Ipod touch 4g stuck in dfu mode (black screen)

Options
So here is my problem. I got an ipod touch 4g that was stuck in dfu mode (black screen). I tried to update it through itunes and it errored out. I then proceeded to look at my other options and stumbled upon some jailbreak tools like redsn0w and ireb. I went through and tried a few odds and ends which at this point cant remember them all. I did get it to actually restore at one point, but after leaving it unattended for a few minutes came back to the same dfu mode issue. I have looked at the SHSH files importing them from the device and also retrieving them through Cydia. My problem is the only SHSH files I can get is for IOS 6.1.6 and I can't seem to find a program that wants to restore the device with IOS 6.1.6. Itunes either errors out with 1601 or 11 and that is with using tinyumbrella and I can't find a way to stitch the SHSH into the IPSW. It always says the blobs could not be verified. If I try to verify the SHSH it comes out fine. I've tried doing it on another computer and all the changing USB ports and cords with no help. I'm thinking that the original problem was that it was a jailbroken device and wrongly updated.... that i don't know for sure. Also I've done the home,power button and the home, volume up and power button all of which put me right back to square one. What am I missing? This is my first go round with an apple device so I figured at this point I'm out of ideas. I believe that when I got it to work that one time it was cause I used ios 6.0.0 with redsn0w.... not exactly sure. Any help would be great.