Is Blaming Apple's iPhone for AT&T's Network Woes Justified?

Andy
Andy Posts: 1,127
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageIs Blaming Apple's iPhone for AT&T's Network Woes Justified?

Earlier this week, we had written about New York Times journalist Randall Stross' article that blamed iPhone's 'air interface' as the reason behind the network woes AT&T subscribers have been facing. Randall's article concluded that though AT&T is getting congested, things are worse than what it should be because of...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Scott
    Scott Posts: 164
    via Wordpress

I know that until i had an iphone, i had never experienced any more than occasional dropped calls. With my iphone my phone dropped nearly 40% of my calls. Maybe it's just coincidence, but i really don't think so.

• Jordan
    Jordan Posts: 163
    via Wordpress

So...don't sign up any more customers until you have the infrastructure to support it
    They keep running these deals to get more people on their network yet they claim they can't handle the traffic

• hxclos
    hxclos Posts: 353
    via Wordpress

I have noticed the network getting slower. Not only that but I'll sometimes get e-mails and text messages saying that I'm using "Excessive Domestic Off-Network Data" when it starts loosing signal even under 3G. I have roaming off and I haven't noticed any extra fees so I haven't bothered calling AT&T.

• Slimbu
    Slimbu Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

i strongly support what gruber has argued on... the point that randall has put forth his truly biased and its tryin to defend att or might probably tryin to defend for droid... coz becoz of the ongoin war between droid and iphone....
    i'm also a 32 gb 3gs iphone user....(unlocked) and have never faced such drop calls or such problems so far....
    ... ..
    and iphone is not the only phone att is distributing ,
    it can be that.... because of the excessive use of data by iphone the att network may be congested .... but that because of iphone's air interference...... att is having such problem... coz iphone is not alone using data .. and i dont think iphone users are the only one to complain about so....
    so randall has put forth his sensless idea......
    randall just do some research before u conclude any thing....

• mike
    mike Posts: 489
    via Wordpress

AT&T has signed on millions of new phones since the iPhone was released 5 years ago. Why have they not upgraded there network.

I can hardly wait for the iPHone to move to Verizon.

• Bighud9729
    Bighud9729 Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

Look the grass is always greener on the other side!! Verizon has many issues, my verizon blackberry drops calls and also text and mms messages can take hours to be delivered to others. The iphone on verizons network would be pitiful as verizon cannot handle voice and data streams simultaniously. Also verizon throttles the data connection and caps them at the towers to compensate for a slower network. I can live with a few flaws on a great phone.

• Krew_92
    Krew_92 Posts: 30
    via Wordpress

iPhone wont go to Verizon...

• WhoCares?
    WhoCares? Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

"And as Gruber has mentioned, knowing Apple, we find it difficult to believe that Apple hasn't fixed the issue in newer iPhone models (i.e. iPhone 3G or iPhone 3GS). "

Is this the same Apple that took 3 OS releases to add copy/paste? The same Apple that regularly refuses to acknowledge problems with its products? I don't know who is right in this case (probably a bit of both, like most things - Apple's version, AT&T's version, or the Truth, which will be somewhere in between) but I don't find it beyond belief that Apple could leave a problem in place.

• Jerry G
    Jerry G Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

This appears to be all speculation right now. Perhaps ATT and/or Apple can address it, if it really is an issue.

BTW... I really enjoy this website but the new Pop-up in your face ad is a bad call period.

• John
    John Posts: 790
    via Wordpress

Yeah, why the need for the pop-up? I would have thought all the money AT&T must be paying to sponsor this website for the silly, biased constantly "pro-AT&T" excuses - I mean, opinions, would not have required the popups...

• jack
    jack Posts: 149
    via Wordpress

am in a different country with the same problem and as I see people in Canada, Australia, UK etc have similar issues... so it is not ATT. More interestingly my wife has iphone too but it works perfectly in the same location whereas mine shows no connection. BTW, any other phones work well too in the same area.