AR.Drone Brings Augmented Reality Gaming to the iPhone

Andy
Andy Posts: 1,127
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageAR.Drone Brings Augmented Reality Gaming to the iPhone

The annual Consumer Electronics Show (CES) at Las Vegas has thrown up some interesting projects. For iPhone users, one of the coolest gaming applications you will come across was recently demoed at CES. Developed by Parrot, this gaming app, called AR.Drone lets you control a four-propellered flying machine with the...

Read the full story here

Comments

• merekpaine@hotmail.com
    via Wordpress

Gosh what a talent, would certainly love to get my hands on this (if my understanding is correct about it running on linux - i hope it would prevent me from using my iphone as a phone, otherwise .......

• merekpaine@hotmail.com
    via Wordpress
  • LeaveMeAlone
    LeaveMeAlone Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

This isn't gaming. It's just a toy

• Harsha
    Harsha Posts: 84
    via Wordpress

whats the point... will you see the iphone screen or the flying machine... ????? i understand its real but whats the point if in the end i m just seeing the video camera attached to the machine via iphone... as well i would play some game on iphone!!! dont you guys think?

• bert
    bert Posts: 6
    via Wordpress

I agree with LeaveMeAlone and Harsha. It's a brilliant concept as a UAV given the visual feedback relayed from the camera to the iPhone and pretty intuitive movement based control.

As AR gaming is concerned, the drone seems pretty redundant since we could just point the iPhone camera onto the gaming surface and render the AR image on the iPhone screen. At most, the drone lets you access hard to reach area like flying up to a roof of a building or something.

• AsoSako
    AsoSako Posts: 7
    via Wordpress

This is the most Retarded Idea ever... No I do not see this as the future of gaming. I imagine this is going to cost so much that nobody is going to buy it, and if somebody does they'd get bored with it really really fast (unless they are 5 years old). And worst of all it is very doubtful they'd find somebody else that has one so they can play the 2-person mode.

• kDub
    kDub Posts: 48
    via Wordpress

i think this thing could totally take off..
    imagine..30-40 of these in a warehouse..all of 'em flying around..crashing and knocking each other outta the air..sounds kinda fun. like some kinda tourney.
    so i guess each drone would have some sorta unique id that makes something like that possible? how far could wi-fi take these things?
    honestly..it seems sorta limited right now..but it could be the start of a great idea.

• jose
    jose Posts: 138
    via Wordpress

Kind of reminds me of the movie "gamer" pretty cool product but it's probably gonna cost more than the phone itself lol

• Mctint
    Mctint Posts: 6
    via Wordpress

this is awesome!! cant wait! oh yeah what range on wifi will it have, and if you loose connection will it just CRASH???

• Chris
    Chris Posts: 736
    via Wordpress

This shouldn't be too expensive. While the concept is new, the technology is not. Why it would be priced over $75-$100USD would baffle me. For that price, one could purchase a decent RC Heli.