New AT&T Ad Educates Customers About Verizon's Misleading Ads

Andy
Andy Posts: 1,127
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageNew AT&T Ad Educates Customers About Verizon's Misleading Ads

Verizon's audacious marketing campaign will only get aggressive as we move towards the holiday season and lawsuits might not help AT&T in time to compete fairly against Verizon this season. Probably realizing just this, AT&T has launched a counter campaign to educate their customers about the misleading Verizon ad campaign....

Read the full story here

Comments

• Caanon
    Caanon Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Notice how they don't say "AT&T's own 3G coverage map". They can't make the claim that all those data areas are 3G, which means the map is a combination of 3G and EDGE speeds. You can get on AT&Ts data network in all the areas labeled in AT&Ts map, but you'll only be able to access AT&Ts 3G service in Verizon's map.

It seems rather like AT&T is the one misrepresenting itself.

• zulu
    zulu Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

I alreaady had 2nd thoughts about appple and att...with the droid out there's something else to choose from

• Gummy
    Gummy Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Seems you like twisting words when you have no idea what you are talking about.

• Jay
    Jay Posts: 295
    via Wordpress

Well cause i drive thru those places and it sucks not to have a good 3g speeds when im on the road.

• Caanon
    Caanon Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Wait, what? There are two data networks: EDGE and 3G. Verizon's map shows only 3G coverage. AT&T's map shows both. What are you getting at?

• Chris Wade
    Chris Wade Posts: 50
    via Wordpress

O.k., here's the deal:
    Verizon's maps show ONLY 3G Network (on both their map and on AT&T's map), this is done to show the 3G coverage, not the Edge coverage, which is a lot slower.

• Daniel
    Daniel Posts: 173
    via Wordpress

AT&T look like clowns. Verizon didn't misrepresent anything. The ad was about 3G coverage. AT&T has a pretty terrible network. What is worse than their lack of 3G coverage in rural areas is how bad their 3G coverage is in densely populated like NYC and San Francisco.

I live in NYC and AT&T is pretty unusable and battling it out for third place with T-Mobile. This is why I had to give up my beloved iphone for a Pre.

Basically what AT&T is saying here is that consumers are too stupid to understand what Verizon is saying and they may mistake 3G for *any* coverage. The truth is, if AT&T were in the same league, this wouldn't be up for discussion at all. Too bad AT&T.

• tonyphone3gs
    tonyphone3gs Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

what you people aren't getting is that ATT's edge coverage is still faster than Verizon's 3g!!!! Read the whole article please!

• nonoie
    nonoie Posts: 62
    via Wordpress

hey if you like Verizon go try their new phone.....

• TimW
    TimW Posts: 430
    via Wordpress

I'm so pleased I live on an insignificant lump of mostly wet rock (UK)
    With an official O2 unlock happening, I can pick & choose my carrier, and they all offer a 3G service :-)

• Polito
    Polito Posts: 5
    via Wordpress

what are you driving and using the internet? idiot

• raja
    raja Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

nice presentation.......

• John
    John Posts: 790
    via Wordpress

Good 3g speeds? I hope you don't mean verizon's .4mbps - 1.4mbps speeds (averaging 700kbps)? ATT's edge is about .4mbps - .7mbps. For those who don't seem to understand, verizon is comparing an old technology, which is still considered 3g but not all 3g is created equal. ATT's 3g is 3.6mbps - 7.2mbps; that's speed. Verizon doesn't have a 3g only map. Go to their website and see for yourself. All of their maps are combinations of more than one type of available network.

• John
    John Posts: 790
    via Wordpress

ATT's edge speeds (.4mbps - .7mbps) are very close to verizon's 3g speeds (.4mbps - 1.4mbps). On the other hand, ATT areas that does have 3g are at 3.6mbps (twice verizon's 3g speeds) and in some populated markets are 7.2mbps (4 times as fast as verizon's 3g). Verizon's slogan should be "5x the 3g coverage area, but 4 times slower."

• Tony Karakashian
    Tony Karakashian Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Where in NYC are you? I just spent a week down there and had no issues at all with my iPhone aside from GPS. I didn't have a single time where I didn't have phone or 3G available.

• rq
    rq Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Who's the idiot that hasn't heard of

Hands free kits
    Streaming Audio of too Many varieties to mention
    Skype over 3G unrestrictor
    …etc, etc.

As I listen to Windows Weekly STREAMED to my hands free kit thru the radio...

• jim
    jim Posts: 128
    via Wordpress

YOU R NUTS A PRE IN PLACE OF AN IPHONE THATS LIKES SPAM IN PLACE OF A PORTERHOUSE STEAK THE SPAM WILL FEED YOU BUT ITS STILL NOT A STEAK!!!! GOOD LUCK ON THAT I'VE HAD ALL THESE PHONES CAUSE I TEST THEM FOR COMPANIES IPHONES ALWAYS IS THE ALL AROUND WINNER

Ps: all caps cause i'm just that outraged :)

• jim
    jim Posts: 128
    via Wordpress

droid is very nice not even close to an iphone its just another mock up thats says its an iphone killer
    if the iphone was all that bad why is it that every cellphone company is trying to copy the iphone also every company including VERIZON is begging apple please build a phone for us please cause we suck we weren't even think about do all this blackberry storm and droid until after the iphone killed us in everything

• ben
    ben Posts: 235
    via Wordpress

well said booya I figin love my iPhone comand and concer is awsome along with my other 100 awsome apps

• Daniel
    via Wordpress

I roam mostly through the villages, soho and tribeca on the island of Manhattan. :)

The best is the horrible quality right on the side street (Greene) by the soho apple store. Its a place where my 3G/3Gs would always drop coverage and often not return. Its funny to see the apple store employees all frustrated on their smoke break ("hello? HELLO?").

Everyone I know in manhattan is at their wit's end with AT&T. We all love the phone, but AT&T cannot keep up with the demand. In my apartment (east village), I get quality throughput (600K or so) in the mornings, but once the evening hits and everyone is out at the local bars using their iphone, I cannot connect at all.

I certainly won't argue that the Pre is a higher quality device than the iphone. I tried the blackberry storm and returned it. The Pre did give me a good enough alternative that I could ditch AT&T/iPhone. Its no slouch. I'll have to admit though, now that I have solid, always-on IM built into the OS and multi tasking, I will think twice about returning to the iphone even if it is on another network. I'll probably be heading to android next if webos doesn't get more compelling. I experienced push when the 3GS came out, but it was very unreliable. AT&T may be to blame for this as well.

• Daniel
    via Wordpress

this is absolutely ridiculous. For starters you are talking theoretical speeds when comparing 3G. In actual real world qualitative comparisons, there, well, isn't a comparison. Neither AT&T 3G nor EDGE come close to EVDO on verizon.

If you are at all unbiased, this is pretty simple to see. There are many different things to look at besides theoretical speeds for the protocol such as bandwidth to the towers and spectrum.

Since AT&T is touting that they have 3G "where 75% of the population is," look at the results of testing in the places where most people live:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/167391/a_day_in_the_life_of_3g.html

• Sherm
    Sherm Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Everyone seems to be missing the point. The Verizon ads say nothing about speed, only coverage, and specifically 3G coverage. The basic point of the Verizon ad is that they have 5x as much 3G coverage. There's nothing about speed, type of 3G or availability of smartphones.