Apple Patent Discusses Adding Contacts to Home Screen, Introduce Proximity-Based Advertising

Andy
Andy Posts: 1,127
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageApple Patent Discusses Adding Contacts to Home Screen, Introduce Proximity-Based Advertising

Earlier this month, we had written about a patent filed by the company which sought to bring a feature similar to Google Latitude on iPhone that would enable users to be notified when one of their friends are in the vicinity. In a new patent filed yesterday, the company seeks...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Jerry G
    Jerry G Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

I think advertising is getting out of hand and in your face. There is nothing "cool" or "good" about this. In fact it's just another way to annoy us with a pop up. I truly hope this feature has an off button.

• Ryan Grill
    Ryan Grill Posts: 23
    via Wordpress

Other than big cities, is there a market in smaller metro areas for this local advertising?

• Sean
    Sean Posts: 138
    via Wordpress

Regardless of whether or not there is an off button, I'm selling my phone if they ever do anything like this. I just can't support a company that does this sort of thing.

• kDub
    kDub Posts: 48
    via Wordpress

even tho i really dislike 'in-your-face' advertising, i think this could be a niche-market for apple. no body else is really doing anything like that..plus there are tons of iphone users out there that like iphone-specific things...'just because'.
    and if a business or small business could offer special promos or discounts based on this proximity triggered ad, i'm sure they would also see more traffic..and since it only pops up when users enable it, it could help users take advantage of discounts when available.
    i think the economy could benefit from this new technology.

• kDub
    via Wordpress

and..as far as annoying goes..it'll probably be only as annoying as the WiFi popping up when ur around businesses. isn't WiFi pretty much 'proximity-based'?

• Sean
    Sean Posts: 138
    via Wordpress

The Wifi popup is one of my biggest gripes with the iphone. I wish there was just a way to only notify about known networks. I leave wifi off most of the time because of it.

• kDub
    via Wordpress

i just don't see the problem there..

once you leave the area, the popup goes away.

besides..most smartphones have popups for WiFi..isn't the whole point of it for convenience?

• Devin
    Devin Posts: 14
    via Wordpress

Though it could get obnoxious, the fact that you will be able to turn it off is good-

Plus, if done right, the ads might even be an interesting feature.
    That is, if it doesn't kill your battery

• jose
    jose Posts: 138
    via Wordpress

Wow, when they were talking about putting stickers on windows that could be scanned for info, I mentioned something similar, only I was thinking mire in the lines of an FM type transmission sending video advertising apposed to having to walk up to a building to scann a sticker like some lost retard lol, maybe there is hope, the next step would be to use a proxi device in meusiums & other attractions, could be a first step to changing the way attractions function, sounds cool!!