TomTom's Turn-By-Turn GPS Application for the iPhone with Voice Navigation Released

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageTomTom's Turn-By-Turn GPS Application for the iPhone with Voice Navigation Released

TomTom had announced back in June that their turn-by-turn GPS application for the iPhone with voice navigation was coming soon to the iPhone App Store. MacRumors is reporting that four regional versions of TomTom's much-awaited iPhone app have finally appeared on New Zealand and Australian App Store after more than...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Thepartyguy
    Thepartyguy Posts: 57
    via Wordpress

Absolutelly no!.. to expensive.. when i already get gps on iphone 3gs... i can buy a tom tom separate for the same price....

plus you cannot hear music while app is on!

• Fishq
    Fishq Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I am both able to and have already started the download from the above AppStore link even though I live in Denmark.

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

Great! Thanks for the heads up, we have updated the post accordingly.

If you search for the iPhone apps in iTunes, they still don't show up, but
    the direct App Store links provided above seem to be working if you are in
    Europe. But links don't work in the US. So looks like the iPhone apps will
    be available at midnight.

Please don't forget to give us your feedback on the iPhone app.

• Chris
    Chris Posts: 736
    via Wordpress

Where does one buy the hardware from in Australia?

• Dwain
    Dwain Posts: 19
    via Wordpress

Nice... One Major problem... the price.

I can get a Tom Tom for slightly less with accessories... They can do better than this for the price... Can you imagine the profit... they are not having to send out any hardware or process shipping since it is to be downloaded. Come Tom Tom.

• SAiNT
    SAiNT Posts: 14
    via Wordpress

when i clicked the link the app was not found. sounds like apple pulled it for now.

• Dean
    Dean Posts: 125
    via Wordpress

Now the iphone gonna be the best phone ever!!!!

• doug_lear@yahoo.com
    via Wordpress

I am downloading the USA app now. It's taking a long time. I am in the USA.

• Arran
    Arran Posts: 19
    via Wordpress

Hell no! What a rip off! Apple sucks and is just yaking kmore money from the peole.
    If i needed it that bad i would buy the device itself.

• Benji
    Benji Posts: 18
    via Wordpress

For one its TomTom not apple and secondly use firefox; it has a built in spell checker ;-)

• Y W
    Y W Posts: 12
    via Wordpress

90$ !!!! that's a good joke, I already have the GPS and the maps for free, what do I get for those 90$ ?!

• dave
    dave Posts: 389
    via Wordpress

It's now posted in the U.S. and the North America Maps are listed at $99.99. A little steep for my taste.

If I really want audible turn by turn directions I think I will go with the telenav powered version of AT&T Navigator for $9.99/mo and only subscribe when I need it. (I don't often find myself in a situation where I need it that badly). For the same price as the Tom Tom app I could get 11 months of intermittent use and I wouldn't have to put all $99.99 up front.

Another thing, Tom Tom's app does not say anything about updating the maps. I know with AT&T Navigator every month you subscribe gives you access to the most recent maps. Tom Tom really needs to let the customer know if this is the case for their app as well.

• Jimbo
    Jimbo Posts: 23
    via Wordpress

i guess conjunctions aren't on your spell checker?

• bakreule
    bakreule Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

What a rip: Why 139 for the European version, and 99 for the US canada version? Having more countries in Western europe doesn't mean there's more roads to cover. If we're talking service area the US & Canada are far larger than even the ENTIRE European continent, to say nothing of just Western Europe.

Also, as someone already said, this is just the software, no kit.

Rip off.... No thanks.....

• marc
    marc Posts: 103
    via Wordpress

LMAO you tell em Jimbo!

• at&tHaTer
    at&tHaTer Posts: 21
    via Wordpress

I would rather be lost

• Harsha
    Harsha Posts: 84
    via Wordpress

RIP OFF!!!

I bought Magellan 4250 for 110$ (thanksgiving offer) and I cannot imagine how this world any person can pay 99$ for just the app (with no hardware from Tom Tom).

Are the maps going to be downloaded my iphone or is run through AT&T network? Because i cannot compromise my music/video on dumb maps, specially where i can get good decent directions of its original Google maps... And if it is running through cellular network.. i cannot believe that it would be much of use than Google maps as there are many dead zones where it would not work...

why would any anybody download this app??? Just go and buy a new GPS..

I would recommend them to pay

• 3amer
    3amer Posts: 23
    via Wordpress

see everyone! thats the reason **** is there!!! to fight this kinda crap

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

Folks at TomTom have tweeted that they will reveal more specifications and pricing of the car kit as soon as it becomes available.

It is expected later this summer.

• Wolverinemarky
    Wolverinemarky Posts: 518
    via Wordpress

i would much rather buy a gps then do this, when i first heard about this app coming to us I was gung ho for it but I was expecting a 99 dollar for the whole kit not just the app, heck the app the most I would pay is 20 bucks. Not worth it a huge rip off will just go buy me a Garmin Nav unit

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

Good question, the TomTom US & Canada iPhone app is 1.2 GB in size so the maps are stored locally so you don't need an internet connection.

The app doesn't feature live traffic which might have required an internet connection.

This is also the reason that the iPhone app will work on an iPod Touch with the car kit accessory.

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

That's really not the solution. We can't afford many things in life that doesn't mean we steal them.

• A Black Dude
    A Black Dude Posts: 167
    via Wordpress

yeah...ill be gettin this for free....

• A Black Dude
    A Black Dude Posts: 167
    via Wordpress

the same thing can be said about buying jailbroken/unlocked iphones. someone is buying a product from a 3rd party at they price they set since they cant afford the market price of $600-700. I am gettin the app from a third party for the price they set....it just happens to be $0

• Andy
    Andy Posts: 1,127
    via Wordpress

Absolutely no is right!! My god why is it so expensive? Who needs turn by turn nav with voice activation when there are free apps that get the job done. Tom Tom should be ashamed of themselves. I was looking forward to this application when I heard about it. Now I am going to write Tom Tom and tell them to stop being so greedy. Turn by turn is for people that can't read a map anyway. So I am basically paying to hear some voice tell me to go left. NO THANKS!!!

• shamrock
    shamrock Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Hmmm. We already have turn by turn on a hacked phone. Why would I buy that crap, when I already have it for free?

And even if I didn't, the phone has maps and a little blue dot. I'm sure I can figure it out with just that.

• vic's iphone
    via Wordpress

Did you get it working for free...:)

• vic's iphone
    via Wordpress

Did you get it working for free...:)

• JambaGreg
    JambaGreg Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

So.. turns out that the TomTom iPhone dock (not released at this point) doesn't actually enhance the GPS signal.. it uses a GPS chip and antenna that is built into it instead.
    Check out this About.com article that has info from the TomTom VP, Tom Murray.

http://gps.about.com/b/2009/06/10/more-details-on-tomtom-for-iphone-mount-has-its-own-gps-chip.htm

• JambaGreg
    JambaGreg Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

I'm actually considering not getting the software but just the mount for its funtionality.. I drive a Mini Cooper and all the mounts I have found for the iPhone SUCK.. this I can mount directly to my speed-o over my engine temp (totally legal) and reach the device vs mounting to the window where I cannot reach it. It even has its own mic and better loudspeaker! Great for driving :)