New iPhone might have FM Radio?

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageNew iPhone might have FM Radio?

We had reported a couple of days back that the wireless radio component specification distributed with iPhone OS 3.0 beta had revealed support for a new Broadcom chip BCM4329 which could bring support for 802.11n Wi-Fi in Apple's next generation iPhone. Folks at 9to5Mac have done some more digging through...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Kev
    Kev Posts: 18
    via Wordpress

i don't know why apple disabled that function. I'm listening my fav radio through internet. That sucks.

• Marcus
    Marcus Posts: 91
    via Wordpress

i dont listen to the radio too much but i would definitely love to have this feature

• moz
    moz Posts: 63
    via Wordpress

You know I don't believe that Apple will do it. I personally hold on the idea of getting an iPod/iPhone just because my own mp3 player could play music/videos/radio... But when my mp3 quit it and that my Razr really didn't cut it "mp3 player wise" I went and bought an iPhone. But one thing for sure... If somebody manages to develop a FM Radio app or if Apple goes and do actually implement FM radio reception...

I'll be all over it like white on rice!

• Vishnu
    Vishnu Posts: 199
    via Wordpress

WOW,Finally Everything except Flash Player and other windows mobile stuff like MS Office and video calling and web cam
    Since AT&T Upgrading its network,It means faster internet and with the faster internet and better hard ware on the new iphone it may have video calling feature.Also need true gps with voice command.
    Thank You
    Vishnu.

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

I used to think that Apple didn't enable FM Radio in current iPhones as they didn't want it to affect the music sales on iTunes.

However, they have allowed Radio apps on the App Store which suggests that they are not that paranoid.

Since the chip in current iPhones can also support reception and transmission of FM signals, if Apple was planning to enable it then they would have announced it during the special event where they previewed iPhone firmware 3.0 and made it available for all versions of the iPhone and not limit it to just the next gen iPhone.

So I doubt FM Radio will be coming to the iPhone anytime soon.

• ZedSefi
    ZedSefi Posts: 130
    via Wordpress

I am wonder if FM reception feature is available on iPhone 3G, why we didn't see a talented programmer or hacker develops something to enable FM radio on the iPhone and use a native app for that from Cydia??

Unless it is theoretically possible, but there are some physical problems that prevent it from becoming a reality.

I would love to use FM radio on the iPhone for sure .. here in the UK the majority of BBC radio stations are not broadcasting their shows through the internet (not using a format that iPhone could support anyway) and lately some of these stations started providing their services through AppStore by downloading many apps, each app belongs to one of these stations and although they are free; who wants to download 5 apps to listen to 5 stations for instance and increase the number of icons & disk space on the iPhone?!! I would prefer to use one app only that you can listen to thousands of radio stations through it, which is what I am using to listen to internet radio.

Also, imagine having FM radio will decrease the bandwidth usage and will enable you to listen to the radio while you are using the internet on the iPhone for something else like browsing or chatting on messenger. Currently you can't use two applications which are both using the internet at the same time even if you use backgrounder, the backgrounded app will stop streaming or terminate when you start using the internet on the other app which sucks I know.

• ZedSefi
    ZedSefi Posts: 130
    via Wordpress

Off topic but similar in theory, if we got Skype now and we already have a camera, then why not using the camera to do video chatting? (I know you can't see other person and show yourself at the same time as we have currently only one camera on the back, but hey it should be possible to at least do one of these tasks).

• Tank
    Tank Posts: 12
    via Wordpress

1: FM Radio is cool, but TV would be even cooler.
    2: If they leave us the chip we will do something about it, wont we? :)

• tuaw
    tuaw Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

honestly i could care less about having FM radio on my phone. isn't that what the ipod is made to replace?
    on the other hand, i do think being able to transmit music through an fm signal to a car stereo would be a great addition

• geogo3r
    geogo3r Posts: 127
    via Wordpress

It may be under the roof of the 100 new features but I doubt API's would have anything to do with it. :/

• Zoltan Shapiro
    Zoltan Shapiro Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

The only reason id care about this is to fill in *every* *little* *feature* that the zune has that the iphone/ipod doesn't. i wouldnt use it but id value it verrrry much

• Andrew
    Andrew Posts: 168
    via Wordpress

I would love to use FM radio on the iPhone too!!

• geogo3r
    via Wordpress

Vishnu, as I said earlier;

It may be coming soon. Adobe stated that they have completed designing flash for the iPhone now all they need is the O.K. from apple.

• marc
    marc Posts: 103
    via Wordpress

I guess FM just makes another little bullet for cool features.

It's not necessary but I can imagine people using it often.

• Gilberto Arellano
    Gilberto Arellano Posts: 32
    via Wordpress

I already have bought a fm transmitter that works great, so it's a little to late to bring this feature out of the shadows, fm transmitters should have never been needed if the technology was there to begin with. So I am mad at these greedy bastards!
    Now I think that a2dp bluetooth streaming to my car stereo head unit would be significantly better in audio quality than an fm transmission.
    Don't you just hate it when you leave your iPhone in your lap cause you wanna have control of the music on the fm transmitter and when you make a sharp turn in your car the iPhone slides of your lap and falls into that crevice between your car door and your driver seat.
    Or having to plug your iPhone or iPod to the fm transmitter and only to take it off when you arrive to your short destination. This thing is a lot better on long trips.
    I agree seamless is the way to go.

• geogo3r
    via Wordpress

Not a transmitter Gilberto, a receiver. So you can listen to FM through your iPhone, not broadcast it out.

• Chris
    Chris Posts: 736
    via Wordpress

Does this mean that Aircrack-ng will work? Or some other form of WEP hack?

• Gilberto Arellano
    via Wordpress

I know not to broadcast fm out, but transmit audio thru fm radio to car stereo. Thus making external fm transmitters obsolete. Read article carefully and you'll get it.

• Gilberto Arellano
    via Wordpress

Boy, you make it sound so easy.
    But sadly the truth is that adobe doesn't have flash for the iPhone ready and they're running behind schedule. Unless the new iPhone 3.0 comes with major hardware revisions we won't be seeing flash for the iPhone this summer( by that I mean atleast double the CPU clock speed)

• Abhay
    Abhay Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I like the iPhone. However, if indeed the chip
    in the current phone (3G) does support reception
    (and even transmission??) of FM radio signals,
    Apple is being ASSININE and VERY ANNOYING by not
    enabling this feature. Why, for Gawd's sake, I ask,
    why? I mean, it's not even as if the battery life
    will be impacted much, it's probably less enerygy
    intensive to just receive radio signals versus listening to them over the web, right?

THIS IS SILLY! For a phone that costs this much...

However... looking forward to all the new (somtimes basic) functionality coming our way in 3.0 soon!

• Brad Gibbons
    Brad Gibbons Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I would like to see FM radio in the iPhone. I wouldn't use it much for music, since, seeing as it's an iPhone, I already have plenty of that, I would love to be able to listen to NPR radio on my iPhone, since that's what I rely on for news.

• Y.H
    Y.H Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Meh, it's a marketing strategy. They want to surprise us will all types of "new" things that our phones can do. I guess they're saving it for a rainy day. When the sales go down.

• lroefs@wightman.ca
    via Wordpress

AI listen to FM radio all the time. I have not purchased any new products until I know they have the fm feature available.