Simple Hack to Enable Tethering on iPhone OS 3.0

Comments

• Moonfresh
    Moonfresh Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

Thanks Joe Mama...it still doesn't work for me. I give up and will just wait to pay.

• Moonfresh
    Moonfresh Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

Hey boss, did you figure out how to remove this thing withou erasing the who phone? I reseted the settings and network options but the tethering is still there. Please let me know.

• bigjoe
    bigjoe Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
  • Jennifer
    Jennifer Posts: 23
    via Wordpress

just got one of the kids a refurbed 3g 8gb and safari will not download the file. Is there another way to download and install on the phone?

• Jennifer
    Jennifer Posts: 23
    via Wordpress

anyone help you with this? i have the same problem

• rafa
    rafa Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

if you reset your network settings on your iphone it should work.

• raven.roost@excite.com
    via Wordpress

Why would I ever install an app that asks me for my iPhone password? There is NO application I have yet installed that would ask me for that. Makes me seriously suspicious.

• Anfernee
    Anfernee Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Works great! Just tried it out and can't believe I've had an Iphone for this long without this function. It goes to show you AT&T is raping and pillaging their customers for every little cent for services that are available everywhere else around the world. For free!!!! If only a MMS hack could be available without a unlocked/jailbroken phone, it would be the ultimate middle finger to the gestapo of cellular carriers. Can't wait until their contract runs out in 2010, until then, spread the word...

• Highwind
    Highwind Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Hi
    1. I think they can easily see if you are tethering unsing this setup (because this is the att way of tethering instead of jailbreak...)
    2. The jailbroken methods can hide to a certain extend that you are tethering, as it looks from the outside that the data is going to the pone (not a pc). Aditionally you can use VPN to hide what is being transmitted.

It would be nice to have more detail on the no-jailbreak method and on ways to hide from att that one is tethering (e.g. does VPN make sense there?...) Does anyone know more?

• Highwind
    Highwind Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
  • Mike F
    Mike F Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Can't find iPhone is network settings anywhere!!

• OC
    OC Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Anyone else had the voicemail stop working? Any workaround?

• Scott@swensondev.com
    via Wordpress

Folks still having luck with this? I got a connection to my MBP via BT and USB, (iPhone shows "Tethering Enabled") - but I don't get any response from the internet connection (Activity Monitor shows Packets sent, but none received).

Could AT&T have shut this hack down already?

• johnnyg
    johnnyg Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

this works great i had pdanet iphone modem but this is faster and works great thanks

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

If this disables visual voicemail, just go and reset your network settings, and it should be fixed.

• OC
    OC Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

In all the conversations and posts I've seen there are THREE possibilities:
    1) the hack just works with no problems
    2) the hack works just fine after either resetting your network settings OR after going into network settings and changing your cellular network settings
    OR
    3) the cellular network setting item doesnt exist as an option in the network settings, so the only OTHER fix is to UNINSTALL the profile, then reset network settings and reboot. THEN it works, and the tethering option is still there after the reboot.

• Sam
    Sam Posts: 218
    via Wordpress

hey guys i am having problems wiht mine i have a iphone 3gs with 3.0.1 sofware jailbroken and unlocked i tired this many times rebooting and everything but nothin teathering works fine though just when i go to network it dosent have and option for carrier stettings for apn although under setting/general/profiles it showes for 2 one for teathering and other is carier setting with says Unsigned plz any help thanks.......

• matt
    matt Posts: 283
    via Wordpress

i think you're an idiot

• mike c,.
    mike c,. Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

My dell laptop keeps asking me for a blutooth passkey...How can i find my passkey or reset it.

• mike
    mike Posts: 489
    via Wordpress

I reset my network connections and it works great...Now i need help on the remote printing aspect. any ideas?... Do i have to jb my iphone to get MMS?

• mike
    mike Posts: 489
    via Wordpress

ok its working now:).....bluetooth and usb....

• Randall
    Randall Posts: 5
    via Wordpress

Matt appears to be a very polite person who knows how to carry on a meaningful conversation with someone who is simply expressing his/her opinion. NOT.

• Flashover
    Flashover Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

The tethering works great...........Thanks so much and i love this sight so helpful to someone who isnt good with computers

• David
    David Posts: 225
    via Wordpress

Just tried it on my 3G and it works great. I wish ATT would get off their butts and start supporting this more.

We all pay at LEAST $100 a month for it.

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 48
    via Wordpress

great!
    I had to connect via bluetooth for my MBP to work. I'm on iphone 3G 2nd gen, version 3.0 and MBP using 10.4.11.

Also had to restart iphone before it worked.

set up bluetooth:
    go to sys preferences> bluetooth> add device. It will walk you through steps. Make sure on iphone that bluetooth settings is set to On. Bluetooth setup should locate your iphone. It will need to gather more info on your device (iphone).

Then bluetooth setup will provide you with a pin. Enter that number on your iphone when it prompts you to do so. Back on the computer in Bluetooth setup assistant, check "use with address book" and continue. Your device should be setup at which point quit setup assistant.

System Preferences> Bluetooth make sure under settings your device is discoverable and click in box that says "Show Bluetooth Status in Menu Bar"

Go to bluetooth in menubar (top right) and scroll down in pop-down menu to "Join Network on Your Iphone"

That should do it.

Your iphone should read "Internet Tethering" in blue window on top.

Yay!

• Jeff
    Jeff Posts: 126
    via Wordpress

OK, i followed the directions and actually got the tethering to work. i then checked my voice mail and i don't get the indicator on my phone nor can I get messages on the phone but they are available with calling in (hold 1). I did the hack figuring even if I lost voice mail I could simply restore and be back where I was. Done that but voice mail still not working and the tethering thing is still in place. How do i go back to where i was?

• Luis
    Luis Posts: 67
    via Wordpress

it is incredible......

can do you explain what are the problems with the jailbreak of an iphone?
    I have heard that you become unable of downloading apps

• slayer
    slayer Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

...works fantastic on my new 3Gs-32 without a hitch, just checked my voice mail its up. . . its all good

• Neo-8
    Neo-8 Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

works great with the USB cable, iphone 3gs, 32GB, 3.0 to a MacBookPro w/snow leopard. The Bluetooth pairing didn't setup, they saw each other Bluetooth PAN in the network preferences wouldn't go. I'll keep trying to fix that.

• Neo-8
    Neo-8 Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

I take that back, the bluetooth PAN just took hold. It works. Great site, excellent instruction and help. Thanks.