Apple Investigating Exploding iPhone Incidents

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageApple Investigating Exploding iPhone Incidents

Reuters reports that a spokesperson from the European Union's consumer safety division has stated that Apple is investigating the incidents where users have alleged that their iPhones exploded. Apple believes these incidents are ‘isolated’ but will carry out tests to identify the root cause of the problem. There have been...

Read the full story here

Comments

• ej
    ej Posts: 19
    via Wordpress

Whoa I'm afraid now I typed this on an iPhone

• A Black Dude
    A Black Dude Posts: 167
    via Wordpress

my iphone screen keeps cracking in the same spot for no reason....literally no reason. i havent dropped it or anything. i've taken the iphone to the apple store here in chicago once and they actually took the phone and replaced the screen without any problems....this is a 1st for me as i've never seen or heard of apple doing repairs before, they would only replace the entire phone. not to mention that cracks are generally arent covered in the warranty given by apple as i have tried to get a cracked iphone replaced several times and they always blame it on accidental damage. now a few days ago after i got off a phone call the screen was cracked again in the same place and it was perfectly fine before the call. it seems apple has to know something is wrong with it...or they wouldnt be doing in-house repairs for cracked screens.

• Roger
    Roger Posts: 65
    via Wordpress

Amazing what people will do and say to try and make a few bucks.

• Codyboen@yahoo.com
    via Wordpress

An iPhone exploding..?

I don't really believe it for a second. I use my phone CONSTANTLY. I am always checking my e-mail, updating apps, texting, and using the internet. My iPhone (3GS) doesn't even get "warm" or "hot" like other people have been saying.

Some people must be doing some crazy stuff on their phones across seas to get their iPhone to in fact "explode".

Also why is it that people in other countries have had this happen but no one in the US has had this happen..? I couldn't get my iPhone to explode even if I wanted it to.

• n
    n Posts: 8
    via Wordpress

to Codyboen@yahoo.com

I have an Iphone 3G, and it gets hot if I use it for a long period of time (over 20 min). Talks over 20 min makes it hot. Playing with any application over 20 min makes it Hot. Tethering makes it hot.

As soon as I stop the activity and put it down, it cools down. My Iphone has not exploded yet, but the article worries me.

I got my Iphone 3G as soon as they put in the market July 2008. So I could say I have one from the first generation of 3G. Maybe they fixed the issue after that.

• Brawler
    Brawler Posts: 5
    via Wordpress

In fact, most cell phones uses lithium Ion batteries, just like they use lithium ion batteries on most notebooks. So it is possible that phone that uses lithium ion batteries can explode maybe because of defects in the battery or faulty circuit board. Anything can happen these days.

• hey i had an similar incident with my iphone( 1st generation 4gb) i pluged it into my cd player on my car and the phone shut down got so hot that burned my leg and apple gave me an iphone 8gb after i called and complained ! this happend in indianapolis indiana!!!

• Jason
    Jason Posts: 585
    via Wordpress

I may know a possible source for this. I was recording video of buddy dancing around this weekend with my phone. Awhile later I felt a burning sensation in my pocket and immediately realized it was my phone. Having the exploding iphone article on my mind I swiftly removed the phone from my pocket. It was hot to the touch and I realized I had accidently left the video recording on. I turned it off and it slowly cooled back down. I just thought I would write a quick post in case this would help anyone??? Peace.

• Dan c
    Dan c Posts: 27
    via Wordpress

I have a weird crack in iphone 3GS screen aswell. Its on the top just above my ear speaker. Its thin a line and it seems to be under the glass. I strongly the heat caused it since I have been using my iphone pretty heavily.

• Neuromods
    Neuromods Posts: 6
    via Wordpress

My iPhone 3g gets very hot when I use it for a good 20 minutes. But I believe the exploding cases may be caused by people leaving there iPhone in a HOT car or area. I have had times where mine gets very hot in my pocket but it has never cracked or exploded.
    Never leave your iPhone in a hot car or building.

• Andrew
    Andrew Posts: 168
    via Wordpress

I am one of the unlucky ones where my phone was about to go pop. Apple know about it. I plugged it in as normal, the screen shook and lines appeared then went blank. It got hotter and hotter to the point I couldn't hold it. I had heard about them exploding and so I didn't want a fire, I took it apart. It cooled down after that. If the screen had just gone blank, fine but it did some very VERY strange stuff before going blank. An idependant inspection showed one of the battery leads had come away causing a short. the phone was four weeks old and I treated it like a baby, so no abuse to it.
    I am in process of suing apple as they didn't want to know as I had taken it apart, despite it being the battery lead. Just a word from one of the RARE victims

• Jennifer
    Jennifer Posts: 23
    via Wordpress
    I am a diehard iPhone fan. So much so that I insisted my boyfriend also get one. He has had his for a few weeks. I have had mine for over a year. His exploded today!!! So as for them exploding, yes they DO! I'll still use mine however thank god my son wasn't using it since the plan was to let him since my boyfriend loved his so much he upgraded yesterday to an iPhone 4. Definitely think again before handing one to your child