Apple Signs Agreement With Orange To Sell iPhones in UK - End Of O2 Exclusivity

Andy
Andy Posts: 1,127
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageApple Signs Agreement With Orange To Sell iPhones in UK - End Of O2 Exclusivity

Popular UK network operator, Orange, has today revealed that it has reached an agreement with Apple to sell iPhones in the country. This ends the exclusive partnership that network operator O2 enjoyed with Apple over the sale of iPhones in UK for the past two years. While the exact date...

Read the full story here

Comments

• brian
    brian Posts: 218
    via Wordpress

I just hope they do it here, how cool would it be if Verizon, t-mobile and sprint also get on with Iphone , that would mean no more locked iphones....

• Tick
    Tick Posts: 28
    via Wordpress

So why are we still trapped with AT&T here in the states!?!?
    While I personally like AT&T I think it would significantly lighten the load on the network if more than one carrier provided service for iPhone. About half the people I know that have iPhones would leave AT&T in a heartbeat if they could do so
    legitimately. Duh... I just answered my own question

• Rob
    Rob Posts: 314
    via Wordpress

Bad move apple should have went with 3 iv got mine unlocked to 3 I have faster browsing speeds than o2 and orange....I pay £15 a mnth for unlimted texts unlimted Internet and unlimted phone calls to other 3 nos plus a 100mins to other networks....if I hook my phone to a laptop I get basic web pages loading mostly mobile based...but if I pay an extra £10 I get 1gb of data to use my phone as a dongle

• brian
    brian Posts: 218
    via Wordpress

that would mean cheaper at&t for sure...

• ZedSefi
    ZedSefi Posts: 130
    via Wordpress

I am one of iPhone 3GS contract users on O2 UK network.

Now I became worried (not because Orange is going to compete in iPhone business which is great) but because I don't know what future is hidden there for existing O2 users. Does this mean when new iPhone model comes out; that only Orange is going to sell it, not O2? If this is true then it will be a problem if Orange are going to sell locked iPhones too!

The thing is; this means that I have to switch to Orange to get the new device and leave O2 completely. The contract is not the problem as I can wait for it to run out, but I like my existing O2 service! The 3G network speed is great here where I live and the unlimited data plan is a killer deal! Don't get me wrong, Orange could have a better 3G network experience and I cannot judge because I never had an Orange-based mobile phone deal, but many people know me on my O2 phone number and I do not want to trash it just to get a new service! Who said that Orange will provide an unlimited data plan as well? I hope that Orange will provide a solution to attract existing iPhone O2 users who are willing to switch to their network by seamlessly transferring their monthly contracts or at least to keep their phone numbers, but I do not think this is possible.

• Sam
    Sam Posts: 218
    via Wordpress

Hell to the yh, I bought the iPhone from my uncle a year ago, and 6 months ago I bought the 3 G, I was litterally going down to the o2 store tommorow but I'll wait and get it on orange now, does anyone agree with me when I say o2 3G sucks, and I hope orange get the 3 GS going well can't wait now, and for the US users, AT&T still have their contract with apple for another year, in 2007 Verizon were first approached with the iPhone but they didn't want it, I think T Mobile will get it after AT&T .

• Steve
    Steve Posts: 326
    via Wordpress

Wait till orange change the iPhone with it orange safari and homepage orange widgets it be crap And it's non inclusive net time

• Chris
    Chris Posts: 736
    via Wordpress

I've been on Orange UK for a number of years. For the past two years I've had iPhones.

The 3G coverage on Orange is the best in the UK and is very fast. Orange already know how many people are using iPhones on their network.

On Orange I get 1600 anytime/network minutes, unlimited text messages and unlimited internet. I can also use my phone as a connection on my laptop all free of charge. I pay £18 per month. That was with a top of the range Nokia N96 at the time of release.

Orange is one of the best networks in terms of service and coverage.

If you have a fault with your handset and have cover, you will get a replacement the very next morning, even on Christmas morning!

• Fingers21
    Fingers21 Posts: 243
    via Wordpress

T-mobile uk have told me they will be selling the iPhone and hope to do so before Christmas! Orange coverage is far better than o2, my signal is beyond a joke at home on o2! But orange are expensive, even voicemail isn't free! And I agree, they do slap widgets etc all over the homepage, which really sucks! I won't switch to orange, but will consider t-mobile and will snap it up on 3 as explained by someone above, cheap but awesome!

• Dereck
    Dereck Posts: 16
    via Wordpress

Vodafone UK will be selling the iPhone from early 2010 - both the 3G and 3GS.

A pre-registration site opens today followed by Orange UK: www.vodafone.co.uk/iphone

• Fingers21
    Fingers21 Posts: 243
    via Wordpress

You've been able to keep your number when changing network for years my friend! You need the PAC code from o2, they will try every trick in the book to try and get you to stay, but they will give you the code if you decline. Then when you sign with the new network, give them the code, which is only valid for 30 days by the way and they'll do the rest. So your own number and a better network coverage as o2 3g is sh@t!

• Rob
    Rob Posts: 314
    via Wordpress

orange dont have the best coverage where ever you got ur info from your wrong I worked for orange for over 3 years, than o2 had to pay 3 to use there 3g satelites meaning they didnt have proper use or say,
    3 now covers 94% of the uk including some of the islands around scotland wich o2, orange did not, I could easily post up a video on youtube to prove that 3 is the faster network than o2, orange t mobile and vodafone and virgin and ill make it fair by into city centre where all the networks have full signal....give me a few days and ill post up the link

• TimW
    TimW Posts: 430
    via Wordpress

Im an O2 Pay and Go User, I have the 8gig 3G, Jailbroken on OS 3.0.1 (3.0 IPSW)
    Currently, I topup £15 every other month as i'm lucky whare all my mates are on O2. I get free calls and texts to other O2 users and have 2 months left of the free WiFi Bolt On (included in upfront cost, standalone cost £10 month) at the end of the 30 days, my original £15 gets eaten away
    All i'd be interested in is what Orange can offer as an incentive to switch networks, can/will they give me a similar deal for what works out at £7.50 a month for me at present.

I 'was' an Orange contract user until i got my iPhone, but their customer service was horrendous, the network coverage wasn't great, and mid Wales was equivalent to leaving the phone at home. Brecon Beacons & engine failure isn't funny when your on Orange.

T-Mobile?? A Joke network setup to see how many gullible people lived here.

3 ? Better than it was, network built around data transfer, internet etc, currently fastest UK 3G connection speeds. Would make sense to provide users with the iPhone, but could their network cope with the demand? They suffered some Major crashes when people suddenly discovered Video Conferencing, **which only worked within distance of Triangulation towers, aka city centres of: London, Reading, Manchester and Glasgow**
    3 could hammer the other networks if they spent their money wisely, yet people remember the bad press they recieved and tend to steer clear.

• TimW
    TimW Posts: 430
    via Wordpress

Forgot to add:
    At the end of O2's 12 months pay and go, eBay for a new iPhone sim with Bolt On,use new sim for a week then ring O2 customer services for Number Port, then 12 months free WiFi & 3G again (if they catch on and refuse no. port, i'll just txt mates with new no. after all, it'll be free texts again lmao)

• gaganjyot
    gaganjyot Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

O2 sucks. i am an o2 pay monthly iphone user. 3g sucks on o2 network believe. why i can say that coz i have two other phones which are contracts and are on 3 network and orange. i would say orange way way better than o2 when it comes to 3g. but i think 3 is better than both of them. one thing is sure guys all of u including me are being ripped off by o2 just because of iphone. orange and 3 is better trust me they are, i think all of us on o2 should move. if u check o2 in the last three quarters have put on maximum iphone contracts.

• Seedbox
    Seedbox Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I will wait now until vodafone release the iphone in 2010 hopefully it should be free with a 12 month contract.
    Good to see o2 knocked down after monopolizing the market.