AT&T's Network Woes at CES Highlights Limitations Of Mobile Web

Andy
Andy Posts: 1,127
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageAT&T's Network Woes at CES Highlights Limitations Of Mobile Web

AT&T might have chosen to ignore data hogs and focus on improving their network capacity. But this has not improved the customer service levels to a major extent yet, as visitors to the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas realized. The Washington Post reports that a lot of people...

Read the full story here

Comments

• kDub
    kDub Posts: 48
    via Wordpress

i love my iphone..and i am glad that it is 'affordable' so that sooo many ppl can enjoy the product. and i agree..network congestion is bound to happen for any carriers.

but maybe the iphone should cost more..maybe apple should cut this exclusivity-crap out. then maybe actual support for the iphone would become better (less people complaining about trivial support issues). then maybe..there would be less "data hogs". I just don't think the carriers in the u.s. can support the growing number of data users.

i guess it all comes back to "a matter of time"

• Ray
    Ray Posts: 121
    via Wordpress

I agree the problem isn't going away and no amount of network expansion is going to fix it. All better networks will produce is more users clogging up the system.

The problem isn't poorly built networks, it's too many cheap devices.

The best and only way to deal with the problem is to make the phone more expensive. Now that Apple is up and running with the app store and has great momentum it's time to adopt the Google business model.

Now that the contract with AT&T is over they can open the phone to all networks, unlocking it. The price of the phone should also increase at least three fold. This would create a user exclusivity instead of a network exclusivity and do a great deal to freeing up the networks.

If all other phone manufactures adopt this business model they can all charge more for their phones. I bet the competitive price would settle around $600-$700 per device.

If the device manufactures don't want to cooperate then the networks could charge a per device annual premium for using such a device. $200-$400 a year would cut back on people with devices.

Those that pay up can enjoy cheap plans and unlimited data. A win-win for all.

It may not be what people want to hear, but it will fix the problem.

• Wolverinemarky
    Wolverinemarky Posts: 518
    via Wordpress

Are you drinking not all smartphones or manufacturers will do that cause they will lose market share. Do u think apple wants less iPhones in the market heck no they want everyone using their phone. They would lose millions upon millions of they adopted this method so would other smartphone manufacturers. There is no way to stop this phenomenon all that can be done is an attempt to slow down congestion but in the end it is all mute it's just a matter of time before all networks are congested

• Polito
    Polito Posts: 5
    via Wordpress

"If the device manufactures don't want to cooperate then the networks could charge a per device annual premium for using such a device. $200-$400 a year would cut back on people with devices."

It's called the iphone data plan that's already $360 a year if you haven't heard

• Ray
    Ray Posts: 121
    via Wordpress

Yes, yes, I know. I have an iPhone. I'm talking about an additional fee on top of the other monthly charges. For example, an iPhone or any smartphone user would pay $200-$400 a year then also pay the normal data and usage plan fees. It's a premium on top of the monthly fees already charged.

So the bill would be everything we pay now PLUS $200-$400 for having a smart phone.

So in your example just take all your totals now and add $200-$400 and you get the idea.

• Avster
    Avster Posts: 8
    via Wordpress

AT&T is the official carrier for the NY Yankees with a giant bilboard in the outfield. Yet the iPhone is unusable at Yankee games! We are unable to use our iPhones at the US Open tennis event as well. AT&T doesn't have the simple common sense to increase capacity at these venues even if thy are the official carrier. How embarassing for them. The people sitting next to us with Verizon blackberries have no issues.