iPhone calling Asia: Thinking grey market? Wait for Apple's official iPhone launch

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
iPhone calling Asia: Thinking grey market? Wait for Apple's official iPhone launch

If the news that the iPhone launch in Asia will only be in 2008 was not bad enough for the millions of Apple fans, here is a word of warning for all those in Asia planning to beat Apple to the race by looking to import an Apple iPhone and...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Harry
    Harry Posts: 57
    via Wordpress

What *ARE* you smoking? This is the biggest piece of speculative drivel, presented as 'fact' I have read in a long time.

Your entire argument, claiming that asian users are SOL, is based on this statement of yours:

"This is because Apple's iPhone battery replacement program requires that you to send the iPhone back to Apple in the US which you cannot if you have bought it from the grey market."

First of all, the battery replacement program is for US iPhones, which, if you bought it from the grey market, your iPhone would be, and thus still qualify.

I fail to see how having bought a grey market product, somehow disqualifies it from being sent back to Apple. As long as the product has an Apple serial number, Apple will work on it, as long as you pay for it.

Furthermore, by purchasing an AppleCare agreement for the iPhone, which covers battery replacement, you will end up actually paying less for the replacement, and being covered for 3 years (by which time, I would hope, you would have upgraded your phone.) Again, an AppleCare agreement only requires a valid serial number, and to be purchased within the first year of life of the product.

Thus, I fail to see what actual evidence you base your 'warning' on - of far greater concern to anyone with an unlocked iPhone would be future Apple software updates wiping out the unlock hack, and having to apply it again, which may require sending it in.

There is actual evidence of users in Thailand having purchased an unlocked iPhone, and while being able to use the phone functionality, he is not able to use data functionality (via EDGE/GPRS), which appears to be locked to the APN set in AT&T sim, or something similar) - THAT is a real and genuine concern, not some hypothetical made-up speculation of concern over being able to send an iPhone in for service, or not...

• Jan Paricka
    Jan Paricka Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
  • FromSingapore
    FromSingapore Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Are you insane? Trust me, the people in Asia willing to grey-market the iPhone because they can't wait to get their hands on it are the very same people who will be trading up to a newer phone long before the 2 year battery life becomes an issue.

In addition I could repeat everything Harry said, but he's already said it very well.

• Herb
    Herb Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

I don't think the author of this article is firing on all thrusters! I am writing this in Bangkok and I own an iPhone (upgraded to 1.1.1). I am currently using it as my main telephone and it works with my Service Provider just fine.

As a matter of fact, we can now update to 1.1.2 if we (iphone users in Thailand) feel like it. There are plenty of developers here writing software for the iPhone. Please get your facts straight...search Google if you want to see the Thai iPhone forums, although you cann't read it since it's mostly in Thai.

Please, only write what you really know. Thanks.

• Nick Pheng
    Nick Pheng Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

Hey, can some one explain to me how the iphone works in Asia ? Has it been released there yet ?

• John
    John Posts: 790
    via Wordpress

Hi Hoping someone can help

I have an unlocked Iphone v1.12 using in Singapore all functions working well accept when somebody rings me only there number shows up not their name or photo from my contact list.

is this due to the stealth sim or due to ????

Thanks

John