Fix for Cydia Crashing Problem

Andy
Andy Posts: 1,127
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageFix for Cydia Crashing Problem

A simple Mac-Roman encoded character in one of the packages file distributed via Cydia yesterday (December 28) caused a persistent crashing problem. The problem was with macciti/zodttd's source though the actual reason for the crash is believed to be Cydia's problem with decoding the characters. A message posted on the...

Read the full story here

Comments

• alanisko@me.com
    alanisko@me.com Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Nice! It works. Thanx

• Gerbil Slayer
    Gerbil Slayer Posts: 8
    via Wordpress

I had the problem yesterday too. I assumed I accidently deleted important files or somthing. If only I had waited 1 day. :( I decided not to update with SSH and restore my phone instead. At least now all my old, unused packages are cleaned out properly. I have the 3G so every little bit helps.

• gunendar
    gunendar Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Guys it works.. thanks .. i deleted 2 similar files.

• Jon Nutt
    Jon Nutt Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

I fixed it on my own, thought I would have to restore but remembered the package clearup trick.

J.

• Trip
    Trip Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

Hello everyone, I have the same problem :(. I do have mobile terminal but everytime I type /var/lib/apt/lists/. I get no such files found? Am I doing something wrong? Thank you

• steven
    steven Posts: 113
    via Wordpress

Hi all,

My iPhone is jailbroken with blackra1n, when i try to use diskaid I cant access the root folder, apparantly this is a known fault with blackra1n jailbreaks. The fix is to install afc2 service through cydia :-(

Is there any other way of getting afc2 onto the iphone except cydia? My Cydia is bust so I need to acess the root of my iphone to fix it… but i cant because i havent got afc2! I havent got SSH either... I think I may be screwed :-(
    Any help much appreciated

• Jon Nutt
    via Wordpress

Try prefixing the /var/lib/apt/lists with cd to get

cd /var/lib/apt/lists

or cd\ then cd /var/lib/apt/lists

I used WinSCP to do it via a GUI file manager however needs some config, do a google and you shall find!

• Jon Nutt
    via Wordpress

Hi, try WinSCP if on a windows box and try that, if that fails I fear you may need to restore and re-jailbreak unless someone knows better...

J.

• steven
    steven Posts: 113
    via Wordpress

Hi,
    Thanks for your quick response.. I couldnt get WinSCP to work but I managed to install afc2 via Rock (via blackra1n) and all is sorted now :-)
    Cheers again for the advice, much appreciated.

• easy
    easy Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

worked like a charm. i was wondering why my **** was crashing everytime i opened it. good thing i didnt restore!

so easy... all you need to do is...

1. open mobile terminal
    2. cd /var/lib/apt/lists/
    3. dir (because mine didnt have the -1 in the file name)
    4. rm cydia.zodttd.com_repo_cydia_dists_stable_main_binary-iphoneos-arm_Packages

done!

that was easy!

• iphone newbie
    iphone newbie Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

Easy,

It wasn't so easy for me. I did exactly like you said (thank you!) and Mobile Terminal asked me if i'm sure I want to delete write-protected regular file 'cydia.zodttd....?' I then input 'y'. Then it said 'permission denied'

Please help! Thanks in advance.

• Sean
    Sean Posts: 138
    via Wordpress

Permission denied, any solution?

• Tinus
    Tinus Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Worked like a charm! thanks!

If you get permission denied in terminal, first type su at the prompt. Then provide your root password. (hopefully not still alpine, otherwise change it)
    Then follow the instructions.

• iphone newbie
    iphone newbie Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

Sean,

Yes, do what Tinus said below. After getting the permission denied message, type su. (press return) type your password (alpine or any other password). then quick swipe with your finger up several times and you should be able to see the long typing that you just typed earlier 'cydia.zodttd...' then press return
    and it should work (no error messages). get out and boot up cydia. works great for me ... finally!!!
    Just one newbie trying to help another (sean)

• Johanna
    Johanna Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Thanks a lot, this was exactly what I was looking for. In just less than 5 minutes my cydia problem was solved using diskaid. Really great!!!

• Sean
    Sean Posts: 138
    via Wordpress

Thank man, and appreciated, i am done.

• Daniel Araneda
    Daniel Araneda Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

Deleting this file cydia.zodttd-1.com_repo_cydia_dists_stable_main_binary-iphoneos-arm_Packages.
    did the trick

su root
    cd /var/lib/apt/lists/
    rm cydia.zodt*
    reboot

• emily
    emily Posts: 12
    via Wordpress

Hey
    So i downloaded diskaid but when i connect my phone the only folder i can see is "start here".
    Am i doing this right?
    Thanks!

• Jimmy
    Jimmy Posts: 80
    via Wordpress

My cydia was crash,i forgot my terminal pass word,i don't know hot to down load those software to my iphone and step by step guide.

Thanks
    Jimmy

• Jimmy
    Jimmy Posts: 80
    via Wordpress

I just download diskaid and following the instruction to delete the file and it can start cydia again.

Thanks for the instruction.

• Cindy
    Cindy Posts: 25
    via Wordpress

i did the diskaid and did not work for me ????

• RudeBwoi
    RudeBwoi Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

If I could suggest somthing, for those that JailBroke with BLACKRA1N.. try installing ROCK.. which will tell you all the issues with Cydia(not completely installed sources) let rock update cydia an then try restarting cydia again.. worked like a charm for me twice.. so that is
    1. install rock.
    2. let rock upgrade and create a rock id.
    3. let rock upgrade or reinstall cydia
    4. boom.. cydia works again..

• kieboon@yahoo.com
    via Wordpress

my blackra1n is deleted as per stated in blackra1n installation guide. wonder how can i re-install back the ROCK? (Since i didnt install ROCK earlier).

I did the Rock installation already but it wont create rock icon into iphone as well.

really need help.

• aubrey
    aubrey Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

When I click on Root Folder in Diskaid it says iPhone must be jailbroken to view this, but my phone is Jailbroken and it wont let me view it

• bruno
    bruno Posts: 19
    via Wordpress

You need to change to "root folder"

• Mannan
    Mannan Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
    Can any one help me step by step how to fix cydia crash on my iphone 4 iOS 4.0.2 with mobile terminal ..email: mannan.kg@gmail.comThanks
  • rohan
    rohan Posts: 6
    via Wordpress
    hey i donhv ne of d abov softwes my cydia is crashing....plzzzzz help me ..i dn hv ssh or mobile terminal
  • akibkhan
    akibkhan Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    hi. when i installed any apps from cydia.it run and after few second it automatically crashand i redirect to main menu.pls. tell me what is the problem and how can i solve it.i m new to iphone.pls. help!!!!!!!
  • Michael
    Michael Posts: 316
    via Wordpress
    Hey guys, i have installed a jailbroken ios 5.1 on my wifi 3g ipad 1g , the thing is that i can see cydia icon , but when i click on it, it wont open, plus , as a jailbroken device it should accept my previous downloaded cracked apps, but when syncing with itunes , i get the error message that this app bla bla cannot be installed , i guess the reason is that cydia isnt running.i have restored my ipad over 30 times now, with all different softwares , and i still have the same error, and when i use the redsn0w to justboot , i get and error cannot load or something like that, please download the latest version of redsn0w which i already have =(.can you guys get me a way to fix this ? i cant get it to work, and im fed up already.i dont have the ifile installed on my ipad or any other software likke that cu cydia is not running. please please please help ... THANKS