Verizon Calling: Apple Rumored To Bring UMTS/CDMA Hybrid iPhone in 2010

Andy
Andy Posts: 1,127
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageVerizon Calling: Apple Rumored To Bring UMTS/CDMA Hybrid iPhone in 2010

Late last month, Ivan Seidenberg, the CEO of Verizon Communications had expressed interest in working with Apple and had said that it was up to Cupertino to move forward on that. Now, it looks like Apple has already taken the step forward. According to an unconfirmed report from OTR Global,...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Rocksteady & Bee-Bop
    via Wordpress

I hope the iPhone does go to Verizon... Not because I intend to switch (from ATT) but simply because they hyped the Droid being over the iPhone. But when they get their chance to sell it (iPhone), they will pretend that no such campaigned ever took place... Also, competition is a good thing... You hear that AT&T!

• Josh
    Josh Posts: 265
    via Wordpress

i dont know about you guys, but i would hate for the new iphone's screen to be smaller. Part of the reason why i like my iphone is that the screen is so big, bringing it down to a 2.8 " screen would hurt or kill the fun of using a lot of apps

• hxclos
    hxclos Posts: 353
    via Wordpress

That smaller screen rumor should just die already. It's not gonna happen EVER!! And anyone who thinks it will or wants one is an idiot! Oh yeah "let me just rotate my phone to use the slightly larger keyboard"... Or "I soo wanna watch a movie on my smaller screen"

• Ray
    Ray Posts: 121
    via Wordpress

The new screen will be smaller, but much better resolution.

This is just my opinion. For example:

Look at mobile phone evolution. It's always been about how much smaller it can get. The first mobile phones had similar handset size and button size to domestic landline phones from the 1950's.

Apple will push this, as they should. To the next, natural iPhone iteration. Smaller and smaller, but the benefit is higher resolution. Better screen, but smaller. The consumer will eat this up big time.

This is very **** Tracy.

Besides... If you really want a big screen then you'll just buy the cable to connect your iPhone to the HD device of your choice.

Nuf said.

• San
    San Posts: 10
    via Wordpress

To be honest, a smaller screen would be good aswell as the 3.5 screen some people would like to have a smaller screen at say a discounted price, I have been an iPhone user for a few years now and variety of screen size, network and a few colours like red blue green pink and purple

• Yex
    Yex Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

i dont really understand that UMTS/CDMA part. So what is it actualy do?

• John
    John Posts: 790
    via Wordpress

It's a network that verizon runs on, and how they compare their very slow 3g speeds to ATT's faster 3g speeds. They call it 3g, but it's much slower. It also means you can't swap a sim chip because there is none. Also, you cannot use data and voice at the same time. All 3rd generation cellular technology is NOT created equal...

• Vishnu
    Vishnu Posts: 199
    via Wordpress

I dont want iphone "cdma"
    that sucks ,u cant use other carrier
    currently i have att iphone 3gs 32gb.

• Vishnu
    Vishnu Posts: 199
    via Wordpress

In New York iPhone (ATT 3G) network is good i get about 1500 KB/S, It suck in some area.
    I think Att is improving.

• Skooter247
    Skooter247 Posts: 12
    via Wordpress

I think that taking the phone to verizon is a good move for apple, and a dangerous move for AT&T (altho I know it isnt their decision.)The broader the base, the more potentional customers you have. As far as the smaller screen size, I would personally not like a smaller screen. For my big hands the iPhone is already almost to small, but I do manage. My wife, however has tiny hands and she would prolly be ok with the smaller screen. ..

• hxclos
    via Wordpress

Cellphone technology is hardly about getting smaller "lenghtwise". It has always been about slimming down. I'm sure you remember the brick size cellphone of the 80's. I think Apple is headed to more of an iPhone Air as opposed to an iPhone Nano. Technology has never been about shrinking screens to improve resolution either. Just look at the 1080 resolution on TVs larger than 42". Smaller screen only get a 780 resolution.

• hxclos
    via Wordpress

I believe this chip will make it possible to use the iPhone on any network not limit you like the current model. You will still be able to have AT&T if you prefer it.

• Pacomac
    Pacomac Posts: 145
    via Wordpress

Shrinking the screen is jsut down right stupid, I'm a Pocket PC developer and in my eyes WM has gone nuts. WVGA screens of 800x480 crammed into a smaller form factor than the iPhone is crazy and unecessary, It just means the processor has to do more work to achieve the same thing. Plus if the screen shrinks then we need smaller fingers to operate the toucg screen! You wouldn't be able to get the same accuracy. Let this idea go, and give is Flash support, OLED screen and a faster processor anyday.

• Kray-Z
    Kray-Z Posts: 85
    via Wordpress

The dual chip, CDMA/3G is awesome. I'm tired of seeing the same phone made a different way for each company, Perfect example was the RAZR It two completely different phones for CDMA/3G. This makes it a lot easier to change carriers without having to re-buy the phone. Also it provides the same experience throughout platforms. It basically makes it the ultimate World Phone (is this the first of its kind? Ive never seen another phone with both CDMA and 3G)
    Regarding smaller screen. Absolutely not. I like the size of the current iPhone. I don't want it smaller, I might actually consider something bigger actually, but not too big as it wont fit in my pockets lol as I treat the iPhone as my laptop. Anything else I use my tower.

• Paulito
    Paulito Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

It's CDMA and GSM tech. the Blackberry Storm has it except it only picks up the edge network frequency but a phone with all frequencies would be the ultimate phone

• Brett
    Brett Posts: 104
    via Wordpress

so will the hybrid iphone be able to be used on AT&T?