AT&T's iPad Deal Due to Carrier's Aggressive Pricing Strategy

Andy
Andy Posts: 1,127
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageAT&T's iPad Deal Due to Carrier's Aggressive Pricing Strategy

The last week of January saw extensive speculations regarding the networks Apple would partner with in the launch of the iPad. Back then, Fox News had reported strong possibilities for the launch of two versions of iPad - running on GSM and CDMA respectively. Since then, it has been revealed...

Read the full story here

Comments

• ipad?
    ipad? Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

forget about the ipad, get the joo joo http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/techchron/detail?entry_id=56641

it comes out before the ipad.

• dxs101
    dxs101 Posts: 52
    via Wordpress

man, if i had AT&T id convince them i had a ipad so I can have unlimited data for 30 bucks... im with rogers and there under the assumption I'm using a blackberry bold so my data plan is half the price then a iphone plan :)

• tim
    tim Posts: 173
    via Wordpress

Any news on UK carrier deals as yet??
    Asked O2 & Orange but they know nothing. Best one was O2 sales manager/gonk.
    Me: Any idea if O2 will be selling the Apple iPad??
    Sales Gonk: "No such product mate, you must mean the iPod"
    Me: "No, Apple released it 5 days ago"
    Sales Gonk: "No sir, they released the iPod years ago"
    Me: " i P A D, not iPod"
    Sales Gonk: "Must have been a typo sir"
    at this point, out comes my 3Gs and into Safari, shows Gonk the iPad pics on Apple website
    Sales Gonk: Ahh, amazing what you can do with Photoshop!! Can I interest you in the Nokia 5800??
    Me: (looking at him then my iPhone then back) No thanks, I have a 3Gs payandgo on O2
    Sales Gonk: oh, are they any good??
    I just walked out, I had to!! or I would have tried to beat the stupid out of him!!
    O2 Store, Trostre, Llanelli, Swansea, South Wales, UK...AVOID!!!! (or just go in if you enjoy getting wound up by untrained franchise Gonks) (Sales Girl there is stunning tho)

• Tankueray
    Tankueray Posts: 18
    via Wordpress

If the AT&T iPhone contract is up in June, it would behoove them to follow suit with the iPhone plans. T-mobile will probably follow suit with a cheap iPad plan, maybe even a combo iPad/iPhone plan.
    Apple just wants to sell their products, and soon won't care which carrier anyone uses. They could continue to get a $450 subsidy from AT&T for the iPhone, or sell them at $600 unlocked... As we're seeing with the 3.1.3 update, many users in other countries with iPhones got them from the US market, and they're getting locked back to AT&T. If AT&T is the unlock holdout, Apple won't need them in a few months.
    I guess we'll see with the iPad whether people are willing to pay up front for unlock and no contract.

• akrimay
    akrimay Posts: 23
    via Wordpress

U make a good point Tankueray, but Apple is no fool. While At&T's customer service sucks..they are the biggest carrier around with the best service..if Apple chooses to go w/other carriers and they start complaining that's not gonna be good for them as far as sales go..Is my opinion that Apple makes the best products and they choose to go w/the best carrier.