iPhone Application: SoonR Talk brings VOIP to your iPhone

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageiPhone Application: SoonR Talk brings VOIP to your iPhone

Apple and Cisco had announced that they would share the name "iPhone," Apple using it for its new smartphone, and Cisco using the name for their Linksys-branded VOIP phone for home networks thus resolving the "iPhone" trademark dispute. Apple might not be able to restrict use of iPhone for VOIP...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Eric
    Eric Posts: 238
    via Wordpress

but you still use minutes on your mobile account! i guess it's good for international calls.

• John Curry
    John Curry Posts: 5
    via Wordpress

Thanks for the credit in your article.
    While I had initial success (July13) seems that it wont work. As soon as the iPhone initiates a call on the Soonr server running on my desktop that server crashes. I have replicated this on two XP machines. However, if I use a laptop to initiate the call, the Soonr server calls my iPhone and then the party that I am trying to Skype to. I asked for help at the SOONR forums, and another user has also reported a similar crash behavior. I hope SOONR can fix this, it is such a wonderful thing to Skype on my $$$ iPhone.

• John Curry
    John Curry Posts: 5
    via Wordpress

Soonr has reported on their forums, that a fix is being worked on and will be posted soon.

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

Hey John,

Thanks for visiting iPhoneHacks.com

Thats good news, thanks for keeping us all posted on the issue it is very helpful, appreciate it.

cheers,
    iPhoneHacks.com Admin

• ZOverLord
    ZOverLord Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
  • Distortedloop
    Distortedloop Posts: 64
    via Wordpress

Enough already! Please! ;-)

It's not mobile voip if it uses my cell minutes and comes over the voice portion of the network. End of story.

Why would you want to bother with this process? Put your contacts in your contacts list and dial them...it will cost you the same (except of course the international process). Unless you're doing it for rate saving on international calls, why go through the extra steps.

Are we so desperate to have skype work on our iPhones that we'll call anything that uses our skype account the loing awaited solution?

It's not voip on the iPhone until it's handled over the EDGE network via either my web browser or some other application that uses the unlimited data, not the cellular minutes.

;-)

• Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Is there any chance of a true VoIP at some point?

I am planning to travel to Europe soon and would like to use my iPhone to call back to the United States via Skype or another VoIP. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe this method won't work for me. I'd have no phone service but I would have wireless internet access.

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

Hey Brian,

AT&T or carriers will definitely not let Apple add real VOIP as a feature in the iPhone. However we can definitely see it being introduced via an iPhone hack or using web based applications for the iPhone in the future.

You may want to check out the following posts:
    http://www.iphonehacks.com/2007/08/skype-on-iphone.html
    http://www.iphonehacks.com/2007/08/iphone-pcnow.html

They might be good workarounds to iPhone's limitation.

cheers,
    iPhone Hacks

• Josh
    Josh Posts: 265
    via Wordpress

id give this 4 thumbs down if i had 4 thumbs