“AT&T is firing us as iPhone users”

Andy
Andy Posts: 1,127
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
image“AT&T is firing us as iPhone users”

Verizon created a huge controversy with their 'There's a map for that' ad campaign targeting AT&T's poor 3G coverage. Ask Penny and John Alexander from Dadeville, Alabama about it and they would be quick to retort that the ads are indeed misleading - because it is not just the 3G...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Distortedloop
    Distortedloop Posts: 64
    via Wordpress

AT&T is perfectly right to do this. The couple should have read the fine print before the purchase.

On the other hand, now that they'll have an iPhone that's not only off-contract with AT&T, but not even allowed to be used with AT&T anymore, I would love to see them seek legal action with AT&T and/or Apple to force Apple to unlock thier phone so they can take it to a provider that wants their business. Could open the door for a lot of people who want non-AT&T iPhones.

• Scott
    Scott Posts: 164
    via Wordpress

Unfortunately for the Alexanders, I don't blame AT&T. Yes, AT&T could have denied them a phone initially but it's hard to tell how well an area is covered sometimes. And since they had the ability to rectify the situation at any point in the future, I think AT&T did the right thing in selling them their phones. They would have been vilified if they had told the Alexanders that "there's a 0.01% chance that you are outside our coverage area so we're going to deny your sale...sorry!". Besided, there location of residence may have nothing to do with where the phone ends up.Maybe they were buying for another person (maybe that's not possible though, I don't know).

• Casey
    Casey Posts: 24
    via Wordpress

AT&T won't let me out of my contract because their "Coverage Map" shows me in a "well covered area" Even though I get crappy reception and dropped data, and phone calls all the time.

AT&T just wants their money, when a customer starts to cost them more then it's worth they give them the boot. I doubt the AT&T person even took into account their address and really compared it to the service map. All they see is the $$

• koolfire007@hotmail.com
    via Wordpress

hmmm So I think Droid needs a new commercial bringing all this to light. John and Penny could be on there as real life examples.

• Scott
    Scott Posts: 164
    via Wordpress

I know that ALL cell companies do this as I have had friends dropped from both Verizon and Tmobile for the same reason.

• NateDawg
    NateDawg Posts: 42
    via Wordpress

I think you just live by data-hogs Casey, you have coverage but it is over consumed as other articles pointed out.

• Twitteling
    Twitteling Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

hmmm... i think this is bad news

• Patrick
    Patrick Posts: 124
    via Wordpress

Hmm. I guess AT&T could do that, but on the plus side, they have iPhones that are out of contract with AT&T... so they can just unlock them and use them with other providers.

• John
    John Posts: 790
    via Wordpress

I'm sure T-Mobile will be happy to welcome them as customers! Perhaps this the AT&T suckwork's real investment in "network capacity" - dropping customers! Less customers = more capacity! yeah! mba is paying off!

• bart
    bart Posts: 13
    via Wordpress

The couple should just accept the early termination and get one of those smartsims. These are very thin pieces of electronic which you put on top of yor SIM card, then insert it back in your phone. Voilà, the phone can now used on any carrier. DealExtreme and other places sell these tiny devices.

• Max
    Max Posts: 62
    via Wordpress

In Germany a carrier wishing to terminate a customer's contract usually offers him something in exchange, such as a credit note. Unlocking the iPhone in order to let the Alexanders free to use it with whichever carrier they choose could be a good deal.
    However as a matter of principle I don't understand why customer cannot (early) terminate a contract, and a carrier is. This "free market rules itself" s..t has produced a company-oriented society. Not good.

• Max
    Max Posts: 62
    via Wordpress

Errata corrige: "However as a matter of principle I don't understand why customer cannot (early) terminate a contract, and a carrier can".

• delco
    delco Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

Hey I think they threw down a post card right next to that couples house on TV the other night lol. After all what they cover what was it like 98% of the US

• Chris Wade
    Chris Wade Posts: 50
    via Wordpress

I don't think AT&T should have sold them a phone in the first place. It isn't that difficult to tell how well covered any address is, T-Mobile can do it down to an exact address, why can't AT&T? This also points out AT&T's cell phone coverage is not as good as it's competitors' (after all, their competitors provide coverage at their house). AT&T needs to own up and fix their network in those areas, not put it on the customers to fix it.

• Steve F
    Steve F Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

Same thing happened to my daughter before the iPhone came out. She moved from Davis, CA to Illinois to attend EIU for her masters. AT&T soon dumped her. She had 2 weeks to find another carrier. There was no locked phone involved so she signed up with T-Mobile. She is now working on her PHd in Texas and is still with T-Mobile. Point is T-Mobile got her loyalty with service.
    I am just south of Silicon Valley and my iPhone works great but I am keeping my eye on Android phones as a possibility in the future.

• Robert Bailey
    Robert Bailey Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

Well Casey that is easy keep calling them that will cost them money. Keep complaining about the horrible service.

• Dee Dee
    Dee Dee Posts: 6
    via Wordpress

tell the Johnsons to call me, Ill jailbreak their phone and unlock it. Easy as pie, anyone can do it now.
    An Iphone is almost useless unless jailbroken.......

Now an jailbrken Iphone is like a liniature laptop. UNleash the potential folks.
    blackra1n.com

problem solved.....

• Christian
    Christian Posts: 102
    via Wordpress

I love my iPhone, but seriously, if ATT did this to me, I would have no problem moving to an android phone. Apple really needs to become network agnostic.