Google Developing iPhone Web App version of Google Voice

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageGoogle Developing iPhone Web App version of Google Voice

Apple rejected Google's official Google Voice application and other related third-party iPhone apps from the iPhone App Store last month as they were duplicating features that are already available on the iPhone such as Dialer, SMS etc. However, there seems to be more to it than the reason given by...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Alex
    Alex Posts: 383
    via Wordpress

Time has changed. Apple is forbidding iPhone users to install Google Voice app on the device. They decided to take it off App Store. Why? Just because.
    This smart phone is essentially a computer with operating system and an ability to install third party software like any other computer. When I called Apple, tech support representative informed me that Apple does not have to explain why they are forbidding me to install Google apps after I purchased device planning to use it with Google Voice. She also informed me that App Store is like any other store has right to choose what they put on their shelves.
    Well, I respect their choice, but the last time I checked in my neighborhood mall none of their stores are FORBIDING me to use products from anywhere else but from their store. Does Apple respect my choice? Communist China government did not dare to make Lenovo give me a list of software I can install on my laptop. Lenovo respects my choice because they know what will happen with their laptops if they would try to deny this choice to people in free world.
    Just imagine what would happen if Microsoft make an agreement with Comcast and set up a list of software you are allowed to install. What if they allow you to connect to internet only through Comcast? What if Comcast decides they not like some software and a week later Microsoft would FORBIDS using it without any meaningful explanation? That would definitely be considered mafia-like behavior and nobody would tolerate it.
    We are not tolerating this behavior neither from China, US government, Microsoft, nor from Comcast. For how long are we going to tolerate this behavior from Apple? I erased my iPhone, I smashed it with hammer and I will send it on Monday to Steve Jobs, c/o Apple 1 Infinite Loop Cupertino, CA 95014
    Time has changed.

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

You raise a valid point and I think FCC is investigating Apple and AT&T for exactly the same reason.

It will be interesting to see the outcome but I would be surprised to find out that Apple rejected the Google Voice apps without pressure from AT&T.

I think Apple should keep the approval process transparent so if they rejected an app due to AT&T then they should inform a developer about it rather than giving some vague reasons.

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

For example: AT&T came out with a statement that they had not allowed SlingPlayer Mobile for iPhone to work over their 3G network as they had concerns over network bandwidth. We didn't like the restriction but at least we knew why it worked only over Wi-Fi and did not have to speculate about it.

• Thepartyguy
    Thepartyguy Posts: 57
    via Wordpress

The answer to apple's confidentiality is called Jailbreak ! We use unathorized apps ! It doesn't matter what apple thinks in that regards we are still using the apps that we want !

• Mossy
    Mossy Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Yeah it does not matter right now but apple are fighting a motion from EFF to the FCC that would make jailbreaking a legal choice. The nerve of apple! I bought this damn hardware (which I regard as a mini-pc with a phone capability) and I own it. I can't believe they are trying to prohibit me from installing apps I want to install. Even MS did not hacevthe balls to try something like this. Remember when MS tried to force us all to only be able to IE? Then the FCC got involved thank God. Hopefully the FCC will straighten this kne out too. I'm ditching Apple if jailbreaking goes. It's the only reason I got the "iPhone" and to be honest it's featureless and optionless out of the box. The jailbreak community has done nothing but good for apple yet all they do is slap these guys in the face! If there's no jailbreaking going on then a lot of techies will leave for android along with many developers. Apple have become so greedy that they're stupit.