New iPhone App Lets You Lock, Unlock And Remotely Start Your Car

Andy
Andy Posts: 1,127
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageNew iPhone App Lets You Lock, Unlock And Remotely Start Your Car

Directed Electronics, a California based company has released a new iPhone application that lets users lock, unlock and even remotely start their cars without the need of a key fob. Unlike traditional key remotes that is effective only within a small range, Viper SmartStart is operable from virtually any distance....

Read the full story here

Comments

• Jimbo
    Jimbo Posts: 23
    via Wordpress

$499 for the unit..how crazy!!

• TimW
    TimW Posts: 430
    via Wordpress

Now there's a cracked app I'd want lol

• Minitruck007
    Minitruck007 Posts: 5
    via Wordpress

If you read it right, it says that the app is free and that the unit (the alarm) can be bought and installed at a best buy. It's 499 for the alarm not the app. Im sure if you shop around you can get a better price from another store close by.

• Jay
    Jay Posts: 295
    via Wordpress

Lmao how many cars are going to get broken into.......

• Shawn
    Shawn Posts: 39
    via Wordpress

How are cars going to get broken into? It's no different than having keyless entry on your keyfob.

You have a keychain, you pull it out of your pocket, you unlock your car.

You have an iPhone, you pull it out of your pocket, you unlock your car.

• Jacky Chan
    Jacky Chan Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

I think he meant if the software contains bug, hackers will get access to your car because the same software is installed in all the devices. whilst having the keychain and its stock device, noone knows what you have...

• Harsha
    Harsha Posts: 84
    via Wordpress

Service plan required. One year service plan included. $29.99/year after the first year.

Gets expensive really fast. And it looks like they are sold only in Best Buy..

499$ + Installation fee + Service plan (29.99/yr) = EXPENSIVE

• Dean
    Dean Posts: 125
    via Wordpress

i m going to wait until the price drop to $49 dollars!!!!

• Mickey3390
    Mickey3390 Posts: 9
    via Wordpress

Sounds like a crock to me you can go to any parts store and buy a remote start unit for around $100.00 and install it yourself quite easily just a couple of wires and a few mounting screws. And it comes with a key fob some are even programible to work other features in your car ie Windows / Locks also if you have onstar you can have your car remotely unlocked. But ultimatly if you don't have an extra set of keys you can have one made at a locksmith shop that will only unlock the doors and put it in a magnetic box on your car they can also make replacement chipped keys for most domestic cars far cheeper than a dealer does. Just some usefull info I thought Id share. Also if you leave your heater or AC on when you get out of your car when you remote start it will start too this dosnt work with heated seats as they have a pressure sensor in them. FYI This is too much money for what your getting. Also the ativation distance with most remote start units is in excess of 400 feet anyhow. Hope this helps yo. And hey if you have the cash to throw away on this please dont and send it to me cause I sure could use it been off work for 1 1/2 years due to VA still no answer. Any how thats another story.

• kha
    kha Posts: 5
    via Wordpress

will this work on a mercedez 2006 ml350 ?

• ethanr316
    ethanr316 Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

Pretty cool item:) I would love to have one of these though!

• balls
    balls Posts: 7
    via Wordpress

wTf mate this is so ecPen$ive omg

• Tim G
    Tim G Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

Hey guys, just thought I'd mention that Click-Vroom.com is coming out with a product that does all the SmartStart does and more for less than HALF the price! I don't know how Viper can get away with charging so much, but that will soon end. Enter the DynaKey! I know I'm gettin one!

Incidentally, I own a normal remote starter myself, and there's no need for concern regarding theft because all you're doing is starting your car's engine. The key is needed to drive it off, and the engine will be killed instantly the moment someone tries to change gears otherwise.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw that out there.

Cheers,
    Tim G.