DoubleTwist Brings Amazon MP3 Store to the iPhone; Gives Palm an iTunes Alternative

Andy
Andy Posts: 1,127
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageDoubleTwist Brings Amazon MP3 Store to the iPhone; Gives Palm an iTunes Alternative

The past few weeks have seen Palm being in the news for all the wrong reasons. We first wrote about them when the USB Implementors Forum disapproved of their practice of hacking iTunes to let Palm Pre users use the Apple software. After Apple had disabled their hack, we reported...

Read the full story here

Comments

• hxclos
    hxclos Posts: 353
    via Wordpress

This is a great idea except for the fact that it looks too much like iTunes where I would not doubt Apple may file a lawsuit against them in the near future. I mean come on, that is a mirror image!

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

True, but less cluttered. Though its more to do with the fact that it offers only music unlike iTunes which offers music, movies, iPhone apps etc etc.

• JT
    JT Posts: 60
    via Wordpress

"...it is very much possible that Apple does a rethink too on opening up iTunes to devices other than their own..."

Not going to happen.

Doubletwist will eventually win in the same way that NetFlix has already crushed AppleTV.

This is where many people misunderstand iTunes. It's not a music business. It's a customer fulfillment business. Their customers *are* people who own Apple devices. Their market is people who might buy an Apple device, based on a number of reasons.

Their devices need OSes, they make OSes for those devices. They are not an OS company.

Their devices play music so they bring music to those devices. They are not a music distribution company.

Their devices play movies, so they bring movies to those devices. They are not a movie distribution company.

Their devices run applications, so they bring applications to those devices. They are not a software company.

All of those things are about adding value to the Apple brand devices.

They don't supply applications for non-Apple devices, why would/should they provide content for them?

How many people use iTunes as their music player and purchase iTunes Store content on Windows without having an iPod? iTunes and the store exist primarily for the iPod. Apple would like it to exist secondarily for the Apple TV but people don't feel they need another device under their TV, least of all a hobbled computer that does something as trivial as playback of multi-media. This is something we already have devices for.

The iPod worked because the portable device space was wide open. The fixed device space has been saturated for years. Heck, all the junk around my TV could easily be built into the friggin' TV with a few chips, an HD, and a BD slot. In fact, I'd prefer it.

Apple could use iTunes to play into the fixed device space but that's not their business. They play into the *Apple* device space only.

Smart move would have been having a very cheap multi-media center version of OSX and cheap "Apple on a chip" for static device manufacturers to include in their device.

But Apple won't play in any arena where it doesn't control the end-to-end experience.

We've seen how this goes. I suspect the iPod/iPhone will be the Sony Walkman of the digital age. I loved the walkman at the time, too. I still have one in the bottom of a drawer somewhere.

• nintendo ds r4 card
    via Wordpress

This is great news and I will definitely be checking it out. The only thing that kept me using iTunes was it's ease and the fact that some of my music (sadly) will still only play on apple software (and I'm to cheap to go pay for the updates..atleast for now). Thankfully, I did stop buying most of my music from Apple years ago and switched to Amazon. Looking forward to it. Why Amazon never did this themselves is beyond me, but hopefully someone will market it.

• huff
    huff Posts: 14
    via Wordpress

I will definitely give it a try. I prefer buying music from amazon over itunes myself.

• guy wire
    guy wire Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

how does it work with the iphone?

• huff
    huff Posts: 14
    via Wordpress

Turns out it doesn't work for the iPhone yet and probably never will. Oh well

• Mr gREEN
    Mr gREEN Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Haha well what about free music you can get online try music.yahoo.cn or mp3.baidu.com if you cant read chinese just google translate them

• Mr gREEN
    Mr gREEN Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

hOPE ONE DAY SOMEONE CAN COPY DOUBLE TWIST AND ITUNES STORE AND MAKE A SERVER FOR IT IN CHINA. AS CHINA IS PROTECTED

• productos para adelgazar
    via Wordpress
    I am no longer sure the place you are getting your info, however great topic. I must spend a while finding out more or working out more. Thanks for great information I used to be looking for this info for my mission.