Apple to allow third party iPhone Apps to run in the Background?

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageApple to allow third party iPhone Apps to run in the Background?

Business Insider reported couple of days back that as per their sources, Apple is seriously evaluating the option of allowing third party iPhone apps to run in the background, a feature that the iPhone lacks but one that is already available in some smartphones such as T-Mobile G1, upcoming Palm...

Read the full story here

Comments

• hxclos
    hxclos Posts: 353
    via Wordpress

Faster than the Dow Jones huh? lol. Until recently, I didn't really care for running apps in the background. That is until I started using PdaNet and wanted to find a contact or check my Shazam list of songs without having to loose my internet connection. I wonder if having too many applications running can prevent phone calls, as some people have complained to me before. I've used the Memory Info app to see and close some applications to free up memory however they tend to slowly start back up again. If this does happen I hope there is a on and off switch per app.

• wes
    wes Posts: 53
    via Wordpress

I think that if they were to do this, the apps would need to have an actual 'Background Mode'. Because i know from using Backgrounder that if you're running a full app in the background and try to go do something else, even send a text, the phone gets very laggy.

• bastian gatten
    bastian gatten Posts: 43
    via Wordpress

indeed. allow people to make the choice to run programs in the background. Let us to decide to drain our battery faster or not.

• Z
    Z Posts: 333
    via Wordpress

what they could do is suspend the background programs memory space and all states set by the program onto disk and then bring it back up later, wouldnt be perfect but it would work much better than actually running it in the background

• Mike Le
    Mike Le Posts: 14
    via Wordpress

I think that this is certainly a possibility now that the Palm Pre will be coming out and so many other handsets already do this. I think that when the new iPhone does come out and it has background apps then people will be really happy. I would rather have both choices. Developers can still make background optimized apps but both non background optimized and optimzied ones can still run in the background.

1000111010110 Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

yeah like apple gave their users any choices in the past. well besides the color of an ipod.
    Apple still treats it's customers like morons who cant think for themselves.
    But anyway who gives a damn when we have Dev Team, right ?