot of people use Cydia, and to me it seems to be the more popular one these days with all of the improvements Saurik has been making, for most people it WILL end up being a jailbreak. The idea is novel but in my opinion somewhat misleading in the "it's not a jailbreak" department.

... Posts: 34
    via Wordpress

"So this means that after you have updated your jailbroken iPhone with the latest firmware update and have jailbroken it again, you won't have to re-install the apps..."

They are saying that YOU HAVE TO jailbrake your iPhone and then the program will recover the apps.

• Alberto
    Alberto Posts: 9
    via Wordpress

Can't get it to work, keep getting an error 2001...

• Alberto
    Alberto Posts: 9
    via Wordpress

ps iPhone 2G, OS X 10.5.6

• lmiah
    lmiah Posts: 6
    via Wordpress

I wonder if it'll work with categories. It'd be fairly annoying if it restored all my jailbroken apps and then they were all strewn about on many different pages. Although a minor complaint- I still would love this.

• majorbb100
    majorbb100 Posts: 12
    via Wordpress

WOW 7 dollars!! does everything have to cost money now! ill just find out how to get a cracked version or something.

• A Black Dude
    A Black Dude Posts: 167
    via Wordpress

yeah it seems like people are getting confused.... this software doesnt allow you to install jailbroken apps on an unjailbroken phone. its an itunes like management program that will install the apps directly to the phone.

• Dirk
    via Wordpress

Right, but RipDev is claiming that you don't have to jailbreak your iphone via the traditional methods (QuickPwn, Pwnage Tool) in order to use this product. They are suggesting that you can take a regular stock iphone, plug it into your computer via usb, and fire up InstallerApp and let it do its magic. While we can get into semantics about whether this is considered jailbreaking or not, what they are saying is that iphone users no longer have to jailbreak the phone the old way... this program will do it for us, and in a "less invasive" or "more stable" way, whatever that means. they also seem to suggest that we won't have to wait for new jailbreaks to be introduced when there are new firmwares released... although I find this hard to believe.

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

We had written about Aptbackup here:
    http://www.iphonehacks.com/2008/09/iphoneaptbackup.html

However, it didn't seem to work too well.

Have you really used it?

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

I agree, it was hard to believe that InstallerApp will magically work with a non jailbroken iPhone which is why we didn't mention it.

In fact, Engadget posted an article clarifying that it wasn't possible to install jailbreak apps using InstallerApp without jailbreaking the iPhone. Here is what they had to say:

InstallerApp is a kind of jailbreaking tool (let's call it "jailbreaking lite") coupled with a separate application management client for your computer. From what we can tell, the first thing it does is jailbreak your device (or, if you're already jailbroken, installs some additional software so it can talk to your phone). In no way is it allowing you to install non-Apple-approved apps onto a non-jailbroken phone: it's tweaking your underlying system to allow for those apps to run, and giving you an iTunes replacement to add and delete programs on your device.

You can read the entire post here:
    http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/24/debunk-jailbroken-apps-on-a-non-jailbroken-iphone-not-quite/

• Bugs
    Bugs Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Bricked my 3G last night: wouldn't power on, no screen, etc. InstallerApp wouldn't recognize it as being connected, but luckily iTunes recognized it as needing a restore. Since the first generation iphones, the only times I've ever had a problem or bricked it, was associated with procedures associated with Installer, and now InstallerApp. I'll stick with Cydia for now.

• Dan
    Dan Posts: 348
    via Wordpress

Its getting ridiculous that everybody is looking for money these days.. 2 years ago when i got the phone i loved it because people were fighting apple for free. Now they are just like apple.

• Brett
    Brett Posts: 104
    via Wordpress

doesnt work with an iphone 3g firmware 3.0...

• jttechs
    jttechs Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

i hate aptbackup it bricks my phone when i hit restore...
    it tkes about 30min to start working again

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

• jttechs
    jttechs Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

i hate aptbackup it bricks my phone when i hit restore...
    it takes about 30min to start working again

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

• Brinz
    Brinz Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Tried to unlock G3 with yellowsn0w no luck just tells me invalid sim please help

• Rob
    Rob Posts: 314
    via Wordpress

On the RipDev website, it says that it is not jailbreaking. From other sources, it says that InstallerApp is light jailbreaking, but on another, it says that it is not at all! I DON'T KNOW WHAT IT IS!!