Google Ready To Offer Navigation App For iPhone if Apple Agrees

Andy
Andy Posts: 1,127
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageGoogle Ready To Offer Navigation App For iPhone if Apple Agrees

In the Motorola Droid ad campaign, Verizon claims that Droid does all that the iPhone doesn't. One such feature that the iPhone doesn't support was revealed by Google earlier this week. Available on Android OS 2.0 , the Google Maps Navigation is a real-time turn-by-turn GPS navigation system that is...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Wolverinemarky
    Wolverinemarky Posts: 518
    via Wordpress

i want that google gps app hopefully apple wont be douchebags and will finally approve something we want

• Mercuryshadow
    Mercuryshadow Posts: 5
    via Wordpress

I'll be moving to Android when I'm eligible for upgrade anyway. I'm sick of Apple's draconian approval process.

• Josh
    Josh Posts: 265
    via Wordpress
  • Chris Wade
    Chris Wade Posts: 50
    via Wordpress

+3 for Droid (if I can convince my boss, my wife already has a myTouch and the coverage is tons better with T-mobile than with AT&T)

I do think the GPS app would be a competitive edge for Droid, GPS Apps are expensive, although if you have a jailbroken iPhone, you can get xGPS for free and it works fairly well.

• Vishnu
    Vishnu Posts: 199
    via Wordpress

He iPhone Users if you have jailbroken iPhone,just download NAVIGON NAVIGATION ITS AWESOME
    GOT IT FROM APPULOS
    Anyway i am waiting for Google GPS NAVIGATION FOR IPHONE but the bad thing is that it requires internet

• Jeth
    Jeth Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

Sure! I want to see this app in my iphone.

• hxclos
    hxclos Posts: 353
    via Wordpress

I wonder if Tom Tom's accessory will work with this app and boost the GPS signal in those forrest parts of the US. Hopefully it does cuz I'm planning to buy it but not their app.

• apple sucks and att 2
    via Wordpress

apple takes about 1 year to approve something... so dont be so happy about this....

• dave
    dave Posts: 389
    via Wordpress

While the Google app alone may not "the" competitive advantage, it may be the perverbial straw that breaks the camel,s back for some users when combined with the cumulative Droid features.

• RP
    RP Posts: 10
    via Wordpress

+5 (I have 2 iPhones)I am jumping ship next Friday. Droid and Verizon here I come! I realize the Droid may not have the awesome array of fart apps that the iPhone has but give it time. (Sarcasm)

• Ian Clarke
    Ian Clarke Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

Remember when you didn't need anybody's permission to create innovative software?

• Fingers21
    Fingers21 Posts: 243
    via Wordpress

I have copilot europe on my iphone, it is an amazing app, but will definately go for google's turn by turn navigation! I'm iPhone all the way, but then i'm u.k, so have no issues with AT+T, but o2 are shite! But that is also soon to change, with other networks picking it up!

• John
    John Posts: 790
    via Wordpress

I have a magellan GPS with traffic but since the iPhone came out I use Maps to navigate. Generally I know where i am going but use the traffic updates to decide the best route to take. Google is an order of magnitude superior to the traffic service that magellan uses.

Apple I love you but bend over backwards to get the help that Google is offering this will benefit both of you as well as all of us.

If the other GPS service can't compete with google then Darwinian laws prevail

• Rabiya Khan
    Rabiya Khan Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Nice blog, infact a lot of gud things which I was searching from a lot of days but got them from here.. nice efforts :)

You can however find some information regarding iPhones, iMate, IPoD and other Apple products on http://infotainment.mayoclub.net

• Scott
    Scott Posts: 164
    via Wordpress

Nice.... encourage thievery of intellectual property. And you wonder why Apple locks down the iPhone!

Yes, I'm Jailbroken, there are apps I want, but I don't use 'cracked' apps. I gladly paid for Navigon. It does what I want at a realistic price point. It cost them to develop it, and if you expect them to improve they need an income stream to do so.

My$0.02

• ewj
    ewj Posts: 26
    via Wordpress

Apple takes 3-6 weeks to approve an app - not a year. I sale two apps in the store now. The downside to the google app (and this is the only one) you need access to a high speed network to get maps. Products like Igo/Ndrive/Sygic/TomTom give you the maps so they are always with you. Yes, the maps do get updated.

The iPhone gets bad reception because it as bad and small antennae. My wife's HTC on ATT gets OK reception in many places I get none.

Now that I am not doing any international travel I will move back to VZ and probably get a droid phone nest year.

• Ron
    Ron Posts: 69
    via Wordpress

Yes, I want it for iPhone...

• @FastMall
    @FastMall Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

The best indoor navigation iphone app for 2010 by far is FastMall so far. Works without GPS, its amazing. http://www.FastMall.com

• Ricky
    Ricky Posts: 33
    via Wordpress

Don't do it, androids suck!!! I had one for 2 months and I am only 2 weeks in with the iphone and it blows android away. Oh and good luck getting you android battery to last more than 6 or 7 hours. DONT DO IT TRUST ME!!!

• Frits
    Frits Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Without GPS, I'm amazed and will try it. The GPS connection on my iPhone drops all the time.

Thanks, Frits