Verizon Prepared for the iPhone; Network Capable of Handling Extra Traffic

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageVerizon Prepared for the iPhone; Network Capable of Handling Extra Traffic

In an interview with BusinessWeek, Verizon Wireless' Chief Technology Officer, Anthony Melone said that his company is prepared for the iPhone. Melone said: "We have put things in place already. We are prepared to support that traffic." Does that mean iPhone will be coming to Verizon soon? We have heard...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Franky j
    Franky j Posts: 142
    via Wordpress

All his verizon iPhone crap. Verizon is crazy with there charges. I will neve go with them. But why isn't anyone saying sprint might get he iPhone. Don't sleep the sleeper. Do I hear iPhone 4g with sprint. Hmmmm!

• Franky j
    Franky j Posts: 142
    via Wordpress

OMG someone put edit on this site. What's wrong with me to many beers already.

• TEX
    TEX Posts: 7
    via Wordpress

Of Course they could handle it. AT&T could use another major network to take some of the traffic off of their system. Everyone should have the iphone available on their network without hacks. Then Apple could really see some profit and significantly less bashing.

• kDub
    kDub Posts: 48
    via Wordpress

i agree..somewhat.
    why aren't there talks about offering the iPhone to multiple carriers?
    is there some significant reason that Apple MUST have a contract with ONE carrier?

• Robert
    Robert Posts: 146
    via Wordpress

No reason that they HAVE to, but exclusivity has allowed Apple to convince a carrier to eat a significant portion of the iPhone's cost, so customer's can buy one at a reasonable price. They'd have a harder time selling it at $600. If they open it to multiple carriers they're going to need to sell it for a lower margin.

• JayeDee369
    JayeDee369 Posts: 30
    via Wordpress

Ugh, I'm so tired of hearing these supposed rumors. But I guess I should expect it since Apple and AT&T's contract is coming to an end. Honestly it wouldn't be a bad idea and since AT&T is talking about metered data plans, now would be a good time to have a network that might not do metered data plans and give iPhone users a break from all the threats and demeaning manner that we've had to endure for a few years now.

• Playafied
    Playafied Posts: 55
    via Wordpress

Saying that they will have the traffic and actually being able to handle it is two different things...

Apparently AT&T thought they could handle it when they upgraded the towers and looked what happened. The only way Verizon will know that they can handle it is when they actually get the iphone, which I seriously doubt.

I hope other carriers get the iphone tho... that way alot of people can get the hell off of AT&T's towers and make my iphone perfect (btw I have no problems with dropped calls and all these other problems on my phone here in Louisiana...)

• Distortedloop
    Distortedloop Posts: 64
    via Wordpress

Sorry but I don't see the logic of the argument that they need a single carrier to maintain higher margins. Apple's going to sell the device for whatever they want to maintain their margins. The carriers will discount it to whatever price gets the users to their network. We might even see LOWER end-user prices if there were actually some competition in the market for the iPhone.

Are there real-world examples of hugely popular, must-have cellphones that were exclusive on one network that had the end-user price go up once exclusivity was lost?

• ShaQ1nJ
    ShaQ1nJ Posts: 22
    via Wordpress

I agree. I never really understood the benefits of exclusivity versus the benefits of having multiple carriers. Which one is better in terms of future profits, present economy, etc etc.?

• Krew_92
    Krew_92 Posts: 30
    via Wordpress

Apple should just release unlocked iPhone's......

• Billy Corgan
    Billy Corgan Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Even if Apple sold their phone unlocked you still have the problems with network compatibility. AT&T offers GSM which allows the phone to sell in other countries since GSM is world wide, However CDMA is limited primarily to USA and Asia. So if Apple partners up with Verizon then they will have to engineer a phone to work for CDMA which hopefully will give a higher potential or more features not seen yet. We will see in June/July.