4GB iPhone with Video Calling feature for $99?

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
image4GB iPhone with Video Calling feature for $99?

With Apple’s WWDC starting next Monday, the iPhone rumor mill is working overtime. Boy Genius Report is reporting that they have got exclusive photos of mobile carrier Fido’s roadmap for the rest of 2009. According to the leaked roadmap, Apple might release a 4GB iPhone mode with video calling feature...

Read the full story here

Comments

• MO
    MO Posts: 132
    via Wordpress

Wow so many rumors. If this is true why only the 4 gig model. What if we want more storage and better features and still have video calling? I just cant wait till next Monday so we know everything about the next gen device.

• j katz
    j katz Posts: 11
    via Wordpress

Im hopeful but skeptical...if Fido is getting it that means AT&T's crappy network will get it and I just don't see ichat working when you can barely make phone calls that don't drop

• hxclos
    hxclos Posts: 353
    via Wordpress

If this is true, you can bet it won't be limited to 4gb iPhones. Not to mention this would mean the next iPhone would have to have a front facing camara; something Fiddo's picture does not include.

• dave
    dave Posts: 389
    via Wordpress

I don't see any reason that Apple couldn't do a $99 dollar iPhone that has video chat. At&t started carrying Video Share capable phones over 2 years ago that retailed for under $50 after mail in rebate. (Although the service wasn't available in very many places until about a year ago.) In fact the first one I remember them carrying was the LG CU500, which I bought in December of 2006 for $29.99 if I remember correctly (I was strapped for cash and it was the cheapest phone in the store at the time!)

• Gilberto Arellano
    Gilberto Arellano Posts: 32
    via Wordpress

the picture says in the bottom left corner "image not actual product"

• Gilberto Arellano
    Gilberto Arellano Posts: 32
    via Wordpress

I think that if anyone can do a $99 phone it's apple. They have made do much money selling iPhones that they are able to comeup with these stripped down product for those people who otherwise could not afford the iPhone and it's 4gb ithink they could do a 16gb iPhone with iChat for $99 and the telephone companies would still make they're money back and make profit. I thought these people would use there heads. Believe it it's true. And I can't wait to get a new iPhone I'm eligible for an upgrade. Yeeeee!!!!!!!

• hxclos
    hxclos Posts: 353
    via Wordpress

Ah, I missed that. Good eye.

• Clinton Cronin
    Clinton Cronin Posts: 10
    via Wordpress

The fine print prices that phone as 99$ with a 3 year agreement. If it's Fido, that also means it will be in Canadian dollars rather than USD (not a huge difference but worth mentioning). If the price is really 99$ with a 3 year agreement for only 4 gigs I'm failing to see the great value there. The idea of being locked to a contract for 3 years for a device which will be outdated in 18 months is a bit lame. Especially since you can't remove the battery on your own to replace it.

I love my iPhone 3g but am sick of consumer pricing of mobile carriers in North America. Every carrier has a different standard, plans are ridiculously expensive and you have to shell out hundreds to get a decent phone unless you want to be strapped to a WAY overpriced plan for 2+ years. In the UK they give out free Playstation 3's and laptops AND FREE PHONES to people who are willing to sign up for a 1 or 2 year deal plus the pricing is much better in Europe. You get more minutes, more texts and better data plan pricing. What is wrong with the industry here? (Sorry, I deal with loads of carriers (globally) on a daily basis and am generally annoyed by the high cost of owning a mobile phone in the USA). If you want a good deal you have to go prepaid but if you want a decent phone you have to trade your first born child.

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

Thanks Gilberto for highlighting it, I have updated the post.

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

If it does, I would be pleasantly surprised.

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

A $99 probably makes sense to widen the target audience.

But the entry-level iPhone at $99 with video calling feature, I doubt it.

As I mentioned, if it does, I would be pleasantly surprised.

• Vishnu
    Vishnu Posts: 199
    via Wordpress

Yes finally ,i think the 32gb model will have everything and the ichat camera will be in the front right?

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

If Apple introduces video calling feature, there will be two camera's.

One at the back as we have currently so that you can take pictures, record video (as it is speculated) etc.

For video calling feature it has to be a front facing camera.