Dual Version Of Apple Tablet Likely?

Andy
Andy Posts: 1,127
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageDual Version Of Apple Tablet Likely?

Apple's launch of the iPhone in 2007 revolutionized the mobile internet segment. AT&T claims that their network has seen a 7000% increase in wireless broadband usage since then. However, while the device was nothing less than revolutionary, the exclusive deal with AT&T meant that criticism regarding the poor network has...

Read the full story here

Comments

• kxxstarr
    kxxstarr Posts: 6
    via Wordpress

at&t obviously. verizon's 3G really is painfully slower. it's more the name "3G" put on it than the actual speed that should come with the name, like on at&t. if you're not in a 3g area, sucks for you and it really isn't too slow on edge, but when you are in 3g it is so much faster than verizon 3g.

• Sean
    Sean Posts: 138
    via Wordpress

Speed has never been been my biggest complaint with at&t, it has been the fact that in the past six months I haven't been able to stay on a call for longer than 10 minutes without it dropping (Also other general flakiness). The latency for data is also quite ridiculous, it averages 600-700ms for me. This has been happening to several of my friends recently as well and persisted on my phone even after a restore, so I know it is not just my phone. I would actually be happy to have the max speed cut in half if it meant it was more stable. I can't imagine what this extra load is going to do to them, hopefully they will also be announcing a CDMA iphone so I can switch.

• Onecool man
    Onecool man Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Nelson's quote suggests that , "because version builds their network off the phone, and Verizon rejected the iPhone the first time (before it was popular), Verizon therefore would be "crossing their fingers" like AT&T because it wasn't built for it" (AT&T has more expiernece and 3 generations under their belt with the iPhone while Verizon has none, meaning that the iPhone tecnically was built for AT&T)!

• Fleur
    Fleur Posts: 21
    via Wordpress

iPhone is a global worldwide product designed as a global product, not for a particular US operator. The iPhone works pretty well all over the world on other operators 3G and Edge networks. US is just one, not that big, market for the iPhone, the poor performances in the US are due to the ATT 3G network and the ATT vs Verizon battle is a local US problem.

• James
    James Posts: 258
    via Wordpress

One not that big market? Google is your friend, try it before you post stupid statements like that..."North America remains a key market for Apple’s handheld products, you’ll find 58 percent of iPhone and iPod touch users there". 58% of the total market is anything but "not that big".

• Fleur
    Fleur Posts: 21
    via Wordpress

First, do not mix iPhone and iPod Touch, 3G network issues is a problem for the iPhone not for the Touch. Most market analysts consider that the main reasons for the unexpected success of the Touch are the ATT exclusivity and the ATT network problems.

Second, your data (outdated now, end 2009 US dropped to only 50%) comes from AdMob that is mostly used by US users much less in EU and even less in Asia. AdMob people themselves warn "Remember AdMob data is based on the usage of mobile sites and apps, which is very different than if you were to look at estimates of device sales"