Facebook iPhone App Developer Quits To Protest Apple App Approval Procedures

Andy
Andy Posts: 1,127
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageFacebook iPhone App Developer Quits To Protest Apple App Approval Procedures

The iPhone App Store has been ridiculed quite a bit in the past over their draconian as well as inconsistent approval policies. These policies of Apple claimed another victim today when Joe Hewitt, the brain behind Facebook's iPhone app announced that he was quitting the project. In a message sent...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Franky
    Franky Posts: 12
    via Wordpress

Ooh man here we go again with app approval problems. Apple is apple and there not going to change. Hopefully in the future when compition is stronger they will change there ways. But for now there the king Of apps and what they say go. Hopefully one day it bites them in there @ss hard. I feel the same why as u Joe.

• Robert
    Robert Posts: 146
    via Wordpress

Why do you need an approval process to prevent apps from stealing data? There are a million programs I can stupidly download for my PC that will happily steal my data (malware). It's up to the user not to be an idiot, and bad reviews and legal action taken against those companies should be all the disincentive needed. Apple should make sure that customers have a person or company to hold accountable for the software, and should organize the store so people can find what they want and can enforce whatever parental controls they feel are appropriate. Nothing more. As much as I love Apple and the iPhone, it's as if they have learned nothing from their experiences of the original Macintosh. Jump out to a large lead in consumers, but restrictive policies restrict growth and acceptance, and someone else surpasses you.

• Pete
    Pete Posts: 92
    via Wordpress

We all know that apple is fucking stupid in this respect. Hard to believe, but apple's average user is even more stupid. And unlike non-mac users they get totally ideological about using fucking apple products, not realizing that what they're so incredibly proud of is having stupid money and a complete abscence of computer skills. Consequently, no matter which competition might come up, apple will always have this mass of dumb assholes to rely on.

• thebigredbutton
    thebigredbutton Posts: 7
    via Wordpress

Who are you to say such a thing about Apple users? Do you know them all? I think it's ridiculous how people act online, they expect everything to be completely open. Apple has to protect itself as well as protect it's user and the mobile platform is more vulnerable. I may not completely agree with how they are approaching their approval process but an all out disbanding of one would be stupid and insecure. Keep in mind they are the ones that store this information, not like the web where the domain holder is accountable for his/her content.

And for the record: I am NOT stupid, I have EXCELLENT computer skills, and I can get my point across without sounding like a juvenile.

• Josh
    Josh Posts: 265
    via Wordpress

Pete you are absolutely correct I cant agree more with you Apple are not half as good as they want us to believe I hope Droid gets it teeth in to Apple soon and as soon as the phones get faster processors and Droid runs smother I am switching and never

• Josh
    Josh Posts: 265
    via Wordpress

Is your idiotPhone JB?

• Dizi
    Dizi Posts: 21
    via Wordpress

Joe is full of ****. He quit the project because he's a lazy bastard who is tired of explaining why the app hasn't been steadily developed. Apple has never refused or delayed Facebook or its rare updates.

Personally I'm glad the project has been handed off. Maybe now we'll see some development.

• ZedSefi
    ZedSefi Posts: 130
    via Wordpress

Yeah. I am waiting impatiently for the new Facebook version that supports playing (streaming) Facebook videos uploaded by the users, on iPhone platform, not just uploading them. But, I guess we may never see this happening, damn it!

• Mark
    Mark Posts: 267
    via Wordpress

I concure Pete. Many apple users purchase macs because tey are aesthetically pleasing. That shouldn't be suprising, considering that aethetics are the foundation of consumerism. Should have bought an apple stock when it was low.

In reference to this article. I would like to know how much money this individual made from the app. Perhaps then I would pity him and support his cause.

Can anyone link the basic principles of the apple approval proccess?

• Henry Porter
    Henry Porter Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

Isn't it a pity Facebook don't have a bit more quality control for their stupid and pointless apps.

• markC
    markC Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
  • matt
    matt Posts: 283
    via Wordpress

Brilliantly well said! I experience this ideological superiority attitude all the time from Apple users. It is a downright common smugness, and these people always ignore all the things their Apples can't do.

I love the iPhone, but admit I have started tracking the competing products and when one offers great coverage and as good a screen with tons of apps, I'll jump ship. I imagine that day is less than a year away.

• matt
    matt Posts: 283
    via Wordpress

FYI, my insider knowledge can assure you that you are dead wrong! Dead wrong!