Loopt Brings First Always-On Location Service to the iPhone

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageLoopt Brings First Always-On Location Service to the iPhone

Loopt, a location-based social networking service has announced on their blog that they will be the first to offer always-on location service on the iPhone. Loopt has struck a deal with AT&T that will allow them to monitor a user’s location in the background and don’t need their iPhone app...

Read the full story here

Comments

• kDub
    kDub Posts: 48
    via Wordpress

I can see why many would like this service..being able to track your day-to-day travels could come in handy (if you're out and about all day).
    but it also feels like it's giving too much tracking power to any one company. I also like the option of turn on/off that feature. guess the 5k limit is to see how this turns out.

• Wolverinemarky
    Wolverinemarky Posts: 518
    via Wordpress

I like the feature jus don't like the price why should anyone pay 4 dollars more a month for that feature it's no worth It to me I don't need to track myslf that bad

• Alessandro
    Alessandro Posts: 12
    via Wordpress

W the PRIVACY! -.-"

• metromepmb
    metromepmb Posts: 36
    via Wordpress

Whats the point, you can't get a GPS signal indoors anyway, so you have to pay $4 to have old information because the person has moved from their previous location since it's not running in the background and therefore not updated their location.

The iPhone is great but just rubbish at multitasking. I bought a skypephone s2 for £40 and now I don't care about background non sense, it's always online and I can call on 3G for nothing whenever I want to woot!

• sKewlBoy
    sKewlBoy Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Are you actually comparing a skyphone to an iPhone...?
    Besides it tracks people from AT&T information, so it has nothing to do with GPS, probably, just network cell info.
    I would never use an Always-On location feature but a big plus from this method vs background is avoiding the battery draining, which remains the biggest issue with iPhone (besides the SDK limitations).

• metromepmb
    metromepmb Posts: 36
    via Wordpress

Yeh ofc I was comparing iphone poor attempt to do anything interesting these days it's quite reasonable for me to expect to have always on IM capabilities for a phone at the iphone's price point. But their method sucks and it's too over complicated. Moral of the story go for something nice and simple like the skypephone as well as your iphone :)