Tethering On iPhone - Why Hasn't It Come Yet?

Andy
Andy Posts: 1,127
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageTethering On iPhone - Why Hasn't It Come Yet?

For AT&T, 2009 has been a year of failed promises. The company promised to bring services like tethering and microcell to its subscribers this year. With the year gone by, there is still an uncomfortable hush over enabling tethering while the 3G microcell service has remained only in 'public trials'...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Wolverinemarky
    Wolverinemarky Posts: 518
    via Wordpress

Pdanet time everyone goes the jailbreak route and get tethering for free or use one of the other tweaks

• nerdkill
    nerdkill Posts: 6
    via Wordpress

I almost forgot how badly the iPhone and AT&T sucks since I switched to Verizon and my Droid. Thanks for reminding me. Too bad most of you will never know what it feels like to have a phone that does everything you want it to because you're so stuck on Apple. (posted from my tethered droid on 3g where AT&T has no service of course)

• Dean
    Dean Posts: 125
    via Wordpress

another $60+ $155

=$215
    att already has data problems and you want them bring tethering.
    it s like asking some body to add salt to his injuries.

• CTREV08
    CTREV08 Posts: 74
    via Wordpress

All I got to say is I use mywi for my tethering needs and it works so good that I turned my cable Internet off because I can turn it on and play xbox live with my dad on the computer and my sister talking on the magic Jack with out any lag. And if for some reason it does slow down a litle my whole familey has it on there phones I jsut have them turn it on on there's and that saves me alot of money that I need to get my own place again. So I think if they fryer to charge for tethering that it would just back fire and have even more people jailbreaking. I would like to see ur wannabe iPhone the droid do that son. Ps I wrote this on my tethered iPhone while my friend is playing call of duty, my dads on the other computer and my lil sis is talking on the magic Jack. What the droid trys to do the iPhone does. There's an app for that and so on and so forth

• toni
    toni Posts: 17
    via Wordpress

30 dollars my ass, jail break for ever.

• bastian gatten
    bastian gatten Posts: 43
    via Wordpress

Verison sucks. My iphone will forever download faster than your Droid.

• Z
    Z Posts: 333
    via Wordpress

try MyWi, i had pdanet for a long time and mywi is much better and faster

• nerdkill
    via Wordpress

I don't know how good "verison" is, but I can assure you that Verizon does not suck. As far as your iPhone downloading faster then droid theory I can assure you that isn't true. I didn't just switch to my droid, I bought it to test against my iPhone. I took both phones, entered the same web site, and pressed go at the same time. My droid took about 7 seconds to load and my iPhone took about 30 seconds to completely load the page. Is that Apple's or AT&T's fault? At the end of the day it really is Apple's fault because they picked AT&T. Your phone can be capable of downloading 50 times faster, but my droid will still be faster because of the network it's on. Stop drinking the Apple kool-aid Steve Jobs keeps serving you.

• Z
    Z Posts: 333
    via Wordpress

i downloaded 16.1GB in under 10 days. f-yes! AT&T is probably sending a hitman for me but oh well.

• nerdkill
    via Wordpress

Yeah, sorry I got tired of jail breaking, apple updating, waiting for hack, jail break again, re download all of my non apple approved apps when the non apple approved backup app doesn't work. Then to find out jail breaks like black rain has a bug and now i have to restore my phone again only to repeat this process about 100 times until the black rain dev updates his program, jail break now successful. re download all apps. blah blah blah blah. WHYYYYYYY. Because Apple wants to slowly feed you products every year that are already able to do what the one they're going to sell you next year can do. The sad this is you people will continue buying it. Not me, I'm off the Apple morphine drip.

• Julian
    Julian Posts: 25
    via Wordpress

i have thee iphone2g and iphone3g but now i have a windows mobile samsung jack.Att connection where I live but the 2g and the samsun jack phone has the worst edge signal but the iphone 3g have full reception but it haves the 3g but the other phone that i have has 3g but signal not that good.Att needs to get there crap together or im going over there and start slaping everybody in the store if they dont fix the freakin 3g/edge problem and bring tethering but i know its a hack for it but it will be nice if they aloud it.

• Someone
    Someone Posts: 39
    via Wordpress

Man, you guys really abuse the hacked tethering. No wonder people think ATT's network is garbage.

I have the tethering hack on my phone (still OS 3.0.1 or something), but I rarely use it. I would probably never use it for downloading 1G+/day, and have only used it for situations when the home dsl was out... power outages, etc. Typically this usage is just mail and web browsing.

I'm not telling anyone to "go easy on the bandwidth", but do think about what would happen if EVERYONE downloaded massive amounts of data on cell networks.

• Dean
    Dean Posts: 125
    via Wordpress

you right on the money dude

• Dustin
    Dustin Posts: 116
    via Wordpress

I think its all about location. I have an iPhone and i got the Droid the day it came out... no comparison to the iPhone. In Jackson, Ms, my iPhone downloaded around 40% faster than the droid could manage.. needless to say, i let Verizion have their phone back, but i do have a Verizon internet card, and a wifi adapter for it, so i have the best of both worlds.

• P_NY
    P_NY Posts: 20
    via Wordpress

Im totally with u men

• Alex
    Alex Posts: 383
    via Wordpress

In Los Angeles and my data is perfectly fine and no drop calls at all. Jb and tethering saves me $50 a month not having cable Internet. Downloads at about 400kbps and up 220kbps. Verizon provide excellent service but I'm happy with AT&T because of the company discount I receive.

• Muahahahah
    Muahahahah Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Location is what all cell service boils down to. I travel quite a bit and have to say ATT is the best overall hands down. It still cost a bit more but you get what you pay for. Someone is 100% correct. Tethering is more for emergency use not home use. People using any phone with similiar capabilities to the iphone on any network will have a great impact on performance. Nerdkill you are doing the same crap on a different network. In a month you will be complaining about the new droid having more features and whatnot. Hold an iphone and any other phone in your hand and you will know right away which one is better.

• Isht
    Isht Posts: 0
    via Wordpress
    Guest Posts: 44
    via Wordpress

Thanks for crapping up the network for the rest of us. If people only used it for the casual browsing or "emergency" situations that would be fine; but the people that play online games and download GBs of torrents are the reason why this whole problem exists.

• filthyjason
    filthyjason Posts: 21
    via Wordpress

I'm still on 3.0.1 w/ the tethering hack too. I only use it a handful of time for work, but it works great. I can be on a conf call and VPN'd in to work all on one phone - can Droid / Verizon do that?

• San
    San Posts: 10
    via Wordpress

I believe that it'll come soon