iPhone User Uses 'Find My iPhone' to Help Police Nab Robbers

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageiPhone User Uses 'Find My iPhone' to Help Police Nab Robbers

If you remember, Apple introduced a new feature called 'Find My iPhone' in iPhone OS 3.0 for MobileMe subscribers. The feature helps iPhone users with a MobileMe account to find the location of their iPhone if it is lost or stolen. We had doubted the effectiveness of the feature but...

Read the full story here

Comments

• MacAssist
    MacAssist Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

I used Find My iPhone when my daughter left her phone in a cab - I displayed a message to call me and had it play the sound - within 5 minutes I had a call from the taxi driver, and was able to get him to drop the phone off where my daughter was, all within about half an hour.

She'd already lost 2 iPhones (insured, thankfully), but this is much better than paying an excess and getting a new phone. It was cool watching the phone being driven around, and I was able to let my daughter know when the cab was nearby.

Yes, this can be disabled pretty easily (just set a pin code to make it a little harder) - if you can do the tracking sooner rather than later, you'll increase your chances of finding the phone tremendously.

I see that a similar, non-Apple app has come onto the store, with some features which might be enough for those not wanting to subscribe to MobileMe. For the few bucks, it might be worth investigating if you don't have a MobileMe sub. Between Find My iPhone and over the air syncing, I just paid for a subscription.

Sean

Disclaimer: I work for an Apple (but not iPhone) reseller - would still buy MobileMe even if I didn't for Find My iPhone and over-the-air syncing

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

That's pretty cool. Thanks Sean for sharing your experience with MobileMe.

Let's hope these features get even smarter (cannot be disabled easily) so
    that we can fight back against robbers and oh yeah, our forgetfulness.

• Dex
    Dex Posts: 7
    via Wordpress
    MobileMe is an interesting feature and a great thing to have on your phone just in case. Fortunately, I have never had to use it, but I know if I do end up losing my phone or (God forbid) getting robbed, I will have some extra insurance that might help me get my phone back. I do think that it should not be easy to disable MobileMe on the iPhone. I think it should require your MobileMe password if you want to disable it.