Tethering Might Not be Coming to AT&T's iPhone Customers in 2009

Andy
Andy Posts: 1,127
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageTethering Might Not be Coming to AT&T's iPhone Customers in 2009

Bad news for those of you who were still expecting AT&T to keep their word on allowing tethering over the iPhone before the end of this year. In our previous post on the topic, we had written that tethering might not be coming anytime soon but was positively expected to...

Read the full story here

Comments

• JB
    JB Posts: 110
    via Wordpress

BIG DEAL!! Jailbreak and get PDA net, no sweat.

• anonymous
    anonymous Posts: 106
    via Wordpress

I can't think of any other way AT&T could say any louder: "Our network sucks!"

Maybe this is also why they are taking extra steps to restrict JB on newer iPhones. They might be really taking a hit on their network even from the JB tetherers alone.

Time for a new carrier.

• badfish
    badfish Posts: 8
    via Wordpress

Time to JB. I was waiting because I only really need the tethering capabilities, but since:
    - AT&T allows tethering on other phones only so they can compete with Verizon's service on those phones, and
    - When I'm in my apartment, my iphone 3G randomly drops calls quite frequently, and
    - Since AT&T is not enabling tethering on the iPhone anytime soon, and
    - Since Verizon's 3G coverage is much better in my area

then it's time to JB and tether via PDA net. I wonder how Apple feels about this...that customers have to hack their product just to use some of it's features since the iPhone's exclusive carrier can't handle the bandwidth.

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 5
    via Wordpress

just jailbreak the iphone and say screw you ATT i will still tether my phone with or with out you.

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 134
    via Wordpress

What is tethering can anybody tell me

• me
    me Posts: 220
    via Wordpress

Tethering is the ability to use your phone as a wireless modem for a computer to be able to access the internet...

• Chris Wade
    Chris Wade Posts: 50
    via Wordpress

No need to jailbreak if you are still on 3.0 firmware, you can enable tethering easily. 3.1+ requires jailbreaking, the problem that I have with PDA Net is that it is buggy, at best.

• Chris Wade
    Chris Wade Posts: 50
    via Wordpress

If you are on 3.1+ you can enable it using the trial of MyWi from Rockyourphone.com

It appears that if you enabled tethering this way, it will stay enabled, even if you uninstall MyWi, I will test it tonight and we will see how it goes. But this appears to once again enable the built-in tethering, this time it requires a jailbroken phone.

• Dizi
    Dizi Posts: 21
    via Wordpress

Expecting tethering from AT&T right now, with the level of complaints about the network, and talk of throttling bandwidth, is false hope. It won't happen.

• Distortedloop
    Distortedloop Posts: 64
    via Wordpress

Agreed re: PDANet. It's flakey, if not buggy, on a Mac, since you're forced to tether via WiFi. Frequent drops in connection, and hard to reestablish. On Windows machines, which can tether via USB, PDANet works well.

There's a jailbreak app called MyWi that USB tethers for Macs, and it is 100% solid for me, so reliable and easy to use you'd think Apple wrote it themselves. Problem with that one is it requires the RockMyiPhone extensions, which allegedly are risky to install on the latest jailbreaks, though my 3.0 jailbroken iPhone (old spare that I use exclusively for tethering when needed) has had no problems with RockMyiPhone.

• Rcas
    Rcas Posts: 53
    via Wordpress

I'm still not seeing the problems other people are reporting... I get fewer dropped calls with my 3GS than when I had a HTC Wizard (Cingular 8125) way before the iPhone came out. My only complaint is that sometimes my 3G coverage isn't that great but thats usually when I go out of a developed area and into the mountains or rural towns. Oh and I tether using the carrier settings hack since I'm still on 3.0.1

• tim
    tim Posts: 173
    via Wordpress

3g coverage sucks outside of the metropolitan areas... that's at&t's one downfall... oh and the fact that their tower 2 miles from my house likes to crash every couple months for about a week

• Chase
    Chase Posts: 35
    via Wordpress

My son is teething. Does that count?

• badfish
    badfish Posts: 8
    via Wordpress

Any luck? I'm just trying to figure out which way would be better for me to tether: I have an iPhone 3G running fw 3.1 and my laptop is a macbookpro running OS X leopard. Any suggestions? Gracias :)

• va
    va Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

only if the teething ring is a frozen iPhone

• bogey
    bogey Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

I think they should be forced to allow tethering, so the ATT network crashes and causes massive service disruptions. Then apple would have to end the monopoly and open up the iphone to other carriers. We could finally get iphones with any company we wanted to.

Sometimes disaster has to happen for new life to begin.

• nsfw
    nsfw Posts: 35
    via Wordpress

Since I'm carrier unlocked, are there any carrier SIM solutions for just data?
    Don't know if i make sense, but basically I don't want to get stuck with a AT$T 500 bill for tethering..(does that happen?) and maybe get a tmobile pay as you go or something that would allow unlimited data and never get stuck with a huge bill.

• DanTheGeeK
    DanTheGeeK Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

3G doesn't work with t-mobile tho. so you would be stuck with edge, but idk if the prepaid sim would even work :/