Apple To Copy Protect iBookstore eBooks With FairPlay DRM

Andy
Andy Posts: 1,127
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageApple To Copy Protect iBookstore eBooks With FairPlay DRM

FairPlay, the digital rights management software that Apple employs for its TV show and movie content on iTunes could soon make its way to the iBookstore. According to an article published on the LA Times blog, Apple is likely to introduce the DRM technology to its ebooks marketplace in a...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Chris
    Chris Posts: 736
    via Wordpress

no it is apple being apple thats all

• Paul
    Paul Posts: 239
    via Wordpress

So can I or can't I upload my existing ebook collection from my pc to an iPad?
    I have 100's &100's of ebooks on all subjects that I currently sync to my 3Gs, if I can't do that with the iPad then the whole promoted e-reader side of it, is crap.
    Time will tell though

• Shriv
    Shriv Posts: 14
    via Wordpress

I'm pretty sure its just for the actual iBookstore books...think of it this way, if you already had existing MP3's before u bought your first iPod, doesnt mean you have to BUY those again...they are obviously DRM free too (mostly). Now if you have that music, with (suppose) DRM iTunes music. I'm quite positive the same feature will be there in the BOOKS section of iTunes (i'm sure they will have one, just like they added one for TV shows and apps)

• Paul
    Paul Posts: 239
    via Wordpress

Thanks Shriv
    I've invested so much in ebooks, audiobooks over the last 3 years I'd hate to spend hard earned cash on a device that would refuse me the useage.
    I currently use a modified netbook as a reader (dismantled screen and fitted twist hinge ala Asus )
    but use my iPhone an awful lot too
    the iPad looks really promising for a first release, gaming and surfing doesn't matter a huge deal to me, hoping the audio-reader works well though.
    Thanks Again, P

• unreal
    unreal Posts: 51
    via Wordpress

Good for Apple. I already don't buy DRM music or video. Now I can *not* buy DRM ebooks.

Every ebook I've purchased (currently cracked of DRM, and purchased in whatever is the least expensive crackable format at the time) is a duplicate of a dead tree book I already own. I resent buying the same data twice, but that's the business publishers are in; reselling data. I have duplicates because I use Stanza on my iphone as a way to easily carry a subset of my library, for when I'm out and about and need something to kill time. In no way is an ebook a substitute for a real book.

This DRM nonsense has to stop. The "publishing" business model, a centuries long "gap play" is over. Someone kick some dirt over the figgin' corpse.

The data was never that valuable. It was the limited bandwidth that made it seem so (between maker and consumer). That limitation is gone. Nothing to see here, folks. Next business model...

• Kailan
    Kailan Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Knocked my socks off with knolwdege!