Next Generation iPhone Could Come With Multi-Core Mobile Processor

Andy
Andy Posts: 1,127
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageNext Generation iPhone Could Come With Multi-Core Mobile Processor

Leading microprocessor manufacturer ARM Holdings have unveiled their next generation of mobile processor. The new Cortex A9 multi-core mobile processor is built on top of the popular ARM MPCore technology and is said to provide unprecedented levels of peak performance. This news is significant for the fact that Apple is...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Xattica
    Xattica Posts: 16
    via Wordpress

Thats Sick!!! If that true, this time I will do the Iphone 4G waiting list.

• Pyroskee
    Pyroskee Posts: 9
    via Wordpress

Yes! If this does become a reality, you can count on me waiting in line for one, maybe two!!

• Franky j
    Franky j Posts: 142
    via Wordpress

The iPhone is going down for nobody, they have the money to pay the best of the best to make the best, So when the iphone comes out in July be sure to be blown away. Apple paved the wave for all those copy cats. Soon they all will have there jaw on the ground.

• Z
    Z Posts: 333
    via Wordpress

OMG the 3gs is coming with multicore??? wait... thats not right. its out already.... but there were so many people saying the 3gs would be multicore... im confused now so the 3gs was supposed to be multicore, now this is supposed to be.... who believes it?

• Z
    Z Posts: 333
    via Wordpress

tho 500MHz with no graphics accelerator is freaking amazing.... yea if it does come with this i'd shell out $500 for a new iphone again.

• jack
    jack Posts: 149
    via Wordpress

As far as I know, the Nexus One does NOT use the ARM Cortex A8 processor. It uses an application processor called Scorpion which is NOT the ARM Cortex A8 but the Scorpion is similar to the A8 though. However, if I am waaay off on this point, please do correct me, of course.

• jack
    via Wordpress

Oh sorry, just for further clarification, the Scorpion is part of the Snapdragon platform or chipset.

• jack
    via Wordpress

From what I can gather from the web, the currrent 3GS processor is a SoC (system on a chip) reportedly manufactured or put together by Samsung whereby this SoC in turn houses an ARM Cortex A8 CPU (for app processing) with a separate PowerVR SGX GPU (for graphics). The article here is talking about the next gen CPU Apply may be using for the Iphone 4G which is the Cortex A9. So there you go.

• Serban
    Serban Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

ok. let me see if i got it right: 2GHz Processor in a friggin mobile phone ? And multi-core too ? Wow. That is sick.

But still, i hope you realize that there is no way the battery will last longer than the current generation. Battery Lithium technology hasn't developed so much, while mobile processors have (2Ghz ? really ?). And if you add multi-tasking too, expect some serious battery drain.

Or... the new iphone won't use that processor.