AT&T Upgrading Network for Apple's New iPhone?

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageAT&T Upgrading Network for Apple's New iPhone?

We have heard rumors that Apple's next generation iPhone will have video capabilities and support significantly faster internet connectivity. All that sounds fantastic on paper, but it's also important for Apple's carrier partners to upgrade their infrastructure to support iPhone's new hardware. AppleInsider is claiming that based on their source,...

Read the full story here

Comments

• MO
    MO Posts: 132
    via Wordpress

Let's just hope the data plan prices won't rise.

• Gilberto Arellano
    Gilberto Arellano Posts: 32
    via Wordpress

Thank you AT&T for listnening to me and getting me 3g coverage in my silicon valley home wich suffered from the infamous 3g dead zones. Now as I said in my previous post, where iPhone hacks asked us if we would upgrade to the new iPhone coming in June 2009, I said I would if at&t fixed my dead zone. I'm glad I'm getting the new iPhone this June and I'll be handing my iPhone 3g to my brother. And he can sell his iPhone 2g because he wanted a2dp Bluetooth and mms.

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

That's good to hear.

• Punk_Poet
    Punk_Poet Posts: 66
    via Wordpress

I'm in Sa Angelo Texas and we just got 3g about a week ago. At& has to be gearing upfor something.

• dave
    dave Posts: 389
    via Wordpress

I live in san dimas, ca and until recently worked in chino, ca. The 3g in chino got a significant boost in coverage around this past august and san dimas around november/december I've also noticed the coverage getting better each month heading further west so hopefully they will hit L.A. before the launch of the next gen iPhone.

I have also notice brief periods of time with significant boosts in speed. I have a speed tester app on my iPhone and play around with it preriodically. Some time around november I was at the Pomona fair grounds and pulled down a speed of 11.5 Mbs followed by a 6.75 Mbs test. After that the tests went back to a normal 750Kbs to 2Mbs the rest of the day.

• geogo3r
    geogo3r Posts: 127
    via Wordpress

Really Dave? 11.5Mbs? That's faster than my home connection!
    I've never experienced a faster out of my house though... I'll have to start testing more often and see for myself. Don't know how O.C. coverage compares to yours though.

• dave
    dave Posts: 389
    via Wordpress

Yes you read that correctly, 11.5Mbs. This leads me to believe that At&t is already testing either 14.4Mbs or 21Mbs connections for their network, and they should be(telstra is already rolling out a 21Mbs network in Australia).

And BTW I will typicaly get 5-7 Mbs readings about 2-3 times per week in random locations. Nothing consistant though.

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 141
    via Wordpress

I live in West Hollywood and work in Burbank. Coverage here is awful, with major dead spots and a very high number of dropped calls. I also cannot maintain a call driving from Hollywood to Burbank via the Cahuenga Pass and Barham Boulevard. Calls always drop near the top of the pass or while crossing the LA River into Burbank (at the Warner Lot).

• marc
    marc Posts: 103
    via Wordpress

I was always wondering how 3g dead spots worked. There's like two or three a 150 square foot areas by my house that don't have 3g, but everywhere else there is. Also, where I take classes there is never 3g, but as soon as I walk to another block I have 3g...

• geogo3r
    via Wordpress

I live in Anaheim, CA:
    1.15Mbs downstream
    .2Mbs upstream

Using the speedtest.net app (this might make a difference... I'm not sure.)

Oh and a ping of 450 :/

• geogo3r
    via Wordpress

I know, that's one of the top ways to get your iPhone exchanged for a new one is to tell them that you get poor reception in areas where you should get strong reception. They'll usually hand you a new one with few questions asked. I'm not sure if this will fix the problem but its an excuse to get a new iPhone!

• alkdfj;al
    alkdfj;al Posts: 1
    via Wordpress