Defects In iPhone to Blame for AT&T Network Woes?

Andy
Andy Posts: 1,127
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageDefects In iPhone to Blame for AT&T Network Woes?

There are two kinds of iPhone users - Those who think they have the best handset on the worst network and the others who think that a good carrier like AT&T has had to suffer simply because the users of the best smartphone have all been using up its bandwidth....

Read the full story here

Comments

• Stan
    Stan Posts: 192
    via Wordpress

I live in Philadelphia. I have had iPhones since day 1. While it's not NYC, it is still a large metropolitan area. I have no problem with the ATT network (i.e. signal strength, 3g speeds, etc) anywhere in the Center City (downtown) area. The signal at my house (Phila suburbs) is marginal at best. Both of these conditions are very consistent. This is definitely a tower issue at my home. It would seem that if the iPhone hardware were the problem, I'd have issues in both areas.
    If the tests described in the article were done with an iPhone this could point to the hardware as an issue.

• NateDawg
    NateDawg Posts: 42
    via Wordpress

I don't want to be the guy that believes everything he reads, especially on line, but this kind of stuck. It's a reasonable explanation for the problem and why AT&T is keeping quiet. They should really specify, because bandwidth hogs aren't getting off the hook that easily.

• Larry
    Larry Posts: 54
    via Wordpress

This is total bs. The design of the phone? Really? Come on man!

• Asdf
    Asdf Posts: 37
    via Wordpress

This reasoning is BS.

• J
    J Posts: 131
    via Wordpress

"...a flawed design of iPhone's 'air interface' which connects the phone to the cell towers is responsible for the poor voice and data transmission from the iPhone."

Are you kidding me?! I have had AT&T (Cingular before that) for going on 8 years now and I can honestly say the iPhone is (hands down) the BEST phone I have ever had on AT&T's network. I have had better call quality and data streaming on my iPhone 3G than on any other phone I have had with them.

I like how he seems to forget to go into even the littlest bit of detail about this supposed 'flawed design' so that his readers might be enlightened.

I call shenanigans...

• Scott
    Scott Posts: 164
    via Wordpress

I almost never had drop calls until i got an iphone, so i think it is certainly reasonable. While I enjoy the experience of using my iphone, it easily gets the worst reception of any of the last several phones i've owned

• Alan tu
    Alan tu Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Hmmm that's interesting because I don't read very often about UK carriers being rated worst in the country or their iPhone users complaining about their terrible experience. I mostly see UK iPhone users rubbing it in our faces that they have full featured perfectly working iPhones. Ones that hold 5 bars, had MMS way before us, and have tethering. This article has a point but an invalid one. Unless AT&T iPhones are made differently than that of the rest of the world (except china) this doesn't seem like a hardware issue.

• at&tHaTer
    at&tHaTer Posts: 21
    via Wordpress

I wouldnt doubt this to some extent. At a friends house where I normally get around 1-2 bars or nothing he will get 2-3 bars steadily on his blackberry with at$t.

• Darron
    Darron Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

I can see AT&T being reluctant to complain about a flaw in the iPhone publicly, but I'm also sure that any such flaw would have been a big part of AT&T/Apple talks prior to the release of the 3GS.

This seems like a bogus theory to me.

• sentanica
    sentanica Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

wow, i frankly have no clue y there are NS explaning about the flaw of the iphone stuff. frankly, i am on singtel, i am on singtel for the past 12 years. after getting the iphone, i have full baqrs everywhere i go, even underground, no drop calls, etc etc. i had never ever got a drop calls at all except for skype.

• hxclos
    hxclos Posts: 353
    via Wordpress

So are these issues affecting other carriers around the world? I hear Canadians always poking fun about how their service works flawless.

One thing I've noticed about my iPhone is that when I have it in my pocket, my signal will sometimes drop from a strong 3G signal to Edge or worse, no signal at all. I don't know if this is typical or due to jailbreak but I did notice the signal strength was way worse when I installed the tethering hacks. I have to constantly respring my phone.

• R3drum
    R3drum Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I believe it. I get full service in most places, but some placed, ie my house, I have to switch to my Nokia to get signal. AT&T shouldn't be blame free either. Their service has gotten choppier since iPhone came out, even on my nokia.

• Zackari
    Zackari Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

The iPhone on att's network has got to be
    the worst experience u have ever had I can't
    or recieve calls half the time and I'm on my
    second one already in two months first one
    crashed due to software issues apple could
    not fix both AT&T and apple suck ...... Badly!!

• Xirvin
    Xirvin Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I can confirm there is at least a software issue with iphone 3gs 32 GB firmware 3.0 when RAM memory is below 100 mb, gsm signal processing is so slow it may reduce signal strength or display no signal when there is signal. The event can be triggered if 5 pages are loaded in safari, and mail and ipod app are opened. Basically closing all safari pages or other programs will fix the error, or a respring restart.

I have not upgrade yet and cant comment on other firmwares.