Analyst: Entry-Level iPad Costs $230 to Manufacture

Andy
Andy Posts: 1,127
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageAnalyst: Entry-Level iPad Costs $230 to Manufacture

A recent study conducted by electronics market research firm, iSuppli has revealed interesting pointers on Apple's pricing strategy for the iPad. According to their estimates, there is a wide margin between the selling price and the cost of manufacturing the various models of the device. Based on the firm's bill...

Read the full story here

Comments

• DBS
    DBS Posts: 13
    via Wordpress

Now add the cost of the circuit boards. Tooling the machines to print the boards / place the components.
    the price of the housing and machine tooling cost.

Now lets add in designers, programmers, and artists...

your analyst is decidedly lacking.

• Sanyosh
    Sanyosh Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

U r right dude.....
    The hardware alone can't be valued as it's real cost
    so what wld they say about google or YouTube .... Couple of thousands dollars.????
    They should show some respect to designers and the engineers.....

• Jimbo
    Jimbo Posts: 23
    via Wordpress

if you notice, the article does say that R&D (Research and Development for you retards out there) cost are not included. There are various reasons as to why one would want to do an analysis of sort, one would be to see the real fluctuation in cost. This information may be useful in determining price cuts, which we are all interested in. And don't get me wrong Researchers, developers, and engineers are all worthy of noting.

• choemin
    choemin Posts: 6
    via Wordpress

research, development and software cost are difficult to quantify as staff maybe working across other projects including the iPad...

Thanks for the heads up on the cost of manufacturing an iPad.

• TimW
    TimW Posts: 430
    via Wordpress

The company I used to work for bought in EEPROM's at £6.99 (GBp) ans sell them programmed at just under £800 each
    hardware means nothing on it's own, it's sofware that makes it work
    or...
    A Toll bridge on a road with no cars makes no profit, introduce cars and the road network becomes something.
    Why the car analogy? People were expecting a beat-all luxury top end Apple car, and got a nice family saloon instead,
    Now we get some 'Analyst' stripping down the hardware saying it costs the same as a budget car
    Analysts! Does the world need them in these scenario's ??

• Franky j
    Franky j Posts: 142
    via Wordpress

In plain English the ipad sucks. Made well old technology that's all.

• HOT SLAG
    HOT SLAG Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Thanks for making us feel worse about spending so much money on apple products.
    I demand an apology for all the inconvenience hehe luv u loads xx

• P
    P Posts: 18
    via Wordpress

actually looks like a pretty narrow margin to me when you look at the other costs, and don't forget the retailers slice

• Raul
    Raul Posts: 8
    via Wordpress

I can't imagine all the R&D money spent on making the ipod touch 4 times bigger o.O