AT&T Upgrading Network to 7.2 Mbps for Apple's New iPhone?

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageAT&T Upgrading Network to 7.2 Mbps for Apple's New iPhone?

We have already heard rumors that AT&T is rolling out a major upgrade to its 3G mobile data services in anticipation of a spike in network traffic from Apple's new iPhone. An article at Telephony Online confirms that rumor. Its reporting that AT&T is in the process of upgrading its...

Read the full story here

Comments

• geogo3r
    geogo3r Posts: 127
    via Wordpress

Never have I had 3.6Mbps!
    The most I've had in full coverage was 1.6Mbps.
    Maybe this would constitute exchanging my iPhone for a new one?

Also, if I get 7.2Mbps in my house (or anywhere close to) I may just tether my phone to my computer instead of using my home connection because that's faster than current speeds!

• aaron.phillips@gmail.com
    via Wordpress

whoop-t-doo ... they still have deadzones every where... so what fucking good is it ??

• thapaamit2002@aol.com
    via Wordpress

I do agree with aaron above, before upgrading their network they should think about should fix problems like drop calls, dead zones and even in my town i dont even have 3g coverage and still i am paying $30 fee which sound stupid.

• Marcus
    Marcus Posts: 91
    via Wordpress

ok not sure if anybody else has thought about this, but I have a quick question do you think with the updated data network for the new iPhone will they charge more for the data plan cause I dont get 3g at all where i live and i hate having to pay 30 bucks would rather pay 15 or something

• Gilberto Arellano
    Gilberto Arellano Posts: 32
    via Wordpress

I agree I don't think I've gotten up to 3.6Mbps, 7.2.Mbps would be excellent for online gaming 3.6 is not very reliable to host matches online or for video conferencing with audio.

• geogo3r
    via Wordpress

Yeah I thought about that too Gilberto! Only problem is, the massive ping time between your phone and communicating with the server. I get an average ping of 2000+ ms which wouldn't be good for gaming.

• hxclos
    hxclos Posts: 353
    via Wordpress

Well they claim to be the fastest 3g network, not the largest. Let's hope Verizon goes 4g and wins over Apple as rumored.

• Marcus
    via Wordpress

as long as At&t still has the iPhone i could careless about verizon lol especially considering when you jailbreak and unlock it you can use it wherever you want

• Tony
    Tony Posts: 145
    via Wordpress

I switched to ATT JUST for the iphone. and beside that I just have to say, man they suck ,I can barly use my phone in downtown or even where I live , 2 bars ?? i wanna beat the heck out of those ppl who advertise att saying "raising the bar"
    yea right , more like raising your blood pressure. I can't wait till Iphone gets to the hands of the Verison or even tmobile.

• MH
    MH Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

I just ran a speed test w/ full 3G bars and I got 278kbps down and 142kbps up. I'm in Austin TX. They've got a LONG way to go to hit 7+

• Marcus
    via Wordpress

how do u run a speedtest I would love to know how fast mine runs at

• Marcus
    via Wordpress

nevermind mh got the speedtest app i am running 1439kbps download and 515kbps upload speed and i am not in 3g area

• Marcus
    via Wordpress

lol wow ok nevermind first results that was with my wifi from my router, true speed off of edge is 122kbps and 64kbps

• Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 137
    via Wordpress

Im not sure about verizon, they will want to change the hardware / take out the sim capability and who knows what else.. 90% of their devices dont even have wifi while the same device on another carrier does.. pathetic.

Tmobile is a decent option - at least it was for me when I had it on my 2g. The signal was so-so but they also have the @home option which is nice

AT&T is supposed to release a femtocell (wifi cell router) soon.. that will be nice cause I get **** signal at the house. Unfortunately from what I understand is that these fuckers plan on charging for it !! Can you believe these aholes ? Charging you to use your internet to patch their shitty network

• Zoltan
    Zoltan Posts: 18
    via Wordpress

yah i have 6 with dsl

• Zoltan
    via Wordpress

the current iphone can only handle 1.8, 3.6 is the network capacity now, the new iphone and the new network will both do 7.2

• Zoltan
    via Wordpress

unlock ur fucking phone, i did it, and i could if i wanted use it with tmobile, no 3g tho, different bands for tmobile 3g than att and everywhere else 3g

• Zoltan
    via Wordpress

it was never intended for home use, it is for busineses

• Zoltan
    via Wordpress

oh and get this, the maximum 3G will ever get is 14.4... Mbps!!!! Used to be kbps on dial up!!! now mobile and 1000 times faster!!! I LOVE THIS STUFF!!!

• dave
    dave Posts: 389
    via Wordpress

Geogo3r said...
    Never have I had 3.6Mbps!
    The most I've had in full coverage was 1.6Mbps.
    Maybe this would constitute exchanging my iPhone for a new one?

Gilberto Arellano said...
    I agree I don't think I've gotten up to 3.6Mbps,

3.6 Mbs is the theoretical max speed under PERFECT conditions. To get this you would have to be standing 10ft in front of the tower and have no one else using that same tower for service, and ideal atmospheric conditions. A realistic expectation for a 3.6Mbs wireless network is to acheive between 800Kbs and 2.8 Mbs, depending on distance from the tower, number of users, the type of usage from each user, weather and other variables.

Also, providers upgrade their network in waves and as such not every area has access to the most recent upgrade. (Or even the second most recent depending on the priority of the area)

• geogo3r
    via Wordpress

That's good to know. Thanks Dave!

• Gilberto Arellano
    Gilberto Arellano Posts: 32
    via Wordpress

just did a speedtest.net on my iPhone and got 2.12mbps consecutively but I average about 350kbps. About 10% of what is the maximum bandwith allowed on current iPhone 3g. Oh and when I had comcast I would get an average of 15mbps and I've heard they're network has gotten faster recently.

• mike
    mike Posts: 489
    via Wordpress

Sitting in the middle of building, bottom floor, in Richardson, TX

3G speed test

1st test, 3 of 5 bars = 726Kbits/s Down & 176Kbits/s UP
    2nd test, 4 of 5 bars = 1276Kbits/s Down & 244 UP
    3rd test, 4 of 5 bars = 1487 Down & 177 UP

• dave
    dave Posts: 389
    via Wordpress

I think you meant to say 1.5Mbs, cuz no carrier in the U.S. can do 15Mbs speeds yet.

Also, I get an average of about 1.2-1.5Mbs with At&t, however I'm all over southern california when I test. I have noticed some areas that will consistantly only give about 300-500Kbs, and others that will consistantly give me 1.5-2.3Mbs or more. (as per my explaination above)

• sbriese@earthlink.net
    via Wordpress

When was this article posted? No date!