Apple Acquired Placebase, A Google Maps Substitute Back in July

Andy
Andy Posts: 1,127
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageApple Acquired Placebase, A Google Maps Substitute Back in July

With Google and Apple now starting to compete over multiple products with the advent of Android, Chrome OS, and with recent issues over the objection of Google Voice and Google Latitude iPhone apps, Apple probably thinks it best to move away from its dependency on Google as much as possible....

Read the full story here

Comments

• Firat Ataman
    Firat Ataman Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

Apple and Google could have done great things together.. Would love to see them work together instead of competing with each other...

• Dwain
    Dwain Posts: 19
    via Wordpress

this was stupid of Apple to not to work with Google..

• Bobbo
    Bobbo Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

In their defense, they shouldn't be actively helping a company that's in direct competition with them. First a browser, then a phone, now an OS. The CEO of Google stepped down from the Apple board a while ago because of this. It's unfortunate but it only makes sense.

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

Wouldn't it be better from our (customer) point of view that tech giants like Apple and Google push each other to constantly innovate rather than work together.

Apple might be in a better position with the iPhone as Google can't afford to ignore it and will have to keep developing innovative apps for the iPhone.

• StockG
    StockG Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

When will it happen how do we get apples new maps

• hxclos
    hxclos Posts: 353
    via Wordpress

I agree however I think Apple will eventually loose to Google unless they do something about it because Google is using Apple to promote their brand on the iPhone. The funny thing is that Apple has been helping the proccess and is just starting to realize it. Notice how the default search engine is Google or how Maps comes standard on every iPhone? And correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Google also buy YouTube? Everyone was mad at AT&T about the removal of the Google voice app but I suspected Apple acted alone because they want to minimize the amount of exposer Google is getting on the iPhone. Unfortunatly for Apple that is illigal and the FCC is watching. My advise to Apple is, Fight back and make your own search engine! Even Microsoft was smart enough to think of that! Even better, try buying Yahoo!

• nick
    nick Posts: 219
    via Wordpress

well, i dont know. i sit on the fence on this choice. apple shouldn't directly promote the competition. but at the same time companies in the 21 century need to think intelligently. Google plus Apple is a win-win situation for both companies, they work together, make money together, and Google helps Apple just as much as Apple helps Google.

• Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 137
    via Wordpress

Google doesn't actually make a phone they just make the OS. HTC is the leading provider of phones for Google.

• Gobinath
    Gobinath Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

if Apple comes up with its native maps application, then Google will make a iPhone apps for their maps service. Which will be rejected by Apple stating that this application will confuse the user. I wonder why i am having this iPhone now. Like atleast in windows if i dont know some native application,i have a choice of replacing / removing it. Where as in iphone i have to use that crap

• Kray-Z
    Kray-Z Posts: 85
    via Wordpress

Ok, some one tell me if I'm wrong but I think in the next few years, Google will way out win the iPhone. All they need is a little more time with the OS and a good company to make an awesome phone for the OS to go on. I honestly see my self ditching the iPhone for a Google phone eventually. Google has always been pro innovation and helping out the little man while Apple have always been the type to lock you down and restrict you. Two complete different types of making money, one tries to monopolize, the other injects it self in to all structures of the economy. We will see who wins.

• Kray-Z
    Kray-Z Posts: 85
    via Wordpress

...structures of the market not economy, lol sorry for the typo. Too late for me to edit.