error 3194 on iPhone 5

Options
Hi,
A friend of mine bought a used iPhone 5, it worked fine for some days but now it's stuck: if i turn it on, i get the "iTunes logo and cable" screen, and i can't do anything.

I tried to restore it via iTunes but i get error 3194. Tried the same in DFU mode, same result. I tried both with and without the hosts file entry. I disabled my antivirus. All of this was tried on two different Windows 10 computers with the latest version of iTunes. I also tried to use tinyumbrella, but all the versions of tinyumbrella that i could find did not have the "start TSS server" button, and this i cannot really understand.

My friend is not tech savy so i don't know exactly what he did to break it, i know he plugged it to the computer and did something. The phone could be jailbroken but i don't know for sure, i don't even know what version of iOS it's running.

Can this be fixed? I just want the phone to work, i don't care about a specific iOS version.

Thanks

Comments

• Gautam
    Gautam Posts: 491
    Options
    It is possible you're using the wrong firmware file. You can only install iOS 9.2.1 on your device currently.
  • Ciccioo
    Options
    Gautam said:

It is possible you're using the wrong firmware file. You can only install iOS 9.2.1 on your device currently.

I'll try to manually download that firmware and install it. The same error happens if i let iTunes download the firmware by itself though, so i'm not sure that's the problem.
    I'll try and report back
  • Ciccioo
    Options
    damn. i tried with the 9.2.1 firmware and it didn't work. then i tried to let itunes do it again and this time it worked. i don't know why, but i'm happy with it.
    thanks for the help!