iTunes Bug: Users Notified of iPhone App Updates Even After Updates Are Downloaded

Andy
Andy Posts: 1,127
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageiTunes Bug: Users Notified of iPhone App Updates Even After Updates Are Downloaded

We had been noticing this lately ourselves and folks at TheiPhoneBlog have now confirmed it. There appears to be a bug with iTunes that causes iPhone apps to show that they have new updates available even if none exists. You can view the bug if you log into the App...

Read the full story here

Comments

• KaneHau
    KaneHau Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I've noticed this on a number of apps, including SIMS 3. There is another possible reason for this... that is, if the developer forgot to increment the version number in the Info.plist file, it would not look like a new version to your iTunes account on your local server.

Another possibility would be that when an app is uploaded to iTunes Connect, you specify to iTunes Connect the version number. If this does not match what you have in the Info.plist - that also might explain why iTunes would think something is different.

• Michael W.
    Michael W. Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Yup I've been noticing this a lot lately. Hopefully Apple will issue something soon, it's getting incredibly annoying.

• Swiftman
    Swiftman Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Same problem here.

• Larry M.
    Larry M. Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I have noticed this alot lately. I think that it's due to the updates not propagating. When this happens, you can check the version of the "updated" app. It will most likely be the same version you had installed previously and not the new version that iTunes states is available.

• nsfw
    nsfw Posts: 35
    via Wordpress

Phew. I thought it was my jailbroken phone.
    I see the opposite of you larry. My apps are updated, but it still says that i have an update available for download. This is phone only.

• mikegudz
    mikegudz Posts: 8
    via Wordpress

i thought the same thing about my jb phone. i was freaking out and it was pissing me off..lol

• Wolverinemarky
    Wolverinemarky Posts: 518
    via Wordpress

this bug has been around for a couple months at least i noticed it, its annoying hopefully it gets fixed soon

• Mercuryshadow
    Mercuryshadow Posts: 5
    via Wordpress

This has been happening with iSSH for me.

• Josh
    Josh Posts: 265
    via Wordpress

Same thing with me lol

• Warren
    Warren Posts: 12
    via Wordpress

I have had this for the past few weeks, with basically any app update being downloaded, installed and the new version available, yet the App lists it as still available for an update. The revised ones seem to expire if a further newer app is listed or after the next day or some period then they no longer show up.

• Scott
    Scott Posts: 164
    via Wordpress

This isn't news, I posted a youtube video showing this problem a long time ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxNtY_28eCg

• Michael
    Michael Posts: 316
    via Wordpress

I was just now having this problem with a horoscope app and I am T-Pain app..then i read this...I tried downloading it with my iphone and then with itunes..I tried rebooting my iphone and my pc nothing worked...yah its kinda annoying...

• Eduardo
    Eduardo Posts: 21
    via Wordpress

Hi folks!
    I got the same issue down here in São Paulo, BR. This sounds a bug really and is around my Imac for months.

• ckong
    ckong Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

This has been happening for over a month for me. It's been posted on Apple's own forums on several threads. It's fairly obvious that when Apple redesigned their iTunes servers, they broke something. Shame on them for not even fessing up on it.

One big problem is that if I sync my iPhone with a faulty updated App, that App will no longer sync to the phone. Only deleting it from the phone, then adding it back resolves the issue (for me anyway).

So...I don't sync my iPhone if there are any updates pending. Sync only after. Downloading updates with iTunes is best in the morning (or after 24 hours) as the Apple databases seem to be good by then.

• eltotho@hotmail.com
    via Wordpress

I noticed it in Private Pics only. On the iphone, the funny thing is that iTunes is not showing it in my desktop.

• P S B
    P S B Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

I've noticed the same as well - but think it would have been more of a server issue cuz when that happened i tried updating second time directly from the app store on the iphone but then even after doing an update all it came back saying updates available!

• N. the A.
    N. the A. Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

I got the mail: 'Your application is Ready for Sale', and the binary served is not what I uploaded

• ChrisK
    ChrisK Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

I usually check for updates a couple of times a day, and I have noticed that if I have updates available it will prompt me to install them again the next time I check the app store. It has happened up to three times for particular apps, though usually I have to upload them only twice. This problem is new, having started only about a week ago. Restarts have not stopped the problem and, while a bit annoying, doesn't seem to affect things much.

• David G
    David G Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

It may be a combination of apps not propogating but also of notice of the apps being released before the app itself is updated on the store. I often notice that if I see an update and then visit the store proper and search for the app, the old version is still listed despite the update alert. Once the store shows the updated version, the update process usually succeeds and I'm no longer prompted.

• kratos
    kratos Posts: 10
    via Wordpress

i have the same problem,very annoying

• berny
    berny Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

i live in vacnouver, canada and i thought it was just me! my iphone (not jb) keeps saying i have available updates and everytime i download them, it prompts me that another update is available!

• majorbb100
    majorbb100 Posts: 12
    via Wordpress

its been happening to me to, with almost every app.

• John E
    John E Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

its been happening to me since almost 2 months. It eventually stops telling me to update the app.

For me this is not as bad as the iTunes 9 problem on a Windows 7 64bit PC. Will that ever get fixed?

• Steve
    Steve Posts: 326
    via Wordpress

it has a problem...get this very often in past month or so...a real pain