How to Change Your Jailbroken iPhone's Root Password

Comments

• marc
    marc Posts: 103
    via Wordpress

i have installed mobile terminal and ssh is installed. i open it up and start the process with su, but when i get to type the password. the cursor doesnt move and nothing happens, if i hit return is says incorrect password.. any help would be greatful

• Smith
    Smith Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

reboot your iphone

• Kobe
    Kobe Posts: 5
    via Wordpress

I don't even know what SSH is, do I need to worry about this?? My 3GS is jail broken with cydia and a few games....SOME ARE SAYING YOU NEED TO WHILE OTHERS ARE SAYING YOU DON"T....WHATS THE FINAL VERDICT?

• Hui
    Hui Posts: 9
    via Wordpress

You don't have to, but you can if you want to.

• Hui
    via Wordpress

As far as I know, with the iPhone you currently possess, you don't have to do anything. ONLY people who installed something like "Mobile Terminal" or "Open SSH" must do this.

For NOW, you don't need to worry about anything and "may" regard this as conclusion (but there may be other things that I do not know of, confirm with others if you still doubt, but for me that's the answer). Or in case you install something like Mobile Terminal or other coming up command line apps in the future, you just need to remember to change the passwords (root and mobile). Otherwise, don't bother.

p.s. I JB and have SSH/Terminal installed, so I changed both passwords.

• Sully
    Sully Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

thanks for the help everyone

• jared2@earthlink.net
    via Wordpress

When I try to load Mobile Terminal, it stays open for only a second and then crashes. Does anyone know what other programs might be conflicting with it so I can uninstall them and do this?

Are there any other ways to do it?

• Hui
    via Wordpress

Install OpenSSH and under the same wi-fi network, SSH it from Terminal on a Mac.

• marc
    marc Posts: 103
    via Wordpress

i have rebooted the phone, but still get the same, the su works but the password will not let me enter any details..

• Eaglespro
    Eaglespro Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

i had to redo my phone from scratch to fix the terminal mode hope someone Else can give you a better answer just got it done including passwords

• adam
    adam Posts: 122
    via Wordpress

im new so don't make fun of me......but i recently jailbroke my 3gs with black rain for windows, and when i go to download the guitar theme from cydia it downloads the says reboot. so i press the reboot link at the bottom and it shuts down and restarts with the usb itunes icons and stays like that, then i plug it in and i have to restore my phone can someone please tell me what im doing wrong?

• lara
    lara Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

hey i need to change my root password but alpine doesnt work, please help. it says:

Laras-iphone:~mobile$

then i typed in su asked for the password i typed in alpine it says inccorect password.

• lara
    lara Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

oh nevermind! it worked. LOL I kept trying =]

• sunny
    sunny Posts: 23
    via Wordpress

lara i'm having a same problem, it doesn't take alpine password. su then i type alpine. but this **** keep telling me password is incorrect.. what did you exactly did to work it for you. i been keep trying but not working for me......

• Arron
    Arron Posts: 6
    via Wordpress

Can I delete the terminal app after I have successfully done this?

• Mangara
    Mangara Posts: 5
    via Wordpress

Marc, it is very Unix-ish to type a password and no characters appear in the prompt at all. This is for security purposes. Just type your password and hit Enter when finished.

• Mangara
    Mangara Posts: 5
    via Wordpress

Yes you can, but in the event you need to change it again, you'll have do download it again or access your iPhone via SSH.

The terminal app only gives you access to the core of your phone. If you get rid of the app you still have your bsd-based core intact but with no means to access it locally.

• Arron
    Arron Posts: 6
    via Wordpress

Thanks, I guess I can always re-download it if I need to.

• ammo3000
    ammo3000 Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

just jail-broke my iphone should i change the root and mobile password immediately and if so i've herd that the default passwords are "alpine" for the root and "ditto" for the mobile password. also when i change the password can i change it to anything i want? will this make my iphone very secure? thanx. P.S sorry about being a newbie to this.

• Capt
    Capt Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

today my iphone (jailbroken 3.0) is stucked, first I was not able to access it via WinScp with usual password (alpine), later on I tried to close(not hard reset) and now can not open again, it stucks with apple logo, hard reset does not work also connected with itunes but does not work too, itunes recognize
    my iphone, some time later apple logo comes back and the same story, please help, thx...

• me
    me Posts: 220
    via Wordpress

After you reboot plug unto your computer and run blackrain again for a few seconds...it will start like nothing happened. Ishappening on all iPhones made after Oct 09

• Kim
    Kim Posts: 29
    via Wordpress

Thanx - I followed the instructions for changing root password then followed yours for changing mobile password - anyone not used to Unix (and I'm one of them) should type 'exit' to get right back to the start of the session. (I think I'm right, but feel free to correct me).

• newjack
    newjack Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

how do i change the mobile password? i followed the instruction on changing the root password and did it succesfully.

• DaXx
    DaXx Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

do i need to do this if im never use the internet on my iphone, its basically disabled

thanks

• mx1941
    mx1941 Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Can someone help me on this one?
    I can't upgrade my system-cmds, which is also needed to install Mobile Terminal. When i open Cydia on my iphone it says that a upgrade is needed. I can choose upgrade essential, complete upgrade or ignore temporarily. When i choose to upgrade, both essential as well complete, i get errors trying to install a newer version of system-cmds. When it's running i get the following errors:

Error: running
    sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned
    an error code (1)

Then i can press okay en i get this message:

/var/cache/apt/archives/firmware-sbin_0-1_iphoneos-arm.deb
    sub-process pre-installation script returned error exit status 1

Does anybody know what is going on? What do i need to do to fix all this crap?
    Thanks

• ese
    ese Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I NEED HELP WITH THIS TOO :(

• Navihc@comcast.net
    via Wordpress

I got my ipad jailbroken. Do I also need to change the root password as with the iphone?

• cordovanian
    cordovanian Posts: 12
    via Wordpress

Mobile terminal not working with iOS4.

• Freddieboy
    Freddieboy Posts: 45
    via Wordpress

Correct opens and closes straight away

• Paul Compton
    Paul Compton Posts: 10
    via Wordpress

Is there any variation to the default passowrd? I have tried alphine, but it comes up with incorrect password from the start? Yet I have never changed it??