AT&T Sues Verizon Over 'Misleading' Ad Campaign

Andy
Andy Posts: 1,127
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageAT&T Sues Verizon Over 'Misleading' Ad Campaign

Remember the 'There's a map for that' ad from Verizon where the carrier claims that they have five times more 3G coverage than AT&T? AT&T is not happy with the way their network coverage has been portrayed in the ad and has now filed a lawsuit against Verizon for what...

Read the full story here

Comments

• A Black Dude
    A Black Dude Posts: 167
    via Wordpress

thats what they are complaining about....that since it is only showing 3g sevice people will think they wont get ANY service in those areas. they want to to show a full map with color coding they like they display in any wireless store. i dont consider it a low blow when they asked them to change it and they didnt...

• RP
    RP Posts: 10
    via Wordpress

Look, the point of the ad is not about general coverage. It's about 3G coverage. Verizon has a right to show only 3G coverage maps, that is the point of the ad, who has more 3G coverage. If the color it in, then they will subdue the whole point of the commercial and the 3G areas won't stand out. Pick any color you want, say yellow, if they made the non 3G area's yellow instead of white on both maps, the effect would still be the same! It's not illegal or slanderous or anything if they state the truth. ATT doesn't have a bar to stand on in this one.

• Dizi
    Dizi Posts: 21
    via Wordpress

I'm guessing people are getting tired of hearing "theres a map for that" 50 times in one commercial...as if all they have are a bunch of maps!? WTF needs more maps?

• Antman
    Antman Posts: 6
    via Wordpress

Verizon is and will always be the big bully I live in the puget sound and there coverage and 3g coverage is the same as AT&T

• John
    John Posts: 790
    via Wordpress

As a corporate lawyer, I think this lawsuit is hysterical. AT&T's legal department must be smoking something funny... This is akin to the car commercials in which car A compares itself to car B and demonstrates how car A is better - but you don't see car B suing and saying "Well, yeah it's true, but car A didn't inform everybody that our car B has really nice head rests!" Get real - AT&T has a massive ad budget, if they want to respond or inform people of their great "coverage," they are certainly entitled to advertise it. Silly lawsuits like this only benefit lawyers - oh wait, nevermind, in that light, the lawsuit is a good idea ;-)

• matt
    matt Posts: 283
    via Wordpress

hahaha AT&T had to give their lawyers SOMETHING to do...

• Harsha
    Harsha Posts: 84
    via Wordpress
  • badfish
    badfish Posts: 8
    via Wordpress

too bad i can't 'like' your response, like a status message on facebook. good one, John :)

• Chris Wade
    Chris Wade Posts: 50
    via Wordpress

Again, I have to say what others have, the whole point of this AD is to show 3G coverage for both companies, why would they show anything else on either map? It wouldn't make sense.

• John
    John Posts: 790
    via Wordpress

The original ad implied that ATT had no coverage outside of the colored areas on the map. Like the lady unable to receive messages on the bench. Which is why they edited the ad to say that data and voice services are available outside of 3g coverage.

• Ashton
    Ashton Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Honestly if you are that worried about faster internet then hook up to wifi somewhere, its on every corner now. Why change services for a little faster download. Besides CDMA sucks. Sim cards are so much easier to use and activate.