Gaming App Developer Sued for Harvesting iPhone Users' Cell Numbers

Andy
Andy Posts: 1,127
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageGaming App Developer Sued for Harvesting iPhone Users' Cell Numbers

Storm8, the developer of popular gaming apps like iMobsters and Vampires Live is in the news for all the wrong reasons. A case has been filed against the company by Washington resident, Michael Turner for allegedly harvesting cellphone numbers of iPhone users downloading their iPhone apps. This is not the...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Joyful
    Joyful Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

I think people drill apple all the time for locking down their device, for not allowing software to be installed on the phones with an app store (and it's approval process). I think this episode is just a perfect example of what could be happening so much more if apple didn't control their device so much. Credit to apple I say, I hope this makes people have a bit more faith in the app store approval rather than criticize it.

• klutch
    klutch Posts: 54
    via Wordpress

but this is one that was approved. And i never heard of any problems like this with cydia store and rock and icy(R.I.P)

• Rolf
    Rolf Posts: 11
    via Wordpress

This calls for an iPhone version of Little Snitch...

• Distortedloop
    Distortedloop Posts: 64
    via Wordpress

There is a Little Snitch type app for the iPhone. Check in the Cydia store for something like iPhone Firewall. It's not free, but it's there.

• Distortedloop
    Distortedloop Posts: 64
    via Wordpress

@joyful - I don't understand why you're praising Apple's App Store approval process when it failed to do exactly the thing they say the process takes so long to accomplish.

• Delcopa
    Delcopa Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Apples is the one setting the rules and testing and verifying which apps they allow or dissallow so you know what I think they are just as much fault. If we were allowed to do what we wanted and it was open then it would be between the app developer and the person. But this isnt the case you would never see somethign like this in a open phone cause the maker of the other devices have it open where you can install what you want so releases thier liability. I say put apple in the suit if they get hit on it then maybe they would just open it up

• Kevin
    Kevin Posts: 154
    via Wordpress

Apple can't be blamed for the malpractices of others..but it is a concern. if they are going to require an approval process in the first place, this should never happen. in fact..if this company, Storm8, was already under suspicion..Apple should have done something before it got to this point.

I believe Apple is responsible for NOT being responsible. Privacy is a very big concern..especially in this day..and for Apple to let THIS slip?? I mean..think of all the other things they reject..for almost no reason at all..

• Kevin
    Kevin Posts: 154
    via Wordpress

and this guy..storm8...
    "bug" my ASS..
    how stupid is that? a bug that catches all the phone numbers of anyone using the app??
    the most retarded thing i've ever heard.

• John Chrighton
    John Chrighton Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I've used Storm8 applications- this really pisses me off. I'm finding the class action suit now.