Facebook App Version 3.1 Released - Introduces Push Notification And Contact Syncing

Andy
Andy Posts: 1,127
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageFacebook App Version 3.1 Released - Introduces Push Notification And Contact Syncing

One of the most popular free iPhone applications on the App Store just got a face-lift. Facebook iPhone app version 3.1 is now available on the App Store for download and it has introduced a feature that users had been demanding for a long time - Push Notifications. The push...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Josh
    Josh Posts: 265
    via Wordpress

pretty nice. I hope there's an option to sync only the pictures of the contacts currently in your phone because I don't want to all of a sudden have a million contacts--many of whom I barely know and will never talk to (this facebook friending has gotten out of control!)

• 1hihum
    1hihum Posts: 15
    via Wordpress

I have been reading about people having issues withthw contact sync feature. People who have a contact in their phone with the same name as another person in their FB app are getting the wrong pick/info on their phones. In addition, what do you dk if you don't like or want the FB pic on your contact list? It's a nice feature, but I think it should be a user controllable one. Adding push is nice plus. I wish they would have added a feature to turn off game updates though. I'm ready to drop a few friends who seem to have nothing better to do than go on Mafia war/farmville benders. I would love to see them upgrade the bland look of the UI too.

• Pyroskee
    Pyroskee Posts: 9
    via Wordpress

Yeah, i have the same problem... every time I try and sync my contacts I'll get the wrong profile url and wrong pic. To be honest I don't know where the hell those contact pics are coming from. Needs another update!

• Money Over Bitches
    Money Over Bitches Posts: 17
    via Wordpress

about god damn time.

• Pennywaltz
    Pennywaltz Posts: 6
    via Wordpress

Check out myphone+ there are a bunch of apps out there that download your contacts info from facebook. (i.e sync pics, download bday, employment etc.)

• Amos
    Amos Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

I'm guessing you can block the application updates on the phone by blocking them in your news feed on the web site. A "Hide" button appears on the top right of every post. Clicking that on a game update will offer you the option of blocking updates from that application.

• p to the izzle
    p to the izzle Posts: 14
    via Wordpress

Syncing contacts gets me the correct profile with the correct contact however not one single contact had their Facebook photo added to my iPhone contacts. Not even one. Bummer. Push is really no big deal because FB already emails when there is something new and I get my gmail pushed. So now I get two notifications. Kind of overkill. The only time it helps is when FB decides to delay sending out the notification email.

• Karan
    Karan Posts: 10
    via Wordpress

Anyone having problems with the push notifications? It worked initially, but the update to 3.1.1 seems to have broken it. I deleted and re-installed but still not working. Also checked all the notification settings.

• Jon
    Jon Posts: 116
    via Wordpress

Syncing is horribly implemented. There's no feature to manually select which contacts/friends you would like synced. The app itself automatically chooses which facebook user, not friend, is synced to each contact in your iPhone contact list. The reason I say "facebook user" and not "facebook friend" is because it will sync random facebook users to iPhone contacts with the same name; even if you aren't friends with said random facebook user. Sometimes, there doesn't even need to be common name! It synced a phone contact I have listed as "Susie Accident in Alhambra" to someone on Facebook named "Ehl. Edizon" from some Spanish speaking country who I've never met, I'm not even facebook friends withm and don't even have any mutual friends with! wtheck?! There are a quite a few other fb profiles and pictures who I'm not even friends with who somehow were synced to other contacts in my phone as well. Apparently when they state up top that "Version 3.1.1 fixes bugs in in address book syncing", that means nothing! Whoever wrote the sync feature seriously needs to fix this issue or at least add a manual sync feature similar to that in MyPhone+.

• Nelson Moreira
    Nelson Moreira Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

I have something else to add! The push notifications feature is somewhat confused on my iphone. I'm getting notifications from thai people i don't even know and the best one I got today, a notification totally written in Arabic! =) Anyone got a clue what's wrong?

• Kelli
    Kelli Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

I'm also having issues with the push notification. I'm not being notified of anything on Facebook and I have notifications turned on.

• iPhone user
    iPhone user Posts: 17
    via Wordpress

yeah, when a friend of mine called me this morning it had a picture of the devil on the top! Funny thing is, he was born-again a very long time ago and is very Christian now. The URL led me to a kid in South America, who was definitely not Dave Mustaine.