Apple and Orange To Sell iPhones in UK from Today; O2 will Allow Customers to Unlock their iPhones

Andy
Andy Posts: 1,127
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageApple and Orange To Sell iPhones in UK from Today; O2 will Allow Customers to Unlock their iPhones

After two years of exclusively owning the carrier rights in the UK, O2 finally made way for Orange to join them in the UK iPhone market today. This follows an agreement that was signed between Apple and Orange late September bringing an end to O2's exclusivity. O2 has had a...

Read the full story here

Comments

• TimW
    TimW Posts: 430
    via Wordpress

I just want my phone open to whatever network I decide to use in the area I'm in at the time
    As elsewhere in the world, we don't / won't get 100% coverage, and I live in a coastal area wher one beach gets O2, the next gets Orange and so on.
    Ultimately, I'd like the 3 network data sim on pay&go, speed is fastest in the uk, but coverage isn't great.
    Yes, I'll be unlocking but keeping O2 as my primary network

• bary tompston
    bary tompston Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

Yes, O2 coverage in general in Northern Ireland are very bad. I seem to get more dropped calls and fringe internet coverage than any other network.

• Pete
    Pete Posts: 92
    via Wordpress

I'm with O2 in Ireland. The coverage is dreadful outside Dublin. I can just about get voice, not to mention 3G. I cannot wait for another provider to move into the market

• Andre
    Andre Posts: 64
    via Wordpress

I'm an O2 customer and have been ever since they started, I've been with other providers, but there coverage wasn't as good as O2 and still isn't in my area, I will ask for my iPhone to be unlocked but will not move on, I will stay with them.

• karl
    karl Posts: 113
    via Wordpress

how do i unlock my iphone then once the contract is finished?

• TimW
    TimW Posts: 430
    via Wordpress

Unlock comes via a carrier update in iTunes.
    Have been told by 4 individual sources that the unlock is a OTP ( one time pass) with further attempts charged at £35 (pay&go)
    the unlock will adversly affect jailbroken iPhones so restore to factory settings before accepting the carrier update.
    Have also been told that 3 are issuing a payasyougo data plan 'for all Smart Phones' for £20 month' not sure what the call/SMS/mms bundle will be, but if it's like their mobile broadband sims, upto 3.6Mbs!!! On 3G!!!
    I still argue that 3 has amazing data speeds, drawback being their UK coverage isn't brilliant, but 100 times better than it was when launched.
    iPhone with front camera on 3 would wipe blackberry and palm out.
    Have seen the iPhone working on Orange (8gig, 3G & 16Gig 3Gs) and my O2 8g/3G connects quicker, by 4seconds minimum (non scientific test, sat in McD, all 3 jailbroken ) on WiFi, 3Gs won (only just lol)