New version of Skype's iPhone App gives Warning Message on Hacked iPhone

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageNew version of Skype's iPhone App gives Warning Message on Hacked iPhone

Skype released an updated version of their popular VOiP iPhone app with some minor improvements and fixes. Geogo3r, one of our regular readers here at iPhone Hacks pointed out that after installing the latest version of Skype (v1.0.2) on a jailbroken iPhone, you get the following warning message: "This version...

Read the full story here

Comments

• I Love my iPhone 3G
    via Wordpress

I saw the warning last night when I restored my iPhone 3G and of course jailborken it.

As mentioned above, I can still use Skype with no problem, in face I have just finish talking with my frind in China using VoIPover3G.

• Chris
    Chris Posts: 736
    via Wordpress

I wonder if this message also appears on non-jailbroken phones? Because if it was that easy to detect, I would assume that more developers would do so or Apple would take measures to do so.

• Silentheero
    Silentheero Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

It sounds like a reminder that it has not been tested with jailbroken devices instead of a reprimand for jailbreaking in the first place.

• CristV77
    CristV77 Posts: 51
    via Wordpress

this is just to inform, nothing will change on the iPhone, I have the latest version of Skype and was able to call normally, so, all goes the same way, the only difference is that I got scared when I saw the title: "New version of Skype's iPhone App gives Warning Message on Hacked iPhone"; as the first thing that came to my mind is that I wouldn't b able to use it anymore, but it was just a scare nothing else, thanks for the info tho, its always good to know what's the latest news

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

The idea wasn't to scare readers but just to inform them about the warning message. Apologies if it did.

We were also a little intrigued at Skype's decision to show the message which was another reason to write about the changes in the new version.

• Tj
    Tj Posts: 102
    via Wordpress

Interesting that a jailbreak is detectable...

This means Apple can very easily disable Official Apps from operating on a Jailbroken phone, if it so desires, at least until a workaround is developed that can hide the fact the phone is not "official".

The fact that I can still use all my Apps implies Apple has accepted and embraced the Jailbreak community because it understands that a hackable phone is 50% of the reason people buy the thing.

Can you hack a RAZR or a Blackberry? Maybe... but who the hell wants to?

• geogo3r
    geogo3r Posts: 127
    via Wordpress

Yeah TJ, not only can Apple delete apps but they can see what you have on your iPhone and in rare cases can delete applications from your phone if they feel the need to do so. That's why SBSettings allows you to turn off whats called the Apple, "Kill Switch" which prevents Apple from having access to your phone and applications in such a way.

• geogo3r
    geogo3r Posts: 127
    via Wordpress

It's saying Skype can tell and it's likely that if you were smart enough to jailbreak your phone, then you're smart enough to know how to make and receive calls over the mobile 3G/Edge network and that's what they haven't tested. Remember, Skype is on our side!

• CristV77
    CristV77 Posts: 51
    via Wordpress

hahahaha, thats funny, u ppl thought that i was referring to you, but no, I was supporting your post, sry for not choosing my words correctly, and yes, I'm a little intrigued also for this, maybe its just a plus after fixing some other stuff

• marc
    marc Posts: 103
    via Wordpress

Imagine seeing this on every app.

• marc
    marc Posts: 103
    via Wordpress

I actually want to read more about that. Any in-deep explanations on how it works?

• Stephen C
    Stephen C Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

This is a misconception. The only thing this "kill switch" does is disable the app from accessing location services.

As far as I know, they have yet to use it for anything.

• Z
    Z Posts: 333
    via Wordpress

hes right, it doesnt give them access to ur phone, it jst disables location services so no one can spy on you.

• Wench
    Wench Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

I love skype, I signed up for unlimited u.s calling for 3$ a month which sure as hell beats the overages att charges me, and of course i can make calls over the 3G/EDGE network...I am very grateful for the people who are smart enough to develop these workarounds...its about time people say **** YOU to corporate america! we pay enough money for useless pointless **** and its about time we get something worthwhile in return.

• NK
    NK Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

i have a iphone 3gs and is jailbroken but iv downloaded skype and when i go on skyp it opens for 4 seconds and goes straight back to springboard

iv tried to reinstall skype and i have the latest version of Mobile Substrate
    can anybody help please

• asdsd@rara.com
    asdsd@rara.com Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

i grabbed the new version of skype and got the message

now i cannot see online users

• $e@n
    $e@n Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

NEED SOME HELP... I just installed Background and Insomnia in order to keep skype active when in sleep mode, but since Skype has undated I can't get the background or insomnia to work with it. Any suggestions? Thanks

• Jailbroken
    Jailbroken Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

The real question is, do we need jailbroken iPhones to use Skype over AT&T's 3G Network? Skype is aware that AT&T officially opened up it's 3G network (http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/prod/ecfs/retrieve.cgi?native_or_pdf=pdf&id_document=7020040868) to VOiP applications, such as Skype (Skype press release dated October 6, 2009). So the problem can no longer be blamed on AT&T. Is it Skype's developers or Apple that's forcing us to decide between Jailbreaking our iPhones to get this (now) legal functionality, or doing without?

If Apple wants to discourage Jailbreaking (and/or other hacks), it has to accomodate user demand, even if that means applying pressure on vendors like Skype and AT&T.

• LTUmp
    LTUmp Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I get this message everytime i re-install skype, and it works fine BUT, looks like its running the older version of Skype, THEREFORE it does not suport the multitasking!!! How do i fix it???

• skype 5.5
    skype 5.5 Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Normally I do not read post on blogs, but I wish to say that this write-up very compelled me to take a look at and do it! Your writing style has been amazed me. Thanks, very nice article.
  • Ellie bells
    Ellie bells Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    I have iphone 3g jailbroken . it donot have skype on my phone and when i try to download it is not working :( . I have reinstall cydia and installed new version of mobile substrate too but its still not downloading :( . plz help me from where i can download skype i really need it to talk to my friends :(
  • votzen
    votzen Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Natursektduschen auf MyDirtyHobby